Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought about having a pressurized hydration pack before. If the cost isn't too much, and the bladder fit into my MULE, I would be interested. I hear that they're going to be making their own packs too. Have you guys heard of anything like this before?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The water is sloshing around in his bladder more than it does in mine when you create a vacuum. It is easy to get all the air out of a traditional bladder. I also wonder if the sliding top locks into place, or if it is possible for it to slide off with vibrations.

I do like the larger opening and that with the pressure you can clean out wounds. I've had to spit water on open wounds to clean muddy blood out of them when pouring water directly on it isn't enough pressure to clean everything.

However the claim that you get 30% more hydration with his system seems very bogus and makes me skeptical of the entire product.:skep: The only way I would get 30% more hydration is if the bladder contained 130 ounces of water vs my 100 ounce bladder. Pressure does not make more water magically appear, nor does it make it possible for me to consume more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
emtnate said:
However the claim that you get 30% more hydration with his system seems very bogus and makes me skeptical of the entire product.:skep: The only way I would get 30% more hydration is if the bladder contained 130 ounces of water vs my 100 ounce bladder. Pressure does not make more water magically appear, nor does it make it possible for me to consume more.
I was also curious as to how they arrived at that figure. I do like the idea of not having to suck to get the water, though.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,384 Posts
I think they make too big of a deal about something that isn't really that important.

OMG! My sloshing bladder will destabilize me and make me crash! Yeah, never happened.

I also don't find I need pressure so much. If I do need pressure from the bite valve, I elevate the pack. I do this all the time when I'm hiking and I want to give my dogs some water. Elevate the pack, then I get pressure and I can spray water straight into their mouths. Not sure if the pressure is enough for cleaning wounds, but that's what an irrigation syringe is for.

I have an old hydrapack bladder with a big closure like that (but it's a roll top kinda like a dry bag).

Oh, another way to pressurize your bladder is to stuff your pack full with a jacket or something.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The more I think about this the more I realize that this is not a good idea. For one I would hate to have a fully inflated bladder in my pack...too big. Keep pressurizing that bladder and the seams are going to fail. What if you have a faulty bite valve, then the water will go spewing all over the place and really PI-S me off.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Just to add one more Nate's opinion to the mix...

Like YaMon, I don't desire an inflated log sitting on my back. It's bad enough with a full bladder. Rolly-Polly bladders is one reason I switched to Deuter from Camelbak.

It's a big hassle to pull the bladder from the pack each time it needs to be refilled. My wife's pack uses a Source bladder with a drybag closure mechanism similar to this one, and it's difficult to fill it while still in the pack.

I DO think this pressurized bladder would be at home in a Hydrapak fanniepack style bag I occasionally use for dog walks.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
A great idea....

Sucking water out of a bladder isn't really that hard. And if I need pressure (clean out a wound, for example), I can blow air back in to the pack to create that pressure.

It's another example of creating a product to solve a problem that doesn't exist. At least in mountain biking.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
emtnate said:
...However the claim that you get 30% more hydration with his system seems very bogus and makes me skeptical of the entire product.:skep: The only way I would get 30% more hydration is if the bladder contained 130 ounces of water vs my 100 ounce bladder. Pressure does not make more water magically appear, nor does it make it possible for me to consume more.
Oh come on....he clearly stated that he isn't coordinated enough to drink during aerobic exercise and therefore does not get enough water unless he stops his activity to drink. What more proof do you need?:D

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
srey said:
I never thought about having a pressurized hydration pack before. If the cost isn't too much, and the bladder fit into my MULE, I would be interested. I hear that they're going to be making their own packs too. Have you guys heard of anything like this before?
I have one that I picked up at Interbike (different brand, same concept). I don't use it. CamelBak bladders and bite valves work better for me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've seen these, but have had no desire to get one.

As others have mentioned, being inflated, the water will slosh around a lot, and you will lose room in your pack and always have that sausage feel.

As for the benefits of spraying, I get a pretty decent pressured stream out of my regular camelbak bladder. In fact, I used it to rinse out some deep leg wounds just a couple weeks ago. And, if you really need a pressure spray, just take of the pack off and push on it or kneel on it, or have someone else push on your pack while it's still on your back. I've done that once or twice, and got about as much of a high pressure spray as I'll ever need.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
My friend had one of those. It sucked.

* He was constantly having to pump it
* One day he forgot his pump and couldn't drink unless we stopped (that was fun)
* We made lots of penis pump jokes

Don't waste your money.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
what he needs to do is combine this with a handlebar mount spray gun, imagine the fun
someone is riding your wheel, blast him, nasty dog , etc. I might buy one and pair it up with a squirt gun
yee haw

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You guys suck. Literally. And this company is trying to help you not suck, and they're gettin' no respect.

So let me see? If only there was another way to prevent water from sloshing around on your back and also provide the ability to squirt pressurized water in your mouth or on whatever.
Wait, I know, my water bottles can do that.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Ken in KC said:
Sucking water out of a bladder isn't really that hard. And if I need pressure (clean out a wound, for example), I can blow air back in to the pack to create that pressure.

It's another example of creating a product to solve a problem that doesn't exist. At least in mountain biking.
+1 to blowing air back into the bladder to create enough pressure to clean out wounds and shower riding buddies up to a range of 8ft. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.