Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I generally hate these type "what bike should I get threads" but there are some on here, locally, whose opinions I trust so I thought I'd solicit a bit of input.

I'm thinking about getting a full on DH bike and am looking at this one in Boulder:

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135497

I like the ride of my Gemini alot so far, but I do not plan on doing any trail riding on it (I've got my Endless for that) and so I'm thinking it may make more sense for me to get the right tool for the job. This bike seems very reasonably priced and has some good review on this site. From what I've gathered, they can be a bit slow in the tight stuff, but @ 192#, I'm not too worried about this. Anyhow - any thoughts? My primary concerns are longevity, stiffness - I hate vague feeling bikes, and suspension characteristics.

Thanks in advance -

Josh

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snowskilz said:
wow thats one heck of a deal. And def a thumbs up for that bike. My mono went through everything and worked great
Cool - I was wondering if you'd have any thoughts on it. Are you still riding yours?

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dream4est said:
ive seen that frame in person and it does have a huge dent and two seasons racing on it. i would ride it first if i were you.
Thanks - the dent didn't look big at all in the pic, but the resolution is really crummy so I kind of wondered.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
ive seen that frame in person and it does have a huge dent and two seasons racing on it. i would ride it first if i were you.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Looks like a killer ride and good price. The people that I know that ride the Mono's (Todd included) have been extremely happy with them, but I don't really have much personal experience with them.

I think you should get it. Hopefully the dent on the rear triangle will slow you down enough that I can still beat you!

The guy sounds desparate to sell and if he doesn't need to ship it, you may be able to get him to come down even more on the price, too.

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.thumper. said:
Looks like a killer ride and good price. The people that I know that ride the Mono's (Todd included) have been extremely happy with them, but I don't really have much personal experience with them.

I think you should get it. Hopefully the dent on the rear triangle will slow you down enough that I can still beat you!

The guy sounds desparate to sell and if he doesn't need to ship it, you may be able to get him to come down even more on the price, too.
Ahhh - I figured if I got a dented frame I could put some sticky carbon fiber stuff on it, thereby adding at least 3 mph to my overall speed. Your kung foo is weak, Grantson. :)

I'm trying to negotiate his dropping it off in Golden, now if he'd just answer my e-mail...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Godzilla said:
Thanks - the dent didn't look big at all in the pic, but the resolution is really crummy so I kind of wondered.
I thought it looked like a considerable dent as well, but I woudn't think it would be terribly weak there. Looked more cosmetic to me, but again, who can tell from such a tiny picture anyway.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Godzilla said:
well it was huge when i saw that frame a LONG time ago- about nov 2003. bike was nice though. its been raced two seasons since then (it was brand new when i saw it the dent had just happened) by two seperate experts i think. but i would ride it to see....those guys ride for the fix so it should be well maintained.

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.thumper. said:
That dent will probably make you ride like this
Do you really think it'll help my riding that much?

Think I'm gonna go organize some rocks in a minute here. That crazy mutt did a number on my wrist yesterday - it' s sprained at least. My new motto: When in doubt, lean back and lift the front end. :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Godzilla said:
Do you really think it'll help my riding that much?

Think I'm gonna go organize some rocks in a minute here. That crazy mutt did a number on my wrist yesterday - it' s sprained at least. My new motto: When in doubt, lean back and lift the front end. :)
Ummm, I was gonna say something... You should be able to hop at least two or three doggies in a single bound on that Gemini.

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
dbabuser said:
I'd stay away from the older dhr's. You hang out w/ Sylent K much, you get an earful of how that bike is holding him back...
:D
Hahaha....The DHR's definitely rail! I have a lot of catching up to do in order to actually use the bike to it's full potential. It's a heck of a lot better than I am!

I've heard comparisons of the Mono's to tanks. "They just plow through the stuff." If that's the way you ride, you just found your soulmate! If not, your 12+ years of bike riding should help you figure out how the bike likes to be treated. :D

·
eci
2,712 Posts
Godzilla said:
Cool - I was wondering if you'd have any thoughts on it. Are you still riding yours?
i just sold mine. my only complaint was it had 2 high of a top tube. I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam which make bike fits tons of fun. The mono had a 32.5 static top tube height on the large frame. the medium was a lil lower. Cant remember the exact. As far as holding up there is no bike out in the market as stiff and as strong as the mono. I had 2 dents in my frame a tons of rear end scrapes and never tightened up the pivot once. The guy i sold it to sent me an email about how much he likes the bike.

Dont put a diabolous crankset on it. It doesnt work well

Def check out the bike. hes selling it super cheap(alot cheaper then i sold mine for) and mine had 2 whopper dents in it

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way - if anyone knows the owner of the Foes - have him get in touch with me. He hasn't answered my attempts to contact him, but he still had the bike yesterday.

The orange Turner is gone - go figure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'll put in my 2 cents. I rode an 03 for a season and a half. SilentK got it pretty much right. The Foes will mow down pretty much anything is sight, whoops, tabletops, logs...., volkswagons. The Curnutt shock is amazing, but has the "dead feel" that many people complain about on 5th's.

Forget about "pop" off a jump. The Foes isn't a frisky bike. It's a weapon. Designed to do one thing and do it well. Keep the wheels on the ground and get you down the mountain FAST. Blast thru rockgardens. It loves big air jumps. You need a jump with a great lip or you better be haulin' a$$ to get it in the air. Once airbourne, she flys straight and true. It corners with the best, with one cavet (next paragraph for explaination).

I loved the bike while I had it, but I seemed to have trouble in tight twisty stuff in the trees. When you are going Mach2 with your hair on fire, it's in its element. But you really have to work it in the slow stuff. If you ride world cup type courses with lots of steep, high speed runs, huge air jumps and sweeping turns, then this is a awesome bike. If want a flickable, fast cornering, fun, jumpable bike, you'll be happier with a DHR. I switched to a DHR after the Foes and instantly got much faster in the trees and rarely crashed. Watching me on a mixed course while riding the Foes was always good for a few laughs. I would fly down steep, nasty stuff that had a pucker factor of 10, like I was riding on pavement and then crash while trying to navigate a tight switchback at 3mph.

As far as the dent goes, it would have to be really bad. The Foes are incrediblly tough. To have one last 5 years racing downhill every season, is common. The swingarm is exceptionally beefy. The fact that the guy has still been running it even though the dent has been there a while, speaks well of the durability. I personally feel that dented bikes can get you some of the best deals. So many people are anal about such things. XC guys are the worst, a tiny dent in the side of the toptube will instantly reduce the value by half. As long as it isn't affecting the weld, cracked or creased badly, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a downhill bike and one of the toughest. It's designed to take some hard knocks.

Seriously consider your riding style and go from there. If the Foes fits the bill, that one looks like an awesome deal. The frame alone on that was originally around $3400.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts