Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
thin blue line
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can't leave me hanging. You feel that going from a cheap HT (or hybrid as you so eloquently put it) to a 6" FS AM is too big a jump. Aside from weight, tell me why it is you feel this way. I am, after all, still fairly new to this, so educate me on why it is I should go with the 4-5" FS XC over the AM. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
You got my attention good work.

So my thinking is your going from one extreme to the other. Your literally going from a bike designed for back roads and bike paths to a bike made for doing just about anything. Maybe thats the reason why you want a AM bike because you want to be able to do everything? I just feel your going in head first and possibly not considering that AM bikes are heavy, slower turning, and made for really big drops and jumps. That doesnt mean you cant ride it on a normal XC trail, but its going to be a lot more work.

If it is possible you should think about renting a AM bike, taking it out and see how you like the AM riding.
 

·
thin blue line
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I'm following you now. Appreciate the info. Just out of curiosity, what would be the most one could hope to achieve with the 4-5" XC's? In other words, if I was to leave Texas and go to Colorado, could I (comfortably) ride the downhill trails of those mountains with the XC? I just don't want to limit the possibilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
thoggard said:
Alright, I'm following you now. Appreciate the info. Just out of curiosity, what would be the most one could hope to achieve with the 4-5" XC's? In other words, if I was to leave Texas and go to Colorado, could I (comfortably) ride the downhill trails of those mountains with the XC? I just don't want to limit the possibilities.
Honestly, I have no idea what you could achieve with a bike. Different bikes can handle different things. I also have no idea about the terrain in Texas or the Terrain in Colorado.

Can you do a DH course with a XC Bike? Sure, you just not going to be able to do it as fast, as a DH Bike.

I think there is some research in your future. Perhaps check the Texas Forum or Colorado forum and see what they say.

I do think your going to have a tough time finding just a frame to build in your size, for AM riding. You might want to go back in to your other topic and get some recommendations for a frame that does come in your size that is available online, or in a store.
 

·
thin blue line
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
NeverFree said:
lol dremer your advice is terrible, and sadly thoggard doesn't know any better but to listen to your advice..
..............................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
NeverFree said:
lol dremer your advice is terrible, and sadly thoggard doesn't know any better but to listen to your advice..
Which advice? You say I gave him bad advice, which advice was that, so I can avoid giving it in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
..............................
Do you have a crush on me or something? Every time someone posts my name there you are with your little ".............................".

No reason for you to even find this topic unless you were doing a search for my name which is a little
 

·
um hmmm
Joined
·
151 Posts
You tell the guy that going from hardtail to a 6" FS is too big a leap from one type of bike to the other. Since when is there an order for type of bike you have to buy?

The "AM" bike you describe sounds an awful lot like a freeride bike, too heavy and slow and big drop and jump focused etc. Not all AM bikes are like that.

You clearly have not looked at any All Mountain "AM" bikes from real bike companies. Sette doesn't count.

there are alot of lightweight choices from a lot of companies in the 6" travel range. Even 5" travel range.

Before you say get this bike or that you really should be asking what his riding style is or what he wants to be able to do with the bike. Also where he rides.

So theres alot of qeustions for thoggard.


Dremer because you don't have a lot of experience. ie, you've never worked in a bike shop and you just started riding recently you really shouldn't give out advice to people.

I can see you want to be helpful but really you should sit back, relax, and enjoy the forum by reading it. Don't post for a while just read and learn then you can see why people get annoyed by what you post misinformation or incomplete info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
NeverFree said:
You tell the guy that going from hardtail to a 6" FS is too big a leap from one type of bike to the other. Since when is there an order for type of bike you have to buy?

The "AM" bike you describe sounds an awful lot like a freeride bike, too heavy and slow and big drop and jump focused etc. Not all AM bikes are like that.

You clearly have not looked at any All Mountain "AM" bikes from real bike companies. Sette doesn't count.

there are alot of lightweight choices from a lot of companies in the 6" travel range. Even 5" travel range.

Before you say get this bike or that you really should be asking what his riding style is or what he wants to be able to do with the bike. Also where he rides.

So theres alot of qeustions for thoggard.

Dremer because you don't have a lot of experience. ie, you've never worked in a bike shop and you just started riding recently you really shouldn't give out advice to people.

I can see you want to be helpful but really you should sit back, relax, and enjoy the forum by reading it. Don't post for a while just read and learn then you can see why people get annoyed by what you post misinformation or incomplete info.
I guess you missed the 2 other topics where he said his riding style and the kind of bike he wants/needs were discussed.

EDIT: He also only wants to spend a few hundred on a AM frame to build a bike that costs less than $2,000.00

Everything you said was valid, but almost none of it applies to the OP, because he doesnt want to spend the lots of money which is what it would be if he built a light AM, FS bike. It stunned me when AZ.MTNS suggested he buy a $2,000 Frame.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I guess you missed the 2 other topics where he said his riding style and the kind of bike he wants/needs were discussed.

EDIT: He also only wants to spend a few hundred on a AM frame to build a bike that costs less than $2,000.00

Everything you said was valid, but almost none of it applies to the OP, because he doesnt want to spend the lots of money which is what it would be if he built a light AM, FS bike. It stunned me when AZ.MTNS suggested he buy a $2,000 Frame.
the budget is now 3000.00 , the frame you speak of was an example that was to demonstrate that he could in fact get the correct size , instead of following your ill advice of trying to make the too small s--t bike that you were pimping fit . You really should quit posting with advice , especially in matters that you have little knowledge of .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
the budget is now 3000.00 , the frame you speak of was an example that was to demonstrate that he could in fact get the correct size , instead of following your ill advice of trying to make the too small s--t bike that you were pimping fit . You really should quit posting with advice , especially in matters that you have little knowledge of .
I was asked a question, I gave a answer, if you dont like it GTFO :thumbsup:
 

·
um hmmm
Joined
·
151 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I guess you missed the 2 other topics where he said his riding style and the kind of bike he wants/needs were discussed.

EDIT: He also only wants to spend a few hundred on a AM frame to build a bike that costs less than $2,000.00

Everything you said was valid, but almost none of it applies to the OP, because he doesnt want to spend the lots of money which is what it would be if he built a light AM, FS bike. It stunned me when AZ.MTNS suggested he buy a $2,000 Frame.
I'm not the type to go searching through someones post history to pick them out a bike. Regardless of that, with his $3000 budget he can get a very nice complete bike.

Buying a frame and building part by part costs more to do and for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with bikes its not the best way to go.

And I'll back up what AZ.MTNS said don't tell somebody to buy the wrong size bike when you don't know how to properly size a bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
Dremer03 said:
Read these

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=586422

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=586213

I never told him to buy the wrong size frame, in fact I was the first person to suggest he get fitted before moving forward.
QUOTE: Perhaps if we knew what your current bike is we could compare and see if it would work. The Flite has a large stand over, so dont give up hope. What is your current bikes? You can compare the geometrys.

Sure looks like your trying to put him on a bike thats too small .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
QUOTE: Perhaps if we knew what your current bike is we could compare and see if it would work. The Flite has a large stand over, so dont give up hope. What is your current bikes? You can compare the geometrys.

Sure looks like your trying to put him on a bike thats too small .
Actually it looks like I was trying to gather information to help him get the correct bike, not the wrong one, or one that fits bad.

What would I have to gain from trying to get someone to buy a bike that doesnt fit right and they might not like? Did you forget I run a Sette Fan site, what I want is happy Sette owners. Not grumpy owners that are mad because I told them to buy the wrong size frame.

I stand by my statement. I never told him to buy the wrong size bike. I did how ever try and figure out the details needed to get him the right size bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
And then there was this one : So the way I look at it, if you can deal with adding a stem that is 10 longer than your current one and having some extra room between your legs you could probably make it work.
Still never told him to buy the wrong size frame. You sir are grabbing at straws :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top