Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out the motherboard on my laptop fried on me. That's why it was acting the way it was. The guy said it'll cost almost $700 to replace (parts and labor) so I'm just going to get a new one. The shop guy said though that I should be able to get some nice $$$$ in salvage parts on e-Bay.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gripshift said:
That's a pretty hefty price. You could buy a real nice used laptop for that price on ebay.
I had a Compaq 2100. Nothing fancy. The guy said he checked around and could've bought a motherboard off of e-bay, but had no warranty and was sold "as is" and everywhere else wanted $500.00 for a new one. Plus labor was about $150.00 so almost $700 when you include tax. He was a VERY nice guy and let me pick his brain about laptops so I've replaced it now with a Toshiba. Seemed to be the best choice and everyone I've talked to say's they're probably the best of a mass market laptop. The only thing I don't like is manufacturers are doing away with the old Com (serial) ports and my GPS still uses that. I bought a serial to USB adaptor and it works with all my other stuff but not my GPS. I think the GPS cable is bad though. I tested it on 3 different 'puters with com ports and couldn't get it to connect. I've ordered a new cable off of e-bay and will test that theory when I get it. Wish me luck. I've talked with Magellan about a USB cable and they don't make one right now and told me that even if they did, it wouldn't work with my GPS due to hardware issues but their next generation of stuff will be USB compatible. Go figure. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts