Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated before, I just moved here in November from NoCal and have not done much riding since i've been here (just Scapoose and Powell Butte which was so so). Since it looks like this weekend will lead up to 4 or 5 days without rain or snow, I want to go on a good ST ride. I bought a book on PDX area trails and it suggests Henry Hagg Lake Trail. Living in NoCal for the past 2.5 years it looks like this trail might resemble the Sly Park Trail outside of Placerville. I also saw Larch Mtn. Does anyone now if the Larch Mtn. trail has snow or is not ridable yet? Any other suggestions are totally welcomed or if anyone is going on a ride this weekend. let me know! Are any trails around the Hood area ridable?

·
Ride More Work Less
372 Posts
Forget about Hagg Lake unless you are looking for just an easy trail without much up or downhill. Molalla is extremely muddy when wet and I don't know how much it will dry out from this weather. Larch Mtn trail is better left until June or July.

You'll want to head into the Tillamook State Forest on the way to Tillamook. The most popular trails are in this area. The Historic Hiking Trail is the most popular. Most people call it "Brown's Camp" Trail, even though it starts near Rogers Camp. I have attached a link to some nice write-ups about all the Trails. I don't know if I can ride this weekend or I would offer to be a guide. I'm sure others will ride and maybe someone will let you tag along. PM if you want to discuss further

http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/trails.shtml

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. In the book I bought, it also suggests the Historic Hiking Trail. I have also heard of Brown's Camp and did not realize it was the same trail. In the book it says it is only an 8 mile loop. Are there more miles that can be added on?

It looks like I am going to Brown's Camp this Saturday. Any one else want to join me??

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question. Do you think the drive up to Brown's Camp conditions be icy and slick? My girlfriend and I drove over the Coastal Range on Hwy. 26 two weeks ago to Cannon Beach and I hated the drive. Do not get me wrong, I loved the scenery, but it was way too slick. Originally being from Louisiana I am not used to driving in those icy conditions. If the drive is say not that bad, then I will take the chance for great ST.

·
I got nothin'
739 Posts
Tillamook...

Hagen,

There will likely be snow still on the ground at the pass still. The roads should be cleared by now though. Maybe if you wait until later in the day you will have better luck with the ice.

I would meet you for a ride but I am nursing a cold that I picked up yesterday. :mad:

Leeman might have an update on the conditions up there. He typically rides there frequently.

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
Hagen said:
I have also heard of Brown's Camp and did not realize it was the same trail. In the book it says it is only an 8 mile loop. Are there more miles that can be added on?
It feels like more than 8, even though it is 8. It packs a good amount of climbing and descending to get your money's worth. You can tack on extra miles by doing Storey Burn Rd., just north across Hwy. 6 from the Brown's trail head parking area. This addition makes the total ride 12 miles in a figure 8. It is fun too. Others can add specifics, I just ride by feel out there. :D Also, I am sure I will be corrected, but I thought Brown's was more of a fair/dry weather ride, etiquet wise. I don't want to get slammed. So sorry about bringing it up, but I gots to know. :)

Cheers!

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
what MeatFoot said. I also enjoy parking down at the Gales Creek campground area and taking the Storeyburn trail up, cross Storeyburn road and then zip back down the the start/end of Brown's. Do the Brown's loop, cross back over to the North side of 26 and then ride the Gales Creek trail back down to your car. This ride works out to around 15 miles and puts you on singletrack nearly the whole way rather than climbing up Storeyburn road.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
" I thought Brown's was more of a fair/dry weather ride, etiquet wise. I don't want to get slammed. So sorry about bringing it up, but I gots to know."

I was kind of curious about that as well, might be up in the area in the next couple of weeks and was thinking of hitting it if it held up. It seems like the Browns camp would be okay but maybe the Storey Burn side might not?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hagg Lake is a good summer weekday trail for a big ring haul a$$ ride. Also a great place to bring a newbie to. Weekend summer days can be pretty busy. Lots of fishermen, walkers, swimmers, picknickers, near misses, etc. Few trails offer mud that sticks better than Hagg.

I have always felt that Brown's was too mucky in the winter and now avoid it in the wet season. Gales Creek trail from the campground to Bell Camp Road and down toward Reehers to where it crosses the main road seems to drain better and not get so trashed. The lower section closest to Reehers gets more horse use and I've seen it 6 inches deep in slop. Best winter riding IMHO is at 3 Corner Rock and Siouxon and the sections of Tarbell furthest from the horse camps. The Washington side of the river seems to be more rocky and have better drainage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I drove out to browns camp on Tuesday and the roads getting there were fine. The parking lot at browns was covered in snow and ice, might be a little sketchy if you dont have 4x4. Oddly enough the gate at gales creek CG was open, but I think they were doing some work down there, the road did look icy though. I found browns camp pretty much unrideable due to copious ammounts of ice underneath some slush. Going up was a *****, coming down a little better. If this ice has melted it should be a nice mud pit by now. Maybe sunday would be the day to ride it after a little more warming...

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,100 Posts
General Coonskins said:
I was kind of curious about that as well, might be up in the area in the next couple of weeks and was thinking of hitting it if it held up. It seems like the Browns camp would be okay but maybe the Storey Burn side might not?
My personal decision is not to ride out there when it's muddy. I haven't been out there since October though and generally tend to trade in the bike for a snowboard or snowshoes during the winter months anyway.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the trail re-routes seemed to take care of a few sensitive areas, but that last mile of singletrack (if ridden CW) that circumvents the whoops seems to be especially sensitive to use when wet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.