Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!! well I have really got into biking nad I love it!!!! Im a very active person anyway so its just a blast! But I have a few questions for the ladies :)... first off im on a mission to try and loose say around 10 or 15 lbs....and obviously biking is great exercise....but is it say compared to working out at a gym...a good workout to help me achieve my goal??? also....( especially for the ladies :) ) will biking help to trim and tone those EVIL inner thighs???! thanks girls!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
long easy rides are the best for burning fat.

·
Homegrown
143 Posts
I've lost a bunch of weight this year just through cycling. I haven't really changed my diet at all, except maybe to slightly decrease my portion sizes. I will say though, that I have been riding pretty much every day - in fact, I just finished 6 days in a row - a mix of MTB and road.....

I was pretty shocked a couple of weeks ago to be down to my former Weight Watchers goal weight - haven't been there in about 7 years.....

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
Disclaimer: I am not an expert and tend to be a yo-yo weight gainer myself but... what has worked or me, like Cyclemaniac said: Long slow rides are best if you're looking for weight loss. Work up to at least one 3+ hour ride per weekend with some shorter 1 to 2 hour rides mid-week. Try to ride 4 to 5 times a week. Fight the temptation to go too fast too often, you may get faster but you won't lose weight as quickly. Also keep in mind that it takes several weeks for the working out effect to kick in. For the first 6 weeks or so, you may actually gain some weight because you will be increasing muscle mass in your legs. So if you don't see progress right away on the scale, try gauging it by how your clothes fit for a while or how you look in the mirror and don’t ever look in the mirror the week before your period ;).

You also need to balance caloric intake with energy expenditure. Keep in mind that if you try to starve yourself while working out a lot, you're undermining your weight loss goals and actually making it harder to lose the weight as your body will actually slow down your metabolism if it begins starve. Aim for no more than 1 pound a week (that's approximately a 500 per day calorie deficit). Frankly, it's much more realistic to try for 1/2 pound a week, especially if you're a smaller person. I recently added some running in to my workout as a form of cross training and that has really kicked my metabolism up a notch.

Biking is a fantastic sport for weight loss as long as you keep it up and do it regularly enough. One last thought: don't try to work out too much at the beginning. Your body needs to adapt to biking and you risk injury if you try to do too much too fast. Don't try riding 3 hours right away. Start with several 1 hour short rides a week and do that for a few weeks. That will adapt your leg muscles and butt to cycling. Keep up with the multiple shorter rides per week, then add one longer ride per week starting at 1.5 hours and adding about 1/4 to 1/2 hour to that long ride each week. In a few months you'll be doing 3+ hour rides and not burn-out in the process. Eventually you’ll probably be doing one short ride a week, two medium rides and one long ride per week. It’s good to mix it up a bit as you get into better biking shape.

Biking doesn't do much for the inner thighs specifically, but general fat loss applies to the entire body. There's no such thing as spot fat removal.

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Not knowing what kind of gym workout you do, we can't really say how biking compares to it.

I know of no way to trim a specific part of one's body. You lose weight overall, not in one spot. You can strengthen a specific body part, but that is different. I don't think biking hits the inner thigh muscles much.

I found that commuting to work (ie road riding) was way more effective for me than mtbing (ie trail riding) as far as losing weight goes. My commute was 1 hour each way and after a spring and summer of doing it 2 times a week, I had lost about 5 pounds.

Spike

contrysky05 said:
Hey!! well I have really got into biking nad I love it!!!! Im a very active person anyway so its just a blast! But I have a few questions for the ladies :)... first off im on a mission to try and loose say around 10 or 15 lbs....and obviously biking is great exercise....but is it say compared to working out at a gym...a good workout to help me achieve my goal??? also....( especially for the ladies :) ) will biking help to trim and tone those EVIL inner thighs???! thanks girls!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven't lost any weight, but fat has definitely been replaced by muscle since I started riding. Even my heinously un-observant boyfriend noticed, commenting on how muscly I was getting. I'm certainly happy with the workout I get, and it's way more fun than sitting in a gym on a cycle, or moving heavy things around.

-skink

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you!

dirtcrab said:
Disclaimer: I am not an expert and tend to be a yo-yo weight gainer myself but... what has worked or me, like Cyclemaniac said: Long slow rides are best if you're looking for weight loss. Work up to at least one 3+ hour ride per weekend with some shorter 1 to 2 hour rides mid-week. Try to ride 4 to 5 times a week. Fight the temptation to go too fast too often, you may get faster but you won't lose weight as quickly. Also keep in mind that it takes several weeks for the working out effect to kick in. For the first 6 weeks or so, you may actually gain some weight because you will be increasing muscle mass in your legs. So if you don't see progress right away on the scale, try gauging it by how your clothes fit for a while or how you look in the mirror and don’t ever look in the mirror the week before your period ;).

You also need to balance caloric intake with energy expenditure. Keep in mind that if you try to starve yourself while working out a lot, you're undermining your weight loss goals and actually making it harder to lose the weight as your body will actually slow down your metabolism if it begins starve. Aim for no more than 1 pound a week (that's approximately a 500 per day calorie deficit). Frankly, it's much more realistic to try for 1/2 pound a week, especially if you're a smaller person. I recently added some running in to my workout as a form of cross training and that has really kicked my metabolism up a notch.

Biking is a fantastic sport for weight loss as long as you keep it up and do it regularly enough. One last thought: don't try to work out too much at the beginning. Your body needs to adapt to biking and you risk injury if you try to do too much too fast. Don't try riding 3 hours right away. Start with several 1 hour short rides a week and do that for a few weeks. That will adapt your leg muscles and butt to cycling. Keep up with the multiple shorter rides per week, then add one longer ride per week starting at 1.5 hours and adding about 1/4 to 1/2 hour to that long ride each week. In a few months you'll be doing 3+ hour rides and not burn-out in the process. Eventually you’ll probably be doing one short ride a week, two medium rides and one long ride per week. It’s good to mix it up a bit as you get into better biking shape.

Biking doesn't do much for the inner thighs specifically, but general fat loss applies to the entire body. There's no such thing as spot fat removal.

Hello! Well to start off thank you very much for such a wonderfull post reply! Your advice was very usefull :)...well i have been biking everyday so far but only for maybe less than an hour...because for one i NEED a new bike its a piece of junk lol...and also at the area Im in..( i live on a college campus,,NIU) its hard for me to find long distance places to ride where im not getting hit by cars or crazy college students! Im on the lookout for some good long distance places to ride. About the weight man it can be so frustrating... But I have come to love biking and I think that with that love driving me to do it more..the weight will partner along with it...ya think?! ;) Also watching what I eat but making sure I eat enough is a good point. thanks again so much and hoepfully by you i can be encouraged to get out there and GO!! but I am deffinitly in need of a new bike...hopefully coming soon!!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
you guys are leaving out the food part. Eat less, and eat better quality food than you've been eating. Strive for balanve, dont' eliminate a certain food group because it is the current fad.

you can go to a site like http://www.fitday.com/ to log what you are eating and see what kind of changes you need to make.

formica

·
Registered
256 Posts
spot reduction

Spike said:
I know of no way to trim a specific part of one's body. You lose weight overall, not in one spot. You can strengthen a specific body part, but that is different. I don't think biking hits the inner thigh muscles much.
Spike
Got that right! I'm a trim person, but I've got the baggy inner thigh thing going on. Swimming, horse back riding, rugby, cycling, NOTHING gets rid of those pockets of fat. Well, nothing short of the surgical vacuum cleaner, and I ain't goin there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Measure Fat Loss not weight loss

Glad to hear you have been bitten by the cycle bug! As an active person, just remember that its not the # on the scale that matters..if you don't eat enough, 1, you wont have the energy to get a good workout in and ,2, you will lose muscle mass. We all know muscle weighs more than fat, so dont let a creepy # dictate things for you...just use it as a guide, weighing yourself each week. Eat too much and we know what happens.
The girls here have it right, eat what you want, just pay attention to portions...its amazing the difference it makes over a period of time. Not sure if you can ride year round (weather issues) but taking a structured spin class in the off season is a big help. I have gone all summer riding both road and MTN. regularly, and have found the quickest fat loss is when I have a week of 2-3 RPM spin classes, 45 minutes and done, I use it as a supplement to riding. Lift weights too! The more tone and active your muscles are, the faster your metabolism is to burn fat. There are many ways to lift, do some research to find out what would work for you best, doesnt mean you have to bulk up, it just means you will tone up. Good luck and enjoy your new passion!

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
formica said:
you guys are leaving out the food part. Eat less, and eat better quality food than you've been eating. Strive for balanve, dont' eliminate a certain food group because it is the current fad.

you can go to a site like http://www.fitday.com/ to log what you are eating and see what kind of changes you need to make.

formica
Shut up Formica :mad: :mad: :mad: I did too mention food! ;) What's wrong with McDonalds! ;)

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
One, two punch

Well, I actually had to eat more when I was commuting more, but I still ended up losing weight. But changing diet and exercising would be a more effective one-two punch than exercise alone, probably... you don't want to let your metabolism slow down by restricting food too much.

Spike (loves to eat)

formica said:

formica

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
dirtcrab said:
Shut up Formica :mad: :mad: :mad: I did too mention food! ;) What's wrong with McDonalds! ;)
oops I guess you did... I must have missed that. Please don't hurt me.

I read an interesting thing in TIME today. There is an article about living to 100, with a focus on Okinawa Japan. One of the philosophies in that culture is "8 out of 10" Of course I can't remember the Japanese, but the idea is to eat until you are 80% satiated, not 100%.

formica

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
formica said:
the idea is to eat until you are 80% satiated, not 100%.
Good idea. Supposedly there is a lag between eating and feeling satisfied - if you pace your meal you will feel fuller with less as well.

Which reminds me of another thing - I have started drinking "recovery" drinks post workouts (especially when they are very strenous) and find that they really curb my appetite so that I can often go a couple of hours before eating food - stops the "standing in front of the 'fridge and cramming everything that fits in your mouth" phenomena that Sabine so eloquently once described.

Also I have been trying to eat healthy post ride meals when possible rather than eating a burger and fries as a "reward" in my attempt to get healthier. I've given up on losing pounds, whether its running or biking or nothing I stay the same. I look thinner now though.

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
formica said:
oops I guess you did... I must have missed that. Please don't hurt me.

I read an interesting thing in TIME today. There is an article about living to 100, with a focus on Okinawa Japan. One of the philosophies in that culture is "8 out of 10" Of course I can't remember the Japanese, but the idea is to eat until you are 80% satiated, not 100%.

formica
LOL... Like I could hurt you if I wanted to. Have you seen a picture of me? ;)

There are studies that show that calorie restricted mice live significantly longer and healthier lives than mice with higher calorie diets. Of course this has nothing to do with eating "enough" to sustain an active lifestyle.

One last thing, you can shove the worst food (fat greasy nasty food like McDonalds and chocolate pie for dessert) down your throat and still lose weight. Weight loss is completely dependent on calorie intake versus calorie expenditure. Whether you eat ?healthy? or not, it boils down to a simple math equation. Of course health issues like blood pressure and cholesterol levels can potentially go through the roof if you live on a high fat diet -- not to mention that you?ll probably feel like crap if you eat crap. Also, if you're an inactive person and you go on a calorie restricted diet you lose muscle mass, not necessarily fat. It's better to exercise and increase muscle mass which in turn burns more fat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts