Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me introduce myself: my name is Ben and I live in Minneapolis. I've always been into bikes and old stuff in general. I bought my '87 Bridgestone MB2 in '88 as a leftover and paid $420 for it. Since then I've gone through a long period of playing with cars and motorcycles as a hobby. Now cars are my livelihood, and the last thing I want to do when I get home is work on a car. Hence, bicycles have become my passionate hobby again. My current stable includes the aforementioned '87 MB2, a Breezer Storm from the late 90's with full XTR, a Cannondale V900 single speed project and two vintage roadbikes: a '75 Coppi Campionissimo and an '80 Peugeot hand-brazed race bike.

Enough background; the reason I'm addressing you all is that I've decided to restore the MB2 to it's former glory and beyond. I started out wanting to put it back to factory specs, and then I remembered that I changed things on it because they either never worked right or never fit right. So, my current quest involves making my MB2 into the bike I could have back in '88 if I had the type of financial resources I have now. I'm not rich, but I have more discretionary income than the 14 year-old I was in '88 who had to scrimp and save every penny to even buy the bike .

So here it is: Help me pick out and find the parts and components for this project! I want to do Suntour and I want to keep the original frame and fork. Everything else is pretty much up for grabs. I have an xc9000 rear deraillieur, a Selle Italia Mundialita suede seat and not much else. Let the suggestions begin!

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,453 Posts
Good luck with the project, and welcome to VRC!

& MTBR, in general. Your post, to me, is the essence of the VRC interest, and speaks volumes. You have good taste in where to begin, and the fact that a lot of these bikes were workingman's (as in, available) will help you find stuff much more easily. Have fun!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
joeadnan said:
sheldonbrown.com has the Bridgestone catalogues going back to the 80s. That should give you specific details on what componentry originally lived on your frame.
Thanks for the info. I've got the 87 MB2 catalog page printed and taped to my workbench for inspiration. It's been a long time since the bile looked like that. I want to paint it the original green frame/yellow fork combo, but I want to upgrade the drivetrain/wheels/etc. from factory specs. That's where I need some help. I don't remember what the hot products from back in the day were. I'd like some opinions/assistance on how I should build the bike back up with a mix of Suntour and aftermarket parts. The two big things I don't have are wheels (I have the original front wheel, but the rear is long gone) and frame decals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.