Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever I start a bike project one of the first things I have to decide is which hubset makes the most sense from a durability, weight, and performance standpoint.

For this latest project, there isn't a hubset made that really does what I need it to do.

So I thinkered a little, talked to some really smart people, thinkered some more, talked some more, then collectively we came up with a plan of action.

Here's where it starts:


On the left is one of my all-time favorite front hubs--the DT FR (440) in 36h, set for a 20mm TA.

On the right is the result of the latest round of thinkering. Can you spot the differences between the two hubs straight away?

Here's another view, which might give some better clues as to the direction this project is heading:


Any guesses as to where this could possibly be leading? :eek: :D

MC
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
36 hole x 25mm TA x 120mm wide tandem hub? Dishless front? Of course PW doesn't list the flange spacing on those hubs.
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
njbiker66 said:
ah you looked it up first, before guessing.
I guessed, confirmed, then posted. It looks like a wider hub, wasn't sure they made one. The fisheye shot is sort of deceiving. And since mc hasn't replied yet, I could be wrong.

That's the only hub that doesn't have the flange spacing listed. :confused:

And I've never heard of a 25 mm TA fork, besides the Mavericks (24 mm). But that's a different bird of a feather.
 

·
Schipperkes are cool.
Joined
·
4,165 Posts
Psssssht, Unicycles don't need disk brakes.
 

·
The Dog.
Joined
·
959 Posts
mikesee said:
Any guesses as to where this could possibly be leading? :eek: :D

MC
Its obvious...Flintstones-style push DH 29er.

Or tomicogs in the front and rear!!!!

No,but seriously...I'm assuming that there's a drive side to that phil hub that I just can't see.
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,358 Posts
I don't know where you're headed but I know it'll be innovative, fresh and drool worthy!
 

·
Self-defeatist
Joined
·
965 Posts
My guess is that you carefully combed through all of DC's threads, collected all the "innovative" thinking into a spreadsheet, and you're gonna build the biggest, baddest 29er ever seen to his specs and unleash it on an unsuspecting world.

150mm hubs front and rear, 8+ inches of travel, motorcycle brakes, etc, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,136 Posts
FR Fixie?

Looks to me like the Phil hub is 120 or 135 spaced instead of 100. I'm guessing you will be putting it on the back with a disc fixed cog. Can you say Freeride fixie?

Mark
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some innovative guesses, and some that are surprisingly close to the mark.

The 'guesses' that included fixed, truss, or rigid components get no cookie.

The PW front hub is 120 spaced, 20mm TA. I laced and tensioned it last night (spoke lengths were all 286) and should have the rear wheel built later. Will post pics and specs of that, then...

Pay close attention to the rotor mount flanges on each of the hubs in the pic above. Something's very different (and non-standard) about the way it was done on the PW hub. What, and why?

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,136 Posts
mikesee said:
Some innovative guesses, and some that are surprisingly close to the mark.

The 'guesses' that included fixed, truss, or rigid components get no cookie.

The PW front hub is 120 spaced, 20mm TA. I laced and tensioned it last night (spoke lengths were all 286) and should have the rear wheel built later. Will post pics and specs of that, then...

Pay close attention to the rotor mount flanges on each of the hubs in the pic above. Something's very different (and non-standard) about the way it was done on the PW hub. What, and why?

MC
Looks to me like the distance from the spoke flange to the rotor mount surface is shorter on the Phil hub, which obviosly results in a dishless wheel. Unfortunately, I have no idea why! I would think on a normal setup that would result in the caliper interferring with the spokes.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
bikeny said:
Looks to me like the distance from the spoke flange to the rotor mount surface is shorter on the Phil hub, which obviosly results in a dishless wheel. Unfortunately, I have no idea why! I would think on a normal setup that would result in the caliper interferring with the spokes.

Mark
203mm rotors might not have that problem, not sure though. Or he's going to run 220mm rotors! No matter what it is, I'm interested in seeing the final product for sure.
 

·
Stayin' Puft
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Wow, looking at one of my fronts, 180 rotor with a standard ISO-disc and a magura marta brake I only have like 3mm clearance between caliper and spokes as it is. I would think the wider flange spacing would help increase the angle of the spokes some, but is it enough? Maybe if you run all the spokes heads-out for that flange? :D Clearly got something up your sleeve.
 

·
A Surly Maverick
Joined
·
2,702 Posts
Pay close attention to the rotor mount flanges on each of the hubs in the pic above. Something's very different (and non-standard) about the way it was done on the PW hub. What, and why?

MC[/QUOTE]

120mm wide PW hub with narrower rotor mount flange would allow a dishless wheel that could be run on a White Brothers Groove DH fork as they have a 20mm TA 120mm wide spacing. This what BCD did on his race fork with a custom made hub a while ago.

Something goin` DOWN here methinks ! :D
 
1 - 20 of 148 Posts
Top