Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, two of us will be in durango area wed 4th to sunday. we will be staying at the durango mountain resort near purgatory. do you guys know anybody locally that provides shuttle support for hermosa? we have one car and will park it at either north or south trailhead but need a way to get to or back. thanks

·
ICORR - FORC
269 Posts
Two of us are in Durango until Saturday, plan to ride Hermosa on Thursday or Friday. I have looked around for shuttles and have found a couple that might be available - Mtn bike Adventures (at Durango Mtn resort, not sure of the cost) and SouthWest Adventure Guides ($30 each person).

We'd be willing to work a two-car shuttle out with you. I can only handle 3 bikes on my car, but could leave one person back at Hermosa while three of us head back to Purgatory. Can you manage 4 bikes? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll be in Durango on 7/14 and would love ride Hermosa. I need to do the ride in the early am, before the wife and kids wake up, but I can carry 4 bikes and would love to ride with someone else or set up a shuttle. Looking for a 2- 3 hour ride.
Andrew R

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys, just back from durango after 4 great days of riding. did hermosa, dry fork (twice because the downhill on hoffheins is way fun) and phil's world in cortez. awesome riding. trails were in great conditions and we even caught a break with the temp only getting to low 90s for phil's world. took us about 5 hours to do hermosa and we had the trail all to ourselves and only saw one guy walking his dog on the entire trail. amazing vistas and great singletrack. we parked at the top of purgatory mountain where hermosa creek road crosses elbert creek road and caught a shuttle back up from the hermosa mkt rigth off 550(this adds nice five miles of riding to the north trail head and about 4 miles from the south trailhead down to 550 but all downhill and cuts on the cost of the shuttle). thanks much to dave for taking us around the 15 miles maze that is phil's world. riding up and down three diff mesas and whopping down the rib cage was great fun and watching a bald eagle glide in the sky made it even better. one word of advice would be to start very early since the durango area has been hit by serious thunderstorms for the last couple of days in early afternoon.
happy riding
c

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
I was up riding HC this past Sat (last part of my 3 week trip around CO - out from Los Angeles). We did it as an up-and-back, riding up 10 miles or so, and then turning around. I second the thunder showers in Durango the past few days. We were starting early on all of our rides, mainly because of the warm temps, good thing, by 1pm or so, pretty good showers in the area.

Had a blast the past 3 weeks. Fruita, Crested Butte, Telluride, and Durango. 2450 miles driven all in all, meeting many good people (Jessie from Brodie in CB!), drinking good beer, and riding great trails. Man I love CO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts