Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=148412

I have had no internet access, so I haven't been able to get to this site. I'm at my girlfriend's house, so I'm excited about getting a chance to post.

First of all, thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging responses to my thread. It was great to get all that support and the encouragement meant so much. Even with a good attitude, there are still moments of fear that creep in and the messages of all of you helped me through that tremendously.

Turns out that the surgeon had to replace my valve, which he hoped he wouldn't have to do. I received a mechanical valve, which means that I'm on blood thinner and will be on it for the rest of my life. It doesn't mean I can't ride, it just means I have to be mindful of the risks I take. Since I'm a wussy, slow rider, that's not too much of a limitation. :)

What's interesting is that the valve ticks like a watch, which a couple of people alluded to in their messages. You kind of get used to it. From my point of view, I see it as a reminder that God has given me more time with my life, and I should constantly reevaluate what I'm doing with that time. It's pretty amazing. Pretty big incision, but the scar looks like it will heal up pretty well.

Healing is going okay. I'm impatient by nature, so I'm really trying to take it easy. Can't lift much for a while, can't drive for a few more weeks, etc. Don't know when I'll be able to get back on the bike, but I'm off work till the end of February. Hopefully before then I'll start walking more and gradually build my strength up.

I'm debating if I should part out my bike (29er hardtail singlespeed) and see about getting another geared full suspension bike, just to make the riding a bit easier. We'll see about that.

Until then, I'm playing guitar, reading, and watching a lot of ESPN. Thanks so much to all of you, and your thoughts and prayers made a huge difference. Hopefully I'll see you out on the trails in a few months.

And you thought I was slow before . . . :)

Joel

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Joel , great news! I am sending up new prayers for a full recovery. Come up for the next May by the Bay and I'll slow ride with you. -Fred

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
So glad to see your post...

Was getting a bit worried for you Joel.

Glad to see things are on track. Peace be with you bro. :cool:
Heal up, be safe, and ride another day my friend.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Nice to hear it went well. Heal fast.

The next question is. Did you have any long term memory loss issues from the surgery?

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
Dont know you but congratz on finding the problem beffor it did took a valuable life. The New Year is almost here so you can start excersizing the new pump for more adventures. Have a awsome new year, god is looking over you.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
I know you are going to have a great New Year! Wonderful news.

:D

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
whew!

we don't know each other either, but as a fellow MTBR bro, I was checking back hoping to see some good news on your recovery. Glad to finally hear you're ok.

I'll raise a glass of bubbly in your general direction tonight!

Jeff

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Great News

Hey Joel,

Glad to hear you came thru surgery fine.. Heal up good and then you
can ride again for the rest of your life.. I rode with you at AZSF a few yrs ago.
I had a purple SC Superlight and you had the white SC...

Get well and Happy New Year,,

Johnny K

Attachments

·
iheartMTNs
139 Posts
great news joel

your determination to get back out there and lay tracks on the trails inspires me. ditto what fred-da-trog said if you make May by the Bay, be happy to caress the cranks with ya.
e

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
So glad to see you posting again! :)

Now I can chuckle at the thought of total strangers on MTBR demanding to know your whereabouts in the other thread. He just had major surgery for cryin' out loud! :p

Hey, this is my first post for 2006. May you take a lickin' and keep on tickin' :cool:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Excellent news!

Lotta peeps were worried. Check your original thread and you'll see that there was a lot of concern when there was no word, and folks couldn't make contact. Glad to see you made it through surgery, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope you're back out on the trails soon.

Blessings,

Bob

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Great to hear!!

That really is great news. Take it easy during recovery, as it will aid in the healing.

I know we all had you in our thoughts that Wednesday at 7am when you went in for surgery. I actually just thought the other day "I wonder if that dude's surgery went alright and hope he's doing great".

As with many others in here, I don't know you, but we all wish a fellow mtb'er nothing but the best, both in riding and in health.

Later!

:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Amazing. What technology and doctors have done to allow active people to stay in active lifestyles. But the person has to want to continue and not give up when a situation comes up. Anyway, I have been away from here for some time and still am somewhat a new poster here. Keep going, but know the limits.

·
Registered
494 Posts
There's a group of guys that will be riding in Chapel Hill tomorrow, we'll be thinking of you. Glad that you're doing well.
c

·
Registered
353 Posts
Billy Zoom said:
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=148412

I have had no internet access, so I haven't been able to get to this site. I'm at my girlfriend's house, so I'm excited about getting a chance to post.

First of all, thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging responses to my thread. It was great to get all that support and the encouragement meant so much. Even with a good attitude, there are still moments of fear that creep in and the messages of all of you helped me through that tremendously.

Turns out that the surgeon had to replace my valve, which he hoped he wouldn't have to do. I received a mechanical valve, which means that I'm on blood thinner and will be on it for the rest of my life. It doesn't mean I can't ride, it just means I have to be mindful of the risks I take. Since I'm a wussy, slow rider, that's not too much of a limitation. :)

What's interesting is that the valve ticks like a watch, which a couple of people alluded to in their messages. You kind of get used to it. From my point of view, I see it as a reminder that God has given me more time with my life, and I should constantly reevaluate what I'm doing with that time. It's pretty amazing. Pretty big incision, but the scar looks like it will heal up pretty well.

Healing is going okay. I'm impatient by nature, so I'm really trying to take it easy. Can't lift much for a while, can't drive for a few more weeks, etc. Don't know when I'll be able to get back on the bike, but I'm off work till the end of February. Hopefully before then I'll start walking more and gradually build my strength up.

I'm debating if I should part out my bike (29er hardtail singlespeed) and see about getting another geared full suspension bike, just to make the riding a bit easier. We'll see about that.

Until then, I'm playing guitar, reading, and watching a lot of ESPN. Thanks so much to all of you, and your thoughts and prayers made a huge difference. Hopefully I'll see you out on the trails in a few months.

And you thought I was slow before . . . :)

Joel

1 - 20 of 32 Posts