Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a mud infested ride with my Explorer Supersonics and they held up alright I guess, however on several occassions I had the Fred Flinstone tires going :p (slick and fat), as they were packed tight with caked on mud. I am not looking for a regular tire that works well in muddy conditions more specifically a mud only tire... If you have the wts. and were to buy them online that would be an extra plus... :)

Thanks,

Jag

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, I don't know if they were made for mud, but the Bontrager ACX Jones have worked well for me in 2 muddy races (as well as a few dry races). The tread appears to be somewhat similar to Hutchinson Mosquitoes.

I didn't weigh them myself, but they are claimed to be 460g each and I think they are pretty close.

·
Registered
161 Posts
things I've heard...

A bunch of racer types that I know of keep a pair of Hutchinson Mosquito 1.9 tires handy for when things turn muddy. I've also heard reccomendations on the Hutchinson Alligator (or was it crocodile?) back in the day that those were more common.

I've also heard great things about the Maxxis Medusa, in a 1.8. It's purely designed as a mud specific tire. I'm also a huge fan of Maxxis product (made in Georgia), I'm still looking to get a set of these should I ever see them around.

What you really want in a mud tire, is low volume casing, that will allow you to sink down through the softest mud. Then, you want widely spaced lugs, that will get traction without getting caked up. Close lugs pick up mud. Wide spaced lugs sling mud free. In the case of the medusa, it's actually wider than a 1.8, but that's the casing width. Then it has these great lugs that poke out. These are both respectable weight tires.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Jag said:
I just finished a mud infested ride with my Explorer Supersonics and they held up alright I guess, however on several occassions I had the Fred Flinstone tires going :p (slick and fat), as they were packed tight with caked on mud. I am not looking for a regular tire that works well in muddy conditions more specifically a mud only tire... If you have the wts. and were to buy them online that would be an extra plus... :)

Thanks,

Jag
The Pana racer Fire Mud 1.8 weighs 440g. Small casing, so-so on the front.
I love the Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1 (~550g) and there is a 1.5 version (under 400g claimed).
The Max xis Medusas 1.8 and 1.55 also look good.

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
- black shark mud 1.5 = maxxis medusa 1.55. great tire for deep muddy grass sections (only), bit scary on wet roads, small width makes for inferior grip on uphill gravel sections because the tire only rolls on two knobs. little volume results in poor traction in rooty sections. approx. 380 g

- i will receive a pair of panaracer fire mud pro tires today and might test them on the world cup course in schladming/AUT next WE. weight: 440 g (1.8"). i guess the overall performance will be better, esp. the grip in thick glogging mud. the small medusas and bl.sharks lack some traction when it comes to steep uphills with thick mud.

- the 1.8 medusa might be THE mud specific tire to go for, but i got a great deal on panaracers on ebay, so i had to postpone buying the medusas.

- i havent tested the michlin XLs tires yet, but i read various reviews saying that these pack up with mud pretty easily.

from what i have experienced there is no do-it-all mud tire that will handle any conditons well. as i said: medusa/bl sh 1.5 for grass-only or sandy, deep muddy races. fire mud pros for changing conditions and different sections (gravel, soil, grass, roots). in general, i'd say the thicker and deeper the mud, the thinner the tires (but find out yourself!)

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
1.75" Hutchinson Scorpions are OK in moderate constancy mud.

2.0" Hutchinson Mosquitos are also Ok in moderate muddy conditions but are not really suited to really gluey mud.

I like the sounds of the Fire Muds - might be just what I am looking for, for nasty mud only conditions.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Trevor! said:
1.75" Hutchinson Scorpions are OK in moderate constancy mud.

2.0" Hutchinson Mosquitos are also Ok in moderate muddy conditions but are not really suited to really gluey mud.

I like the sounds of the Fire Muds - might be just what I am looking for, for nasty mud only conditions.
I forgot one! the Pana racer TrailRaker 1.95, 530g (weigh them if you can. My pair came in at 497 and 579). MUCH better than the Fire Mud.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
I forgot one! the Pana racer TrailRaker 1.95, 530g (weigh them if you can. My pair came in at 497 and 579). MUCH better than the Fire Mud.
Great I will look out for some of those. I am picking up a pile of tires thanks to all your suggestions.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
When not much traction is required (like fast courses, just that they are wet), I like Maxxis Minoraur 380's for ultra-low rolling resistance at very decent grip.
For pure traction, and nothing but it, the Schwalbe 1.5 Black Shark climbs anything that's muddy. It just sicks to the harder surface, even if it's on the other side of the planet, you WILL find your traction. With one on the rear, I once had a race where I was the only one not unclipping for a whole laps, while for everyone else, there were several long walking sections. Too bad I was so lazy and unmotivated that day, and starting from mid-field, I was 5th, my best national XC sports finish ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts