Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
long standing member
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Acid look to you for an AM pedal? What are you psychic or something? Or were you on the development team? ;)

Patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
These pedals will work well while clipped in, but will have terrible grip while unclipped.
Also, I don't get the purpose of the plastic/carbon inserts, they are not touching sole, neither adding strength to the construction. The only thing I see, is that they can be more shin friendly, but this friendship could be frequent while riding unclipped.

The Mallets for comparisment use metal plates with grippy shape of 2 different lenght for the extra grip.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Stalk said:
These pedals will work well while clipped in, but will have terrible grip while unclipped.
Also, I don't get the purpose of the plastic/carbon inserts, they are not touching sole, neither adding strength to the construction. The only thing I see, is that they can be more shin friendly, but this friendship could be frequent while riding unclipped.

The Mallets for comparisment use metal plates with grippy shape of 2 different lenght for the extra grip.
The pedal body should touch the shoe's sole on each side of the cleat and provide more support than the Candy/Eggbeater. The sides are mostly where my shoes touch the Mallets.

I do see the lack of front/back grip plates making it easier to clip in quickly, reducing the need to ride unclipped in the first place.
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Very interesting

This is not the first time I've had an idea for a new product, only to see almost exactly the same thing released within a few weeks. Maybe I am psychic. I should have my own hotline! :D

I have to see them up close in the store before I make my final judgement, but it does look as though the guys at CB were thinking about the same weight vs platform issues as I was.
 

·
Master Of Fooliganism
Joined
·
483 Posts
Setting the trends!

Guyechka said:
This is not the first time I've had an idea for a new product, only to see almost exactly the same thing released within a few weeks. Maybe I am psychic. I should have my own hotline! :D
What's it like, having the industry hanging on your every word, CNC machines ready to roll at the mere utterance that rolls off of your tongue? :D

Could I put in a request? Please? Could you start talking up thumbshifters? Please? Like XTR level...(And to thwart all those 'how about the 9sp DA w/Paul mounts' posts, I know about them, have tried them, and don't like them).

If you did this for me, I'll name all my kids 'Guyechka':)

Oni
 

·
Your bike is incorrigible
Joined
·
3,179 Posts
Oni said:
What's it like, having the industry hanging on your every word, CNC machines ready to roll at the mere utterance that rolls off of your tongue? :D

Could I put in a request? Please? Could you start talking up thumbshifters? Please? Like XTR level...(And to thwart all those 'how about the 9sp DA w/Paul mounts' posts, I know about them, have tried them, and don't like them).

If you did this for me, I'll name all my kids 'Guyechka':)

Oni
Hey, I'm all for going back to thumbies now that I broke my brand new shifters after one fall. Those thumbies were indestructable.

As for the industry hanging on my every word, well I don't know about that. It just seems that both me and the guys who design components are thinking along the same lines every so often. The other time I can recall was back in the early 90s when front suspension was still new. I thought it would be a good idea to have a suspension fork that would move out and back as well as up and down. The point was to extend the wheelbase as the fork compressed, thus making the bike more stable. Guess what, a week after I had my idea I saw the forks in a magazine. Shiggy will probably remember what they were called. They didn't last long, and I can't even recall seeing them on a single bike.
 

·
Master Of Fooliganism
Joined
·
483 Posts
Shhh!

Guyechka said:
Hey, I'm all for going back to thumbies now that I broke my brand new shifters after one fall. Those thumbies were indestructable.

As for the industry hanging on my every word, well I don't know about that. It just seems that both me and the guys who design components are thinking along the same lines every so often. The other time I can recall was back in the early 90s when front suspension was still new. I thought it would be a good idea to have a suspension fork that would move out and back as well as up and down. The point was to extend the wheelbase as the fork compressed, thus making the bike more stable. Guess what, a week after I had my idea I saw the forks in a magazine. Shiggy will probably remember what they were called. They didn't last long, and I can't even recall seeing them on a single bike.
You aren't supposed to mention the trends that failed! :thumbsup:

Was it the Lawill Leader fork? It sorta looked like it was a rigid fork in front of another rigid fork? I seem to remember it compressed in a weird way. Think one of tomorrow's riding buddies still has one mounted on his pro-floater. I'll ask.

Oni
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top