Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Something goes here...
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Id for about 9 months. Live in the NW where it's rain, rain, slosh, slosh on the trail. She's held up great and I haven't had to do any maintenance on her at all. On last nights ride, I discovered that where the shock attaches to the frame by the BB is a little loose. I think I just need to replace the bushings but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem? Could it be something else? I'm only 150-155 lbs (probably 160-165 with pack) so I know it's not a weight thing.

I'm planning on taking her apart tonight to check but I'm almost positive it's just the bushing wearing out.

·
Something goes here...
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since nobody replied, I guess I'm the only one who has had this problem. I was looking at the bike last night and discovered that the bottom bolt on the shock had come a little loose. So if anybody else has this problem, check that first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Make sure your shock bolt is tight and not broken.....

A broken bolt will rattle before pushing out the ends. If so, replace with stronger bolts from your hardware store and don't waste your time in a place like Lowes or Home Depot.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
the bolts occasionally loosen...

...check for that first. Make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten them to the proper torque. It has bearings, not bushings, which should last quite some time unless you've been riding it loose for awhile.

Best,

Michael

Crash_FLMB said:
I've had my Id for about 9 months. Live in the NW where it's rain, rain, slosh, slosh on the trail. She's held up great and I haven't had to do any maintenance on her at all. On last nights ride, I discovered that where the shock attaches to the frame by the BB is a little loose. I think I just need to replace the bushings but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem? Could it be something else? I'm only 150-155 lbs (probably 160-165 with pack) so I know it's not a weight thing.

I'm planning on taking her apart tonight to check but I'm almost positive it's just the bushing wearing out.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
msylvan said:
...check for that first. Make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten them to the proper torque. It has bearings, not bushings, which should last quite some time unless you've been riding it loose for awhile.

Best,

Michael
Correction Michael, there are Aluminum bushings at the shock mount, not bearings.

Could be just a loose bolt, tighten it and see if the slack goes away.

One thing on FS bikes is, check bolts regularily. If a bolt loosens and you continue to ride it, you can really damage a bike. A loose bolt on a shock can shear the mounting hole on the frame or at least ovalize it. And I bet Mr T E will not warranty that kind of damage.

·
Registered
276 Posts
True that... my bad...

for some reason I was thinking swingarm bearings, not shock bushings. It's nice to be corrected or disagreed with on this board in a friendly fashion for once. Thanks man.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts