Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new bike. Currently riding a Kona Unit. Thought I wanted a Vassago Verhauen. Then I rode a friends Kona Raijin and loved it (handling and the lightness of the Ti). I have never ridden a Vassago Verhauen or Optimus (same geometry) and there is no where in my area to try one out. Can anyone speak to the difference in handling characteristics between a Raijin or the Optimus Ti?

·
No Clue Crew
7,214 Posts
Can't really help specifically. I was about to buy a Verhauen. I've owned a Vassago previously and the company is local to me in Arizona.

But I got a fantastic deal on a Raijin and didn't look back. Great bike.

Though I'm sure the Vassago would be just as good. Tough call. I'd probably go with the cheaper/easier to get one.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,449 Posts
I've got friends that have both of these bikes, they all love them the Raijin and the Optimus Ti.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, I'd personally go for the best priced one.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I recently came across a 2013 Optimus Ti for a deal I couldnt pass up. I swapped out the frame from my scandal build and hit the trails.

This is my second Optimus ti. I had a Lynskey built 2010 frame abd I really could never get into the wet cat long and low geo. it just felt like driving a school bus. I also couldnt stand the previous owner and how he did business. I feel he got what he deserved and now that he is gone I didnt mind trying the new Fast Cat Optimus Ti.

I really like the way the bike rides. Its much better than th older version. Once I decided that I was going to keep it I rebuilt it with mostly new parts and its now simply amazing. The bike comes in under 20 pounds as a hardtail singlespeed with a Marvel 100mm tapered thru axle fork (52mm offset) it just feels sweet.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I recently came across a 2013 Optimus Ti for a deal I couldnt pass up. I swapped out the frame from my scandal build and hit the trails.

This is my second Optimus ti. I had a Lynskey built 2010 frame abd I really could never get into the wet cat long and low geo. it just felt like driving a school bus. I also couldnt stand the previous owner and how he did business. I feel he got what he deserved and now that he is gone I didnt mind trying the new Fast Cat Optimus Ti.

I really like the way the bike rides. Its much better than th older version. Once I decided that I was going to keep it I rebuilt it with mostly new parts and its now simply amazing. The bike comes in under 20 pounds as a hardtail singlespeed with a Marvel 100mm tapered thru axle fork (52mm offset) it just feels sweet.
Never got along with the wet cat, either. (still being used on the Jabberwocky and Bandersnatch, I believe). Good to hear the new geo is working better.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I had a raijin and to be honest i was not a huge fan. I had the 20 and it weighed 4.5 pounds and it was not nearly as compliant as other ti frames I have ridden. I did like the geometry though.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Welcome to the world of lynskey ti frames... The KOna frame is not unlike the pro29 except for the twisty tubes... They are not light... My medium pro29 is 4lbs 5oz. It's stuff too... Great for laying down the power! But not for sucking up the bumps...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts