Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Coe-operation with California State Parks, the Pine Ridge Association, Responsible
Organized Mountain Pedalers, and the Friends of Gilroy Hot Springs, we bring you:

Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Feb 12 New Jim Donnelly Tr 9am Hunting Hollow Blueberry

This trail day plan happens rain or shine. :)

You have the opportunity to be part of the first group of volunteers to begin work on a brand
new trail that climbs directly up to the ridge above Hunting Hollow at a 10% grade or less
for 4 miles. This is a groundbreaking event in a metaphorical sense. It represents the first
new trail construction project in Coe Park in many years. This trail will be an instant favorite.

We are very proud and excited to present this!

Here are some photos from last Saturday, Feb. 5, of the trail alignment:

Our main job will be to widen and define the tread using grubbing tools. There is no brushing or saw work.

Please come on down and help define this badly needed trail. When complete, it will
provide a much easier way to access, Spike Jones Trail, Willson Peak, and all the nice
trails that descend off the peak.

Free Henry W. Coe Maps to the volunteer trail worker, and a T-shirt to those who return a second time.

Please bring your own work gloves, wear eye protection, and sturdy footwear.

The trail work site for this activity is directly adjacent to the parking lot, only a 50 yard
stroll away! Therefore there will be no time spent riding or shuttling volunteers to the site.
So if you bring your bike a post TW ride you'll need to either lock it up good, or bring it
along a short ways.

(Having a bike complicates carrying the tools.)

The trail work is just on the other side of the creek. There is a shallow ford.

Everyone meets up in the Hunting Hollow parking lot for orientation.
We will distribute the trail tools in parking lot.
RSVP's are appreciated. In the future I think I'll have to start offering schwag for RSVP's
who show up, as an incentive, to help us get a head count. A head count really helps us
with planning.

Directions:

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Hey Paul

Just curious why the initial effort will be to widen a existing trail instead of realigning the steep sections at the top? since the bottom is already beautifully done and already wider than a good majority of trails within the park. Seems like the big bang for the buck to get a fully unusable trail for more users would be to knock out the upper steep sections first. Also seems to be an invitation for more equestrians to thrash the trail before its fully ready.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This trail is not yet open. It must be built to multi-use DPR standard

Jeff,

I'm not taking the bait.

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
Hey Sorcerer! Your advertisement may never play on real TV, but we certainly can play it here:

(Thanks to Plymmer for volunteering his larynx skills.)

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
knobs said:
Hey Sorcerer! Your advertisement may never play on real TV, but we certainly can play it here:

Damn, you guys are too funny!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Sorcerer said:
Jeff,

I'm not taking the bait.
Not baiting just an honest question. I wonder how many trail's in Coe are up to DPR standards? I'm sure it all political but geese look at the pictures you posted, can anyone look at those and say they need to be worked on?

Maybe they can let Don back in to finish the upper section while you make the lower section compatible for horses, we can even ask him to keep his clothes on ;)

Sorry, I'm done ranting and I'll definitely try and make it a point to join for the trails days on the upper section, this will be really sweet once it's done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Everyone come out this weekend! This is going to be the most popular singletrack out of Hunting Hollow and we can help build it! It climbs up nice open forest and grasslands.

In case people are confused, the lower section of this new trail has been built already but it's not too wide (very narrow in spots, there are even a few trees that I hit sometimes with my wide handlebars). Those who stumbled upon it (like me) and others who found out about it have been using the lower section for a while. This is going to be THE trail to climb from Hunting Hollow once it's done - similar to the climb up from China Hole (totally reasonable grade), and only the creek crossing right by the cars so you don't get too wet right at the start of a ride.

And the chance of rain for this weekend seems to be pushed off - now the forecast is perfect sunny weather!

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts
Sustainability...

TahoeBC said:
Not baiting just an honest question. I wonder how many trail's in Coe are up to DPR standards? I'm sure it all political but geese look at the pictures you posted, can anyone look at those and say they need to be worked on?

Maybe they can let Don back in to finish the upper section while you make the lower section compatible for horses, we can even ask him to keep his clothes on ;)

Sorry, I'm done ranting and I'll definitely try and make it a point to join for the trails days on the upper section, this will be really sweet once it's done. :thumbsup:
This section of trail is getting priority because it re-routes the very steep (and non-sustainable) final drop on Jim Donnelly. For those who haven't had the pleasure of trying out this new section, Sorcerer's photos are showing some of the nearly-completed switchbacks and a section where the trail's on nearly flat ground. Much of the route is not like that! IMHO there's a good mile of trail that's still too narrow (even for hikers or bikers) for the DPR to even be close to being comfortable with. ("Too narrow" being that one or the other of opposing traffic has to dismount and leave the trail to get by)

My "hat's off" to the rebel who laid out this route---excellent job! The slope is perfect (too perfect?) and sight lines would be hard to improve on. My only criticism is that a couple of switchbacks are located where they'll take a lot of work to make everybody happy.

Here's a video from last month where I'm following "knobs" down JD back to Hunting Hollow. (knobs is wearing jeans because this was part of a hike-a-bike trip where most of the time was spent hiking) Viewers should note that in some places the trail is barely discernible at all. Also note the pig damage making the trail even narrower. The "new" section begins shortly after we ride past the stopped rider (Sorcerer). Get that popcorn in the microwave!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
pliebenberg said:
("Too narrow" being that one or the other of opposing traffic has to dismount and leave the trail to get by)
Which pretty much describes most of the single track in Coe:)

·
More Torque
2,026 Posts
knobs said:

Well done, you two! I was almost spitting up my breakfast laughing at this.

-D

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
Diesel~ said:
Well done, you two! I was almost spitting up my breakfast laughing at this.
-D
One of my goals in life is to make fruit loops come out of your nose. I'll keep working on that. (Let's not talk about my other "goals.") This trail work day is going to be fun - especially since it's going to be awesome to have that trail in the portfolio. And I get to use some of Sorcerer's Tools.

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts
The real deal...

knobs said:

Two things make this video a real delight; a) Having first hand knowledge that the raw footage was not staged and b) that this video is followed on YouTube by "Colonblow Wedding Prank".

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
pliebenberg said:
Two things make this video a real delight; a) Having first hand knowledge that the raw footage was not staged and b) that this video is followed on YouTube by "Colonblow Wedding Prank".
I think Colonblow follows because I tagged the vid with "fake commercial".

Anyone who can break the code of the audio-visual pun at :22 gets free chocolate at the trail work day.

·
More pie please
1,996 Posts
knobs said:
I think Colonblow follows because I tagged the vid with "fake commercial".
Or maybe you secretly embedded "Colonblow" in your file as a search term?

knobs said:
Anyone who can break the code of the audio-visual pun at :22 gets free chocolate at the trail work day.
Wrench/Wench/Hoe?

Right or wrong, I'm not eating any of your free "chocolates".

See you guys tomorrow,
///Charlie

·
middle ring single track
4,676 Posts
very punny...

Skyline35 said:
Or maybe you secretly embedded "Colonblow" in your file as a search term?

Wrench/Wench/Hoe?

Right or wrong, I'm not eating any of your free "chocolates".

See you guys tomorrow,
///Charlie
For starters Charlie why are you using white text for "colonblow"??? << edit OK now I get it; Charlie you must have spent some time as a hacker! >>

RE knobs AV pun; his evil genius is trying to wreck havoc amongst the Coe MTBR community. I know I wasted a couple of hours trying to figure it out---my breakdown:

a) The first image shows wirecutters but the voice-over sounds like "paramedics"; full name "diagonal wirecutters" are commonly know as "*****" so this must mean "lesbian paramedics"

b) The second image shows a pulaski tool and the voice-over correctly identifies it as so; Pulaski, TN, however is the birthplace of the KKK---I don't have a clue yet how the KKK is going to fit in with "lesbian paramedics".

c) The 3rd, at :22 seconds is an image of a Weber BBQ grill and the voice-over says "shears"---WTF; are the "lesbian paramedics" now getting their hair cut on the way to a KKK BBQ?

d) The 4th image is of a "Crescent" adjustable wrench but the voice-over says "clippers"---I'll go with Charlie's "wench" but add that the wench is also getting a haircut.

e) Hoe the image; "ho's" the voice-over---they're obviously going to the KKK BBQ to turn some tricks.

f) Image is of a shovel the tool ; voice-over "shovels" to dig something up???

g) Image is a McLeod the tool; wait a minute - - - is knobs calling us "tools"!?!?:eekster:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts