Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up people? I am planning to buy a bike soon and have a few questions. first of all, I'm 6'1 260. I have heard that Gary Fisher makes excellent bikes. Made mostly for taller people. I know ideally MTB aren't made for guys as big as I am, but looking at getting the Hoo KOO e Koo or Tass. Which do you suggest? Are they built as solid, if not more than Specialized bikes? I am particularly interested in a frame I can build off of later down the line.Because of my size should I get a bigger (19 inch or 21 inch) bike? I will basically riding on the streets and some trails, but may go further. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
UNITH said:
whats up people? I am planning to buy a bike soon and have a few questions. first of all, I'm 6'1 260. I have heard that Gary Fisher makes excellent bikes. Made mostly for taller people. I know ideally MTB aren't made for guys as big as I am, but looking at getting the Hoo KOO e Koo or Tass. Which do you suggest? Are they built as solid, if not more than Specialized bikes? I am particularly interested in a frame I can build off of later down the line.Because of my size should I get a bigger (19 inch or 21 inch) bike? I will basically riding on the streets and some trails, but may go further. Thanks for the help.
If you're just getting into MTB then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 6'1 and when I started I weighed 280-290 and road a stock Lg/19 GF Marlin w/o problems. If you're not jumping (or downhill) then you shouldn't have problems breaking a frame.

I'm around 210 and am definitely dish out more abuse (knock wheels out of true and wreck cheap 1-bolt seatposts) now then I did at >250 because I'm a bit more aggressive.

You'll definitely want to get the shop to swap stronger springs in the forks.

As for size I need a 24"-24.5" Top Tube length (usually a Large/20-22" frame) because I've got a longer torso/shorter legs (32" cycling inseam) and I road a Lg Marlin (24.7 TT w 105mm stem) My guess is you'd be a LG/19 GF (TT 24.7), maybe a Md/17.5 (TT 23.9) and since GF runs long. Specialized Lg (TT 24.2) but probably not a XL (TT 25.2).

If you're in-between sizes then I'd recommend going down in size as long as you keep the stem around 90-120mm. You'll get more standover and a shorter wheel base.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.