Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PM your mailing address to me and I'll send you the Helicoil kit to fix the hanger on your Bullit, unless you've already ordered a VPFree ;)

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
daveM said:
Hey Kristian, if you need that Helicoil kit, my I can send it down with one of the locals going down for your Saturday ride.
Maybe I can get up that way tomorrow or the next day and bring it down to him. I'd swing by today, but I have an important event with a pro we chased up a trail in Fruita. Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Hey Dave

daveM said:
Hey Kristian, if you need that Helicoil kit, my I can send it down with one of the locals going down for your Saturday ride.
Sorry I haven't answered you yet--I keep meaning to check out how stripped it is but haven't had taken the deralliuer off. It has enough threads to hold the deralliuer for the moment at least but I should probably do something to it.

Is this something you just have laying around? If it's something you can spare, I would love it. Let me know how much it was and I'll pay-pal you for it.

I've never used a helicoil--are they difficult to put on?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm actually not very interested in the VPP Free--it's too heavy for a freeride bike! I think the Bullit is more than enough for me in the short term (well, short enough for me to build up a nice 5"/5" trail bike and then I'll start drooling over a new freeride bike :))

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
umm..not exactly free, but for the right oppurtunity I can disappear for awhile. :D

The man has me tied down to a 8-5 job.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
kitchenware said:
I'm leaving here at 3:00ish, not sure on the return time though.
watcha got going? my planned early morning in ned got delayed. ahem. just woke up 45 minutes ago.......

still going up there later, unless i find something better. ;0

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! What's up with Kathy...

Pruitt? You givin' trials lessons :)

Man, she sure was fast on Troybuilt, eh? But we did finally catch up with her (uhh, after she stopped for a ten minute break :rolleyes: ) She was pretty psyched about us 'representin' Santa Cruz so well :cool:

Great memories!

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, just laying around...

I have the kit (inserts,tap,drill bit, installation tool). It cost about $75, but that's for the tap and tool, the inserts are cheap. I got my use out of it, the Sports Garage in Boulder was going to charge me 'about' $60, so I figured what the heck, I'll get the whole kit for a tad more.

Don't worry about payin' me anything, I've had a ton of fun on your 'Springs rides. I'd just appreciate getting it back eventually.

It's easy to install, just drill, tap the hole (I'd better send a tap handle too) and thread in the insert. You'll need a dremel tool or a file to cut the insert(they're longer than the width of the dropout). On mine, I didn't drill all the way through the dropout, just almost. And I also didn't run the tap all the way through, that way the insert 'bottomed out' in the hole, instead of going all the way through. If you can let it set up, I'd also put some blue Loctite on the outside of the insert, to help keep it in place, when you remove the derailleur.

Clear as mud? Sounds like Jim's willing to be the courier :cool:

Five 'n' five trailbike? That'd be great! I like mine, though I hear '05 Enduros will be 6". And it sounds like there will be a ton of 6" single crown trail forks. Too bad I can't get the family to live on peanut butter sandwiches and ramen soup :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Clear as mud alright

Thanks Dave!

The 5 and 5 is a dream that I've had ever since the Bullit outgrew its ability to ride in Palmer Park. Unfortunately, at this point, it will be a dream for quite a while--at least it's still free to dream right? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.