Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh gang I live in Awhatukee so most of my riding is SOMO, wouldn't you if the trail head was 2.5 miles from your house? Anyway what is the best driving route from here to there now that we have all the freeways and stuff? Also what is your favorite trail out there? I ride SS 29er so looking for SS friendly trails, can ride most everthing over here with my current gearing. I was out to Hawes about 10 years ago, enjoyed it but from what I understand its really nice now. Tips?

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
vcyclist said:
Heh gang I live in Awhatukee so most of my riding is SOMO, wouldn't you if the trail head was 2.5 miles from your house? Anyway what is the best driving route from here to there now that we have all the freeways and stuff? Also what is your favorite trail out there? I ride SS 29er so looking for SS friendly trails, can ride most everthing over here with my current gearing. I was out to Hawes about 10 years ago, enjoyed it but from what I understand its really nice now. Tips?
Hawes to twisted sister to wild horse would be a hoot on SS

·
MIA
153 Posts
Driving Route

From Ahwatukee, Pecos (new 202 east) to 101 North, to 202 E. 202 ends and dumps you off (I forget which road, just go left when it dumps you.) Right at the first light, out to Power, left on Power and out to the dirt lot on the left just past the canal at the power lines. There you are, trail head drops off just across the street.

·
Registered
264 Posts
thrash said:
From Ahwatukee, Pecos (new 202 east) to 101 North, to 202 E. 202 ends and dumps you off (I forget which road, just go left when it dumps you.) Right at the first light, out to Power, left on Power and out to the dirt lot on the left just past the canal at the power lines. There you are, trail head drops off just across the street.
202 ends at Higley. As trash notes, L on Higley, then right at the next light, which is Thomas. Then 2 miles east to Power. L on Power. 1.75 miles north; look for the parking just past the canal.

Most people ride a CCW loop around Hawes proper, so veer right until you've gone about 2.5 miles; there's one significant climb that has rubber water bars; after that you'll skirt the houses for a little way then you'll come to an intersection where you'll go left (north). Going north, you'll pass a turn to the left, keep going straight. At the next trail intersection you turn right and climb up to a saddle overlooking the Hawes bowl. From the saddle you can take Twisted Sister to the east out and back as far as 6 miles out; after 1 mile out this heads north and descends into the mellow Wild Horse area; if you want to go all the way to Usery Rd, veer right after the descent from Twisted; there'll be an intersection where if you go straight you'll go out to Bush Highway. After coming back to the saddle head north from the saddle, climb up and around the mountain; this is the Mine Trail. Following Mine, you'll pass two places where a right turn would take you out to the Bush Highway. Eventually you'll come to a T; L would take you back up to where you climbed up to the saddle, R takes you back to the trail head. The Hawes loop is a little under 5 miles; adding Twisted/Wild Horse can add as much as 12 miles to that.

Sounds a bit confusing. There are some trails that cross through the Hawes bowl. But no matter what, it's easy to see where you're parked and find your way back.

One nice thing about Hawes is that there are not many hikers or horses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We should meet up....

Hey I live in Ahwatukee, too, and ride a singlespeed. Most of
my riding is done there, since I can't get away from the fam for
too long. We should meet up, maybe some weekend or
something. I ride a brown UPS BuSS, so say hi if you see me
on the trails sometime.

Cheers-

danSSerman

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Map here......

Here's my map of the Red Moutain (aka Hawes) trail system. Our normal route is to ride it a CCW direction with an out and back on Twisted Sister/Wild Horse to Usery Pass Road (route shown in yellow). Sometimes we extend the ride and add the Pass Mountain loop to make for 32-mile epic.
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=0
We usually park at the Walgreens at Power and McDowell, much safer from theif's. There has been a history of breakins at the canal parking lot where it is easy pickings for thief's. There is a trail that runs along the east side of Power that is a good warm up before hiting the fun stuff. These trails are great for SS'ing. Enjoy!

thrash said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.