Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of picking up one of these. I'm coming from a Titus Switchblade which I love. But I want a coil and the larger chainstays to be able to run wider tires. I'm sold on the FSR rear ends too.

How much does a sm 5 Spot weigh? Is it a true 5.3 (?) inch travel frame? What coils seem to run best on these? Any problems, clearances, maintenance, etc?

I had an RFX before. Great frame but a bit of a beast for all-day climbing for me.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
sounds to me like you want a pack with 5" rockers to get the dhx coil and wide stays but a spot will take a 2.4 without issue, plenty big for a 5" bike id think. too bad yer pretty much hosed on the fsr rear unless yer very lucky or buy used. its all about "that inefficiant tnt junk" now forward. do a search and bring yer barf bag due to the super lame content found within. do yerself a favor and avoid all that sillyness and just get a new '06 spot or pack, now renamed the rfx.

a med spot is 6.3 lbs and a med pack is 8.8, about the same as yer older rfx. ya cant have it all i guess. sorry pal. and yeah, shes a real 5.3" bike. the only problem i know of is lovin it too much.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
i have a spot with romic and Z1. a friend of mine has a sb with talas and talas. both are really nice bikes. his feels more xc-ish than mine but thats probably due to the forks a2c.

i guess what im saying is is that both are great bikes, but pretty close. so if youre looking to vary your exprience go for something with a little more contrast like six pack, or five pack like cc suggested.

on the other hand if you just wanna freshen up your ride, without blowing too much cash, get a taller fork and wider chainstays (i believe titus offers them).

·
carpe mañana
7,290 Posts
If you're not a heavyweight, DHXair works on a Pack and will save you a pound of weight. Going coil on the Spot makes it about a pound heavier. Cane Creek Double Barrel is smelling like the hot new shock for the rear, I am eagerly awaiting further reviews in anticipation of picking one up and pitting it on my new Pack.

And yes, the new rockers give the Spot 5.3". It previously had 5.1".

_MK

·
Daniel the Dog
6,761 Posts
I'm confused. Help me out....

MK_ said:
If you're not a heavyweight, DHXair works on a Pack and will save you a pound of weight. Going coil on the Spot makes it about a pound heavier. Cane Creek Double Barrel is smelling like the hot new shock for the rear, I am eagerly awaiting further reviews in anticipation of picking one up and pitting it on my new Pack.

And yes, the new rockers give the Spot 5.3". It previously had 5.1".

_MK
Why would I buy some rockers and a new shock to gain such a small amount of travel? It is befuddling to me. Sounds like a great way to chuck some serious cash.

Jaybo

·
carpe mañana
7,290 Posts
Jaybo said:
Why would I buy some rockers and a new shock to gain such a small amount of travel? It is befuddling to me. Sounds like a great way to chuck some serious cash.

Jaybo
Well, Turner wouldn't sell you the rockers, anyway. The 5.3" rockers are due to the RP3 not getting full stroke under standard rockers, so DT made them longer to compensate. Now, PUSH will be releasing another upgrade, 5.5in rockers which will utilize a longer stroke shock for lower leverage ratio.

_MK

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Here is a WTB Timberwolf 2.5 tire on a Spot. The tire measures 2.6" on a 21mm wide rim at 36psi using a vernier caliper. The yoke measures 3.0" wide, so you have about 0.2" on either side of the outer knobs for clearance. The pic is taken slightly to the side of the tire (the right) to better show the clearance on that side. The clearance on the other side (left) is the same (the wheel is centered).

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Hey Myitch,

I've read your other posts as I've been shopping myself. I also owned a titus switchbalde for a while, which i ran in both 4.5 and 5.7 travel modes. I sold that to get my current turner RFX which I love. Also, I just put money down on a titus motolite which will be my XC bike. I really enjoy free-ride stuff and want to keep the RFX at 38lbs with a 7+7" build, so the motolite will be a dedicated XC bike. Prior to this I've been running the RFX with 5" rockers in teh winter for XC riding, and 6" rockers with a longer stroke shock for summer BC riding. So, I've got some time on the bikes you have owned and are considering. A few thoughts:

-Turner rocks for tire clearance, nobody else comes close. 2.5's easy.
-I've ridden a 5-spot and my RFX with 5" rockers back to back, and they felt almost identical except for the weight.
-I don't miss the switchblade, and neither will you once you move on. One thing about the switchblade is the rate & leverage are really not right. Also the geometry in 5.7"mode is a mess. The spot/RFX might have less travel than the switchblade on paper (presuming 5.7" rockers), but the quality of usable travel is way way better. It's easier to tune the shock right and get full travel. On my switchbade, it either wallowed & bobbed or I never got more than 5". Also, the BB was way to high in 5.7" mode. putting anything over a 130mm Z1 on the front made it too slack.
-My 2002 medium RFX frame is 9.5lbs with a vanilla RC.
-I'm trying a DHX air right now and it feels really good, comparabel to my pushed vanilla RC.
-We ride with a guy who owns a 2-year old 5-spot. He's taken it to the northshore several times, spent a total of 2 weeks in whistler's bike park with it, on top of all the local XC. he even did the big GLC drop on whistler with it, thats like a 5-6' drop easy. He's about 5'11 and 160lbs I think? Point being, unless you are larger or really going big, the spot can handle a lot of abuse, especially if you take some load of teh frame with big tires the right fork.

basically, I think the spot is nicely in between your current switchblade and your old RFX, that is to say it has %85 of the RFX performance at the switchblade weight. Plus, you can drop the saddle all the way (unlike the SB) and run 2.5's. Thats why turner rocks.

myitch said:
I'm thinking of picking up one of these. I'm coming from a Titus Switchblade which I love. But I want a coil and the larger chainstays to be able to run wider tires. I'm sold on the FSR rear ends too.

How much does a sm 5 Spot weigh? Is it a true 5.3 (?) inch travel frame? What coils seem to run best on these? Any problems, clearances, maintenance, etc?

I had an RFX before. Great frame but a bit of a beast for all-day climbing for me.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
MK_ said:
Cane Creek Double Barrel is smelling like the hot new shock for the rear, I am eagerly awaiting further reviews in anticipation of picking one up and pitting it on my new Pack.

_MK
MK, you're finally going to take the plunge and get a pack, huh? Cool. Start buying some body armor too; Keystone will be your destination come summer!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FM and the others:

Cool, thanks for the advice and words of experience. Yeah, now it sounds like the 5-Spot might be the one to tickle the G-spot. Turners are well made too, no doubt. But whats this about this new rear suspension design? They're no longer FSRs? What is it exactly and how does it ride compared to the true FSR linkage?

Now, if only I can get my hands on a used 5-Spot in a small...

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
tscheezy said:
Here is a WTB Timberwolf 2.5 tire on a Spot. The tire measures 2.6" on a 21mm wide rim at 36psi using a vernier caliper. The yoke measures 3.0" wide, so you have about 0.2" on either side of the outer knobs for clearance. The pic is taken slightly to the side of the tire (the right) to better show the clearance on that side. The clearance on the other side (left) is the same (the wheel is centered).

2.5 on a 21mm rim? Is that just for clearance pictures sake? Does it fold on hard landings or corners? Seams kinda big for the rim?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
m-dub said:
2.5 on a 21mm rim? Is that just for clearance pictures sake? Does it fold on hard landings or corners? Seams kinda big for the rim?
take it for what it's worth but.....

last summer I ran a specialized 2.5 big hit pro on the front of my XC bike with a mavix x317. No problems with rolling or burping, allthough I did tear a lot of valve stems off due to that particular tires loose fit.

On the front of my RFX, I ran a michellin 2.5 comp 16 DH tire on a mavic X3.1, tubeless. Absolutely no problems with this set up, and I rode the northshore on it 6-8 times as well as a few weekends in whistler, no flats or burps ever (thats michelin DH tires for ya!)

I really think the whole "big tires don't work on narrow rims" thing is a myth. Big light tires with thin sidewalls may not work well at lower pressures on narrow rims. I ran about 28-30psi on my michelins and they worked great. Also, food for though, for many years roadies preferred narrower rims regardless of tire size as they encourage a rounder tire profile. Another case of, it just depends on who you ask.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After hearing about reviews/comments from you boys and doing some research, it sounds like the 5 Spot is the way for me to go. The small is about 3/4 inch shorter TT length compared to my small SB, which is actually a tad large for me (I've gotta have the seat forward). The leverage on the shock is lower=more active shock.

But WOW, the price on these new is outrageous! $1895 MSRP. All the rage is the Nomad and 6.6. This 5 Spot is nearly the same price as those with less travel. Of course, those are VPP bikes, which I don't want. And since the older FSR rear is still preferred over the TNT, the '05s are still selling at $1895 from online retailers even with just the RP3 vs. the stock DHX Air for '06. No closeout pricing.

Hmm, now I'm back to thinking about the SB because I can get a new one for much less by about $600-700. Thats a chunk of change!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Just put the feelers out, you'll find a deal. Personally I think Turners prices are allright considering they are made in the US and seem to have better QC than intense or certainly SC. Anyways, you know somebody will be happy to sell you a spot that has a season on it so they can get one of the new ano'd ones.

I would NOT suggest buying another switchblade. I liked mine, but one ride on the nort shore and I saw that bikes limitations- the weird geometry in LT mode, the interrupted seat tube (you lose pretty much all seat height adjustment with the long travel linkage) and the tuning headaches caused by the weird shock leverage & rising rate. You might consider the '06 motolite which can be gotten for $1100, however it's definatly more XC-oriented than the 'spot- less clearance and steeper angles. A big improvement over the SB due to the full length seat tube and way lower leverage ratio (2.5:1, same as the 5-spot)

myitch said:
After hearing about reviews/comments from you boys and doing some research, it sounds like the 5 Spot is the way for me to go. The small is about 3/4 inch shorter TT length compared to my small SB, which is actually a tad large for me (I've gotta have the seat forward). The leverage on the shock is lower=more active shock.

But WOW, the price on these new is outrageous! $1895 MSRP. All the rage is the Nomad and 6.6. This 5 Spot is nearly the same price as those with less travel. Of course, those are VPP bikes, which I don't want. And since the older FSR rear is still preferred over the TNT, the '05s are still selling at $1895 from online retailers even with just the RP3 vs. the stock DHX Air for '06. No closeout pricing.

Hmm, now I'm back to thinking about the SB because I can get a new one for much less by about $600-700. Thats a chunk of change!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
myitch said:
But WOW, the price on these new is outrageous! $1895 MSRP. All the rage is the Nomad and 6.6. This 5 Spot is nearly the same price as those with less travel.
Ask Aqua how much his Jones cost - and it gets 0" travel. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FM,

Yeah, very true about the high leverage rate. The rear on the SB is not very supple on high-speed stutters, but I'm not sure if its the Float R limitations and something a coil shock would remedy. The other selling point for the 5 Spot is the regular seat tube vs. interrupted tube. I forgot about that one. I've had my SB for over 3 years now and I'm so used to it that I've adapted to any limitations it may have. I also haven't ridden the newer frame designs with the latest technology in shocks either.

I guess part of me is afraid to try out these new bikes..cuz then I'll want to buy all of them!!! As for used, I'm seeing some of the '05s going for $1100-$1300. Thats not bad. As usual, not many size smalls out there for the shorter dudes like me at 5' 6.5".

OK, back to the 5 Spot for my search.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pricing

Myitch - Don't sweat MSRP prices. I've seen the margin on Turner frames. Trust me, there's room to negotiate. Especially if someone's sitting on an '05 frame (with Horst link).

No-one will advertise prices below MSRP in most cases. You'll need to pick up the phone.

I'm loving my Spot.

C

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my excitement and UGI, I actually already did call two online dealers and a local bikeshop (no names mentioned). They all were not willing to budge lower on prices. They all said the '05s are being grabbed because those buyers wanted the FSR/HL and were willing to pay the $1895 with the RP3 even over the DHX Air for '06 for the same $1895.

At $1895+shipping, thats too much for my wallet right now. I'll just keep looking for a deal on a used one. It should pop up sooner or later. The best I saw was $1100 for an '05 here on mtbr. Nice price. Only thing it was a large. I need a small.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts