Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Coe-operation with California State Parks, the Pine Ridge Association, Responsible
Organized Mountain Pedalers, and the Friends of Gilroy Hot Springs, we bring you:

Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Mar 12 Jim Donnelly Tr 9am Hunting Hollow Fig

Help create our newest trail that climbs directly up to the ridge above Hunting Hollow at a 10% grade for 4 miles. Make your contribution!

We are very proud and excited to present this!

Excellent free park maps and free T-shirts.

Free snacks, water, and beverages.

Tools provided.

Bring your own gloves and eye protection.

We begin at 9am. Take a 20 minute break at noon. Quit at 2:30 pm.

We've been working on this every Saturday since 2/12/11.

Here are the mtbr links to some of the Jim Donnelly activity:

Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Feb 12 New Jim Donnelly Tr 9am Hunting Hollow Blueberry

ENCORE! Henry W Coe Trail Work Day this Saturday the 19th; code name "Cherry"

Coe Snow Trailwork Sat. Feb 26 Hunting Hollow 9am, Dates

Essentially what we are doing is benching new tread with picks and rakes (cutter mattocks and mcleods).

Directions to Hunting Hollow:

If the weather looks good we'll be using BOB trailers and bikes. Bring a bike for a post trail work ride if conditions are okay and you feel like it.

Thanks for all that you do to support us. :thumbsup:

We do something out there rain or shine.

Rain does not cancel.

This trail is 99% poison oak free!

The canopy is definitely oaky!

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
Conditions should be perfect...

...and be sure to bring sunblock!

I was out hiking the upper JDT area yesterday; some photos:
Photobucket
A few poppies were blooming!

Photobucket
View to the SE, the poppies in bloom had full sun (on a sunny day!)

Photobucket
State flower of the "Golden State"

Photobucket
More gold..

Photobucket
Even the rocks were blooming!

Photobucket
The shaman of the Jim Donnelly Canyon left this as a warning to those who complain about trails but don't come out and help work on them!

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
Photos

I got a late start, but it didn't seem I missed much. Well, maybe I missed Paul's infamous safety speech, but once on the trail everyone seemed to go heads down into the task. Later in the day, I took a few pictures, and here are some of them:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pictures at an Expedition

Here are some photos with descriptions of some trail features.

Above: After
Below: Before

Bench

This trail is extra difficult to build because we expect heavy multi-use. The trail is situated directly adjacent to a major trailhead and will be the best route up to the closest ridge. It must serve the three main user groups and allow them to all share the trail and enjoy the experience. We feel pretty good about what we are doing. We are enjoying the build out. I expect the completed trail to reflect the fun we are having building it.

Above: Pliebenberg proudly displays a major toyon berry bush root stock.

Below: Plymmer takes a well earned rest while Knobs stalks images with his camera.

Here's a great example of a properly profiled Rolling Grade Dip constructed by Diesel:

What makes it great? The profile shows a similar line as the side view of a spoon. This is the shape that we all need to understand how to form and where to place in a trail. This is both a drain, and a nice flowy feature (it is not a jump). It is not a water-bar. The spoon is downhill, and the handle is uphill.

The length is good; perhaps 33 feet long. An RGD can be much longer and deeper to be more effective and longer lasting that this one pictured. I would say about 20 feet long is about the smallest size to construct. This RGD pictured here will drain the trail well. But eventually the tip of the spoon may wear down. The bigger and longer we make these, the better.

Heres a photo of that RGD from below looking up the trail.

GL and Diesel at work:

Above: Nice buffed trail.
Below: Bench width.

A big cat used the trail recently:

That's it for now. Nice job everyone.

My heart goes out to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami victims.:sad:

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
About that cat foot print...

Roy, Greg, Chris, and I were walking down the trail, returning tools to the tool trailer. Greg mentions to Chris that he saw a good footprint earlier and he relocates it. Looking at it, we determine it is not a bobcat. I kneel down to get a closer look and begin interpreting, noting the inverted W shape of the pad, the back foot print striking over the front print, and so on. At this point I detect rapt attention and the embellishment begins. I only got to "it was female, and had eaten 12 hours before" when Chris proclaims "Bull S1ht!" and storms down the trail. (Or maybe it was just Chris's regular pace, which would be a storm to a lesser human). We all had a good laugh at that.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
wow, even us Coe rookies look to be able to climb that now!

Good job guys

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Woodland Traverse

There is a section of the trail which gently climbs under a canopy of small black oak trees. Our goal is to save all of the trees, and minimize our impact upon them. In the view below the "established use trail" alignment is quite obvious on the lower right. I have sketched in a rough depiction of the remedy to avoid the trees. This will create an undulating reversal to the trail and eliminate direct conflict with a few trees in the view.

The first small tree on the right appears to be dead, however the second skinny one behind it is alive. The trail will go around behind the larger llive oak on the left, which I've tried to indicate by breaking the drawing around that tree.

Of course the old tread would be restored and replanted.

Here's the original photo for comparision.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Awesome work everyone! This is going to be a great trail to have, it will be really nice climbing to the ridge top without getting your feet wet at the start (since that first crossing is shallow compared to some of the ones before the Middle Steer Ridge/Lyman Willson trail junction).

The only Saturday I've been able to spring recently was the weekend before this (and only the morning) - actually not even Sundays lately - but I'll make it out again sooner or later. Although at this rate I'd better hurry, or the entire trail will be finished!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.