Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 35" tires mounted as low as possible on a Teraflex hinge and carrier. I went NUTS trying to find a cradle rack that'd still let me open the tailgate (I hate frame hangers). I even bought and returned a Yakima hitch mount because even when the center posts were folded the bottom of the tire caught the upright part. I could use a drop hitch but then I'd have it sticking out from the Jeep way further than want.

Then I found this...
https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-spare-tire

Got the longer baseplate on eBay for a song to work with my 12.5" wide tires, and now I have a perfect rack. Giggity.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad it works for you, but I'd say this one's equally suited for the task, and also provides a better departure angle for those times your off road and don't want to ground your rack.

Link below shows one with the extended bits for tires at the back.

http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/ra/earth-cruiser-rack.html

I have mine on my ZR2 and it's the best rack I've owned...including a recon.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad it works for you, but I'd say this one's equally suited for the task, and also provides a better departure angle for those times your off road and don't want to ground your rack.

Link below shows one with the extended bits for tires at the back.

iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems | Iveco | EarthCruiser| Bike Rack | Review

I have mine on my ZR2 and it's the best rack I've owned...including a recon.

Nice truck! Any info about your bed rack? Is it a custom made? I'm thinking of getting the bakflip CS tonneau cover since it comes with a rack. Yours look more solid.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's an interesting rack. Need to keep in mind, folks that have the factory hinges, not aftermarket tire carriers, the extra weight of a big spare plus the weight of a rack and a bike, might cause issues with the tailgate
+1

I had a Thule Spare Time rack and the additional weight on the tailgate and the angle at which the weight pulled down on the tailgate caused the latch to fail. I was able to get it covered under my extended warranty to avoid a $200 repair.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice truck! Any info about your bed rack? Is it a custom made? I'm thinking of getting the bakflip CS tonneau cover since it comes with a rack. Yours look more solid.
The bed rack is from Voodoo. It's nice, and has room for the roll up cover. I was intending on putting a roof top tent on it, but decided to go with a canvas tent instead. In retrospect, I wish I'd have gotten the full height rack. Mine is the shorter one. The rack itself feels almost nuke proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.