Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just mounted my heim/lrp tensioner as suggested by none other than yerself. id like to bolt it to the iscg mount but ive got some clearence issues with the small ring h/ware that i need to work out if at all possible. the temps are to be in the low 50's tomorrow so if the trails are dry enough to ride ill test it out on the nickle bags first ride. thanx for the help on this one and all the rest. happy krismiss pal.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
cactuscorn said:
just mounted my heim/lrp tensioner as suggested by none other than yerself. id like to bolt it to the iscg mount but ive got some clearence issues with the small ring h/ware that i need to work out if at all possible. the temps are to be in the low 50's tomorrow so if the trails are dry enough to ride ill test it out on the nickle bags first ride. thanx for the help on this one and all the rest. happy krismiss pal.
Pics?
Are you using a spacer between the Heim and the BB shell?
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, kinda. the heim is against the shell and the spacer is between it and the cup. is that bad? my 952's dictate a 2mm spacer on the drive side so i installed the heim with a 1mm spacer and this seems to work fine in the stand. waitin to hear back from the ranger to see if the trails are open so i can give it a real test. enough of this basement crap. 52 for a high today!

heres 2 pics of the new set up. as you can see i totally ripped cheese off. is that respect or a lack of self? well i did add a bit of sharpie to the outside just so he wouldnt be confused with me on the trails of iowa.
 

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I don't think adding a bolt for the iscg tab will improve anything. If you really crank the bb cup down it holds beautifully, and if you tuck the Heim up tight against the chainstay yoke it is totally out of harm's way. If you do land on top of a fence perfectly and manage to touch the guide, it will get pushed up and out of harm's way if it can rotate. Adding a bolt will just ensure it bends instead. I've had them on 2 bikes for a couple of years now and none has ever budged.

On the Pack I am currently using an e-type 118mm es71 bb with my XT cranks. No reason, really, but it did allow me to add a 1mm spacer between the Heim and the bb to give me more room for the granny bolts. I actually never had a prob with the old 113mm bb and no spacer though.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for the tips cheese. ill call it good then. no clearence issues with my granny bolts here, maybe due to the spacer being outboard of the heim but i dont think it would matter if i had it inboard though it would be damn close.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aquaholic said:
Props to you, CactusCoot...... on your exemplary chain maintenance.
what maintenance? all this crap is brand new! well most of it is. got some rock n roll blue on there so you just wait till after the first ride. itll look like it got hit by a porta potty. truth is im pretty nice to my stuff and i do keep it clean and well lubed. too much money invested not to. krytech helps though.
 

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
Joined
·
4,162 Posts
New???!!!

cactuscorn said:
what maintenance? all this crap is brand new! well most of it is. got some rock n roll blue on there so you just wait till after the first ride. itll look like it got hit by a porta potty. truth is im pretty nice to my stuff and i do keep it clean and well lubed. too much money invested not to. krytech helps though.
New? NEW??? WTF?

Your reputation is now forever tarnished. GAAAAAAAAAAAWD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
Show of hands...who else just added a heim/MRP LRP Tensioner

How many other riders just added the Heim/ MRP LRP Tensioner set up in the past week or two since Tscheezy's post?

I did.

(Heck, I even shortened mine)
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
string said:
How many other riders just added the Heim/ MRP LRP Tensioner set up in the past week or two since Tscheezy's post?

I did.

(Heck, I even shortened mine)
yeah but did ya color it all pretty like he and i did? i didnt see a need for the short mod with my big od guard and i dont see a tire clearance issue w/ a 2.5 but i havent tried it yet. cheese speaks, smart folks listen. so what my excuse?
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
cactuscorn said:
yep, kinda. the heim is against the shell and the spacer is between it and the cup. is that bad? my 952's dictate a 2mm spacer on the drive side so i installed the heim with a 1mm spacer and this seems to work fine in the stand. waitin to hear back from the ranger to see if the trails are open so i can give it a real test. enough of this basement crap. 52 for a high today!

heres 2 pics of the new set up. as you can see i totally ripped cheese off. is that respect or a lack of self? well i did add a bit of sharpie to the outside just so he wouldnt be confused with me on the trails of iowa.
Sorry for the delayed response CC - I was out eating wings and drinking beer!

Pre integrated BB I had no issuse with the Heim and XT cranks and a std BB setup. With the RaceFace integrated it gave me all kinds of fits. The FSA Mega Exo is back to normal with one 2mm drive side spacer and no rubbing or drivetrain alignment issues.

I am still using my Heim I purchased back in 2002 for my Bullit! I want one of those orange MRP rollers - got the part # so I can visit the LBS?
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Universal Cycles sells the rollers with bearings for about $12 iirc. That's cheap for the combo, about half the price of the e13 soft roller and bearings. It will last about 4 times longer too.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top