Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added a granny ring to the stock crank set and BB?
Fit fine with no clearance issues?

Thinking about doing some loaded touring rides in the west and would like to have that bail out gearing for the long climbs. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I only ran mine as a SS.

Call or e-mail Derby @ Surly. Those guys have always been more than knowledgeable everytime I have had a question.

PF

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input.

"takomacommuter", what did you end up doing?

I see that Salsa has a 24 tooth, I have not seen a 22 tooth for that size crank set. So if anyone knows....

·
Registered
7 Posts
bought a wider bb and went 26/36/48...later dumped the 48t for a Salsa Crossing Guard and ran it 2x9. Loved this setup, as I rarely used the bigger ring in hilly Tacoma.

A 24t might fit with the stock bb...like I said, it was close...Good luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I added a 26t Salsa small ring to my 2005 CrossCheck complete. I just got a 2.5 mm spacer (it had the effect of putting a 5mm wider BB in).
The spacer shifted the rings out just far enough so the 26t would fit.

Read my posts at bikeforums.net here (I'm hopperja on bikeforums.net)

I've got around 4,000 miles on this setup and it has worked fine since day one. Chainline hasn't been an issue, as I originally thought it might. I'm still using the stock chain.

note: I replaced the FD with an XT FD-M761, as the stock FD doesn't have the range needed to move between all three chain rings (or so I thought; Ben's link above says otherwise).

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
851 Posts
I initially ran an LX trekking crankset with 24/3?/48T. It was the external bearing set and it worked fine. I've since swapped out to a 34/48 CX crankset because I never did the touring I thought I would, so the granny was just an extra part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.