Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not seen this happen before. Just over 3,000kms in, 11 speed chain that came with the SLX groupset. Just one single roller out of the whole chain. Popped out the offending inner link, installed a new one with joiner pins, all good. And incidentally, 10 speed joiner pins seem to work just fine on 11 speed chains. Was short of an 11 speed pin, busted out the micrometer & verniers, measured up a 10 speed pin, couldn't measure any difference, so in it went. Done 22 kms on it with 630 meters of elevation, all good.

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Anything made of hardened steel/highly stressed can have similar failures. I have personally seen numerous cracked rollers (as you have), sideplates (radiating from the pins), and bushings (from older chains when the bushing was a separate piece pressed into the sideplates).

3k km is a pretty good run for no failures, imo.

· Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything made of hardened steel/highly stressed can have similar failures. I have personally seen numerous cracked rollers (as you have), sideplates (radiating from the pins), and bushings (from older chains when the bushing was a separate piece pressed into the sideplates).

3k km is a pretty good run for no failures, imo.
Yeah, I've broken a few chains through the side plates, but never seen a roller shear a chunk out like that. Not complaining at all, just thought it interesting :) Probably should start looking for a new chain, even though there's negligible wear on this one. Once they start to fail, it's not too long and they fail again.

Edit -I think I've found the ideal chain lube. That chain has done just over 3,000kms, & never been cleaned. Ever. Apart from removing the initial factory lube. Running an industrial grade Graphite solid film spray. Nothing sticks to it, nothing, & it's clean as.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.