Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I posted this in the 29er forum but I haven't seen many Stumpy Compy 29ers in this section so I thought I would share in here as well.

This is my second Stumpjumper 29er Comp, I had a 2008 and loved it, but the changes to the 2010 make it even better.

Stock:







Upgrades: 2010 Reba Team 20mm
Stan's 355 laced to Hope Pro IIs (built by me :thumbsup: )
Avid Elixir CRs
E.13 33T Chainring in Red
E.13 XCX guide
S-Works Cages
Spesh Speedzone Computer (from 08 SJer)











23.8 lbs with No Carbon at all.

More Upgrades to come...
 

·
The Other Dude
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Looks very nice! But arent your bottle cages and lever blades carbon?

When did you get yours? One of the kids in the MTB club i run ordered on in November and is still waiting for it. For the money, there are very few 29ers on par with this comp in my opinion, its a great bike, and they were able to make the alloy frame ride just a smooth as other companies carbon frames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jut8 said:
Looks very nice! But arent your bottle cages and lever blades carbon?

When did you get yours? One of the kids in the MTB club i run ordered on in November and is still waiting for it. For the money, there are very few 29ers on par with this comp in my opinion, its a great bike, and they were able to make the alloy frame ride just a smooth as other companies carbon frames.
Yea the bottle cages and levers are carbon :D I guess I meant there are no big carbon parts...

I got mine at the end of August. I work at a specialized dealer and was able to pick this guy up the first day they were available. They were sold out the next day.
 

·
The Other Dude
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
Yeah i know, i snagged my comp the first day they came out too and havent seen them in stock. What do you think of your team front fork with the 20mm axle? Was it a big difference? I was considering going that route on my carbon 29er if i can find one with a tapered steerer as i think I really like the reba front forks, and i think they are lighter than the F29 that came on my expert carbon 29er.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jut8 said:
Yeah i know, i snagged my comp the first day they came out too and havent seen them in stock. What do you think of your team front fork with the 20mm axle? Was it a big difference? I was considering going that route on my carbon 29er if i can find one with a tapered steerer as i think I really like the reba front forks, and i think they are lighter than the F29 that came on my expert carbon 29er.
the 20mm is a huge help. For 3-4 years I only rode DH, Slalom and freeride so I haven't owned a fork without 20mm in years so It was just natural to throw a 20mm on there. With the 1x9 and the 20mm fork I like to think of the bike as my 29er slalom bike;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Fork

matmattmatthew said:
Yes, I posted this in the 29er forum but I haven't seen many Stumpy Compy 29ers in this section so I thought I would share in here as well.

This is my second Stumpjumper 29er Comp, I had a 2008 and loved it, but the changes to the 2010 make it even better.

Stock:







Upgrades: 2010 Reba Team 20mm
Stan's 355 laced to Hope Pro IIs (built by me :thumbsup: )
Avid Elixir CRs
E.13 33T Chainring in Red
E.13 XCX guide
S-Works Cages
Spesh Speedzone Computer (from 08 SJer)











23.8 lbs with No Carbon at all.

More Upgrades to come...
Did u have to use a headset reducer for ur new fork or is it not tapered?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
I posted in the other thread to. Haha, but I have a 03 Cannondale Jekyll and I'm thinking about a SJ Comp 29er or Rockhopper SS 29er for my next bike. What do you think would be better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PSpuza said:
I posted in the other thread to. Haha, but I have a 03 Cannondale Jekyll and I'm thinking about a SJ Comp 29er or Rockhopper SS 29er for my next bike. What do you think would be better?
If you can afford the SJer go for it, they are one of the best spec'd 29ers for the price.
 

·
livin' the dream......
Joined
·
1,956 Posts
Here is a pic of mine a few weeks after I got it, just before my first race on it. Only upgrades so far is a Kore carbon seatpost and some Sefras grips. Bike is 100% stock in the pic.
 

Attachments

·
MTBR Member
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Hard to find threads in here on the Stumpjumper 29 hardtails.

I just picked up a used 08 Stumpjumper(stoked) Comp 29 HT - patiently awaiting it to arrive. Got some questions for anyone that wants to answer them, if you'll indulge me.

Besides the travel increase to 90mm, what were the changes between the old model(08-09) and the redesign for 2010? Anyone running theirs at 100 mm of travel? What about a G2 offset fork?

I'm going to try mine out with my 100mm Reba Team 29 first and see how that goes. Can't wait to get the bike - not even bothered that it says "specialized" down the downtube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ncfisherman said:
Hard to find threads in here on the Stumpjumper 29 hardtails.

I just picked up a used 08 Stumpjumper(stoked) Comp 29 HT - patiently awaiting it to arrive. Got some questions for anyone that wants to answer them, if you'll indulge me.

Besides the travel increase to 90mm, what were the changes between the old model(08-09) and the redesign for 2010? Anyone running theirs at 100 mm of travel? What about a G2 offset fork?

I'm going to try mine out with my 100mm Reba Team 29 first and see how that goes. Can't wait to get the bike - not even bothered that it says "specialized" down the downtube.
I had an 08 29er Comp HT and the differences I've noticed are:

the 10 is a dedicated geared frame, meaning it doesn't have the interchangable sliding drop outs to run it single speed. Too many people, including myself had waaaaaay too much trouble with brake squeal and vibration coming from the drop outs.

The 10 is made from their M5 aluminum and the 08 was M4. This yields both a stiffer/stronger frame while also being lighter.

The Geometry of the 10 is also designed around a 46mm offset fork much like the G2 forks that first came on GFers. The reba that came on the 08/09 was before Sram was making offset 29er forks.

I weighed both of my bikes right out of the box and the 10 was about 1.75 lbs lighter.

I ride mine with my reba team at 100mm. I rode it for one ride at 120mm and it was awful for climbing so I dropped it down to 100 and it's been awesome ever since.
 

·
MTBR Member
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Hey Matt -

Thanks for the input. I didn't do much research before buying(except fit wise), so I didn't pick up on the brake issue. Hope that is not a problem for me. It appears(spec site) that the 2008 was actually made from the same M5 aluminum.

Looks like they pretty much ended up with the same angles, but of course the geometry is based on a different fork. Hopefully that won't be much of a change. I'll try my Reba Team out, but I might end up grabbing a Fox G2 - the guy that owned it was running a G2 and said he really liked it. I'll be stuck with fox b/c I am definitely going thru-axle and that will be my only choice on the King QR hub.

Mine should come in pretty light - rigid & XTR'd out. Gonna try it rigid for a while, just trying to get some info ahead of time.

Good stuff...thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldn't remember if it was M4 or M5, not that I would ever be able to tell the difference if it didn't say it on the frame.

As far as the braking issue there are about 3846983293 threads in the Spesh section about the issue. There are a few helpful suggestions from other owners to quell the vibration/squealing problem. Mine didn't start doing it until after I hit about 400 miles on the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
matmattmatthew, you mentioned in your original post that the changes they made to the 2010 version make it even better than the '08-'09. I can see that it's a new frame, but what specific changes do you think make it better? I'm really thinking about buying this bike, so I'd be curious to hear any detail you, or anyone else, have to offer.

Beautiful bike, by the way.
 

·
MTBR Member
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Johnny K. said:
matmattmatthew, you mentioned in your original post that the changes they made to the 2010 version make it even better than the '08-'09. I can see that it's a new frame, but what specific changes do you think make it better? I'm really thinking about buying this bike, so I'd be curious to hear any detail you, or anyone else, have to offer.

Beautiful bike, by the way.
If it's even better than the 08-09's, then you gotta jump on it. I got my first ride in on the 08SJ comp 29er I picked up and it's a nice handling 29er hardtail. Stiff frame - pretty harsh since it is rigid right now.

MMM - No vibration/squealing issues on the first ride out. I did notice that this frame has been faced on the inside of the seatstay/chainstay junction(both sides) where the sliding dropouts attach to the frame. Were the frames faced at the factory? I'm guessing this was done to fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Johnny K. said:
matmattmatthew, you mentioned in your original post that the changes they made to the 2010 version make it even better than the '08-'09. I can see that it's a new frame, but what specific changes do you think make it better? I'm really thinking about buying this bike, so I'd be curious to hear any detail you, or anyone else, have to offer.

Beautiful bike, by the way.
Aside from them getting rid of the sliding dropouts the parts spec is a bit nicer. The 2010 came with 660mm bars, the cassette is 11-36, the offset reba is a great change, they upgraded the saddle to the Phenom which is my favorite saddle of all time, I much prefer the Elixirs to the Juicies, and the 2010 x.7 triggers are much nicer than the 08/09 X.7s. I'm sure I'm forgetting something else...

I actually might be selling mine, I got a new job and I'm moving into the city and I will most likely only have room for one bike so I'll probably be selling this one.. :cryin:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top