Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help to adjust my settings? The video looks "blurry" and not sharp when I watch the original video on my desktop PC 4K monitor with Media Player Classic.

https://youtu.be/ZwOvAH5hxLA

Video Still: https://ibb.co/yFySrVk

The video was shot while:
activity - biking
lighting - overcast skies
mount - wrist mount

Here are the settings I used:

GoPro 9
Res: 4K24fps
Lens: Linear
Hypersmooth: BOOST
Bit Rate: High
Shtter: Auto
White Balance: Auto
EV Comp: -0.5
ISO: 100 - 1600
Sharpness: Low
Color: GoPro

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Is it blurry when you watch the original footage on a laptop? Or is it the YouTube compression that makes it blurry?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Are you sharpening in post? I've never used a wrist mount, unless there is so much vibration that the stabilisation can't keep up? It would still be odd though.
Maybe just try a test video. Hold it still and film something?
Perhaps leave the shutter at 48 rather than auto?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sharpening in post? I've never used a wrist mount, unless there is so much vibration that the stabilisation can't keep up? It would still be odd though.
Maybe just try a test video. Hold it still and film something?
Perhaps leave the shutter at 48 rather than auto?
The video is the "raw" unprocessed mp4 uploaded directly to youtube.

I've had better luck in better lighting conditions, such as sunny skies. I'm just curious how I can adjust my settings in overcast conditions so its not this "blurry".

I can try shutter at 48 and see how it goes.

Also, how does the below settings look for overcast/darker scenarios?

Lens: Linear + HL
Hypersmooth: On (NOT BOOST)
Shtter: 1/96
EV Comp: N/A
ISO: 100 - 400

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Make one change at a time. Based on your original settings, I would try changing sharpness from low to medium or maybe high. The blurriness doesn't look like the blurriness from Hypersmooth Boost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make one change at a time. Based on your original settings, I would try changing sharpness from low to medium or maybe high. The blurriness doesn't look like the blurriness from Hypersmooth Boost.
thanks! will try upping sharpness to medium/high and see how it goes

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The video is the "raw" unprocessed mp4 uploaded directly to youtube.

I've had better luck in better lighting conditions, such as sunny skies. I'm just curious how I can adjust my settings in overcast conditions so its not this "blurry".

I can try shutter at 48 and see how it goes.

Also, how does the below settings look for overcast/darker scenarios?

Lens: Linear + HL
Hypersmooth: On (NOT BOOST)
Shtter: 1/96
EV Comp: N/A
ISO: 100 - 400
As above, try one thing at a time. The problem with increasing the shutter in lower light is you are allowing less light in.

I have numerous GoPros and they've all had the same problem, the picture gets worse in low light (IE riding under tree cover). In bright light, they're generally brilliant. I've only got a few videos from riding in overcast conditions, and it's really easy to over expose as the sky is too bright. So I can't help there. Most of my riding is under tree cover.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the wrist mount is not helping, Even if theres a smooth road theres so many tiny super quick movements and that must be messing with the stabilisation.
On my GP7 I get similar loss of quality/sharpness when theres fast prolonged trailchatter rather than bigger chunkier hits.

Try a chest or helmet mount and see if it improves?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts