Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From NBC11:
http://www.nbc11.com/news/16668300/detail.html?dl=mainclick

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Highway 1 is closed in both directions near Watsonville after three separate firs started, CHP officials said Friday.

Officials said the fire was burning at Larkin Valley Road at Highway 1.

California Department of Forestry and Fire Prevention reported that helicopter crews were dropping water on the flames.

Flames were going 100 feet into the air as they burned through Eucalyptus groves, crews said.

The fire burned in close proximity to homes. Our NBC station in Monterey, KSBW, said crews were starting to evacuate homes north of the airport in Watsonville.

Randy Cookman called NB11 from his home in Capitola where he said he could see a huge black plume of smoke going up.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I watched it from the roof of my shop as I stood ready with a hose in case any of the falling leaves and debris were still smoldering. Messed up traffic bad.
It seems that it was likely arson. Some people reported seeing somebody setting the fires on the side of the road and they called 911. I think I would have called my front bumper to his knees.:madmax:

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is so sad. So many people and animals affected by this. If this was arson...I don't even know what to say.:madman: I can't understand how people can witness someone setting fires and not do something about. These days people just don't want to get involved. People suck.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i dont get why some people would purposely try and start a huge fire, do they like black chard feilds or something? crazy emo people(no offense jst making a joke).

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
I was in Wilder today ... you could see the gigantic plume of the Indian fire. It's probably 80 miles as the crow flies, ¿no? There was also a smaller one closer by. It's possible that the big plume you saw from Coe was Indian, not Watsonville ... looks like it may be too far South to be Watsonville?

·
More pie please
2,013 Posts

·
Bomber
982 Posts
J said:
Speaking of fires, the side of the hill in Brisbane / San Bruno near 101 is on fire right now.
I come home from a week long vacation in Oregon (no fires this time) and California is on fire? WTF?

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
tell me about it!!!

i'm from the valley and was in santa cruz to get away this weekend...

i was sitting on manresa beach thur afternoon...

rode thru wilder and up around the UCSC stuff early fri...

all i wanted to do before i went home was go back to manresa beach for a while...

the fire killed that idea and i got stuck in the traffic...

i heard it was arson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.