Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who want a fast pace tour of a (small) part of Henry Coe, you're welcome to join me for the HCXC ride. Maybe someone else volunteers to lead a somewhat more social pace ride? We could still all meet at Kelly Lake for lunch together.

Suggested routes:

Fast pace: JDT - Spike Jones - Timm - Coit - Anza - Jackson - Elderberry - Kelly Lake - lunch - KCC - Cross Canyon - Coit Rd - Domino Pond - Cattle Duster - Grapevine - Anza - Coit Rd - GHS Rd

Social pace: GHS Rd - Coit Rd - Anza - Jackson - Elderberry - Kelly Lake - lunch - KCC - Cross Canyon - Grapevine - Anza - Coit Rd - GHS Rd

10am Hunting Hollow Parking Lot Monday Dec 26th. --- if it doesn't rain.

Carpool from Cupertino available.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For those who want an intro to Coe, what JL didn't mention is that his route hits the best-of-south-Coe trails (for such a "short" ride by Coe standards), so it's a perfect ride to join!

Kelly Cabin Canyon trail (KCC trail) is now completely rideable (if you have the skills of course...especially the tight-switchbacks-skills). Eric, Charlie, and I cleared the fallen trees on Saturday.

·
Registered
860 Posts
For those who want a fast pace tour of a (small) part of Henry Coe, you're welcome to join me for the HCXC ride. Maybe someone else volunteers to lead a somewhat more social pace ride? We could still all meet at Kelly Lake for lunch together.

Suggested routes:

Fast pace: JDT - Spike Jones - Timm - Coit - Anza - Jackson - Elderberry - Kelly Lake - lunch - KCC - Cross Canyon - Coit Rd - Domino Pond - Cattle Duster - Grapevine - Anza - Coit Rd - GHS Rd

Social pace: GHS Rd - Coit Rd - Anza - Jackson - Elderberry - Kelly Lake - lunch - KCC - Cross Canyon - Grapevine - Anza - Coit Rd - GHS Rd

10am Hunting Hollow Parking Lot Monday Dec 26th. --- if it doesn't rain.

Carpool from Cupertino available.
What would be considered fast pace? Or with me asking this question am I already too slow....:madman:. From your previous post I'm assuming a finishing target time to be somewhere around 3.5 hours with about 4,500 vertical footies? Would you recommend taking the social pace the first time out to Coe?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'll depend on the size of the group and which riders join the ride. If you do the Kennedy turkey ride or the Stnafor Road to real Mission Peak climb in about 40 minutes you are fast enough for me. If we're only with a few riders (who don't know the area) we usually stick together and determine along the way how far we will go. If there are lots of riders (especially some that know the trails there), it's usually better to split the group. Since we're having lunch together, you could always start in one group and finish in the other.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It'll depend on the size of the group and which riders join the ride. If you do the Kennedy turkey ride or the Stnafor Road to real Mission Peak climb in about 40 minutes you are fast enough for me. If we're only with a few riders (who don't know the area) we usually stick together and determine along the way how far we will go. If there are lots of riders (especially some that know the trails there), it's usually better to split the group. Since we're having lunch together, you could always start in one group and finish in the other.
Thanks JL. I was supposed to be traveling to out of town during the holidays but as of now it looks like it may not happen. Count me in if I'm in town. I don't have an accurate time up to the real MP but my best time from inside the gate to the Y is 34:32 and up Mangler in 4:17. Hopefully there will be others so different groups could be formed.

Any chance of getting anyone out there this Friday?

·
Hipster
346 Posts
Count me in for the fast-pace ride! I've only ridden Coe once-- from the HQ entrance. Looking forward to checking out the South side.

·
Hipster
346 Posts
Marco, any chance of riding Coe this Friday?
Sure, I'm up for that... We can take the route I took from Coe HQ-- then JL's route on Monday. A good taste of 2 sections of the park.

This route is about 5k of climbing or so. Several creek crossings.

Coe HQ-> Manzanita ->Flat frog -> Hobbs -> Middle Ridge -> Poverty Flat -> Mahoney -> Lost Spring -> China Hole -> Manzanita ->Coe HQ.

Map here: http://www.coepark.org/maps/western_zone/hq_hiking_map.pdf

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sure, I'm up for that... We can take the route I took from Coe HQ-- then JL's route on Monday. A good taste of 2 sections of the park.

Coe HQ-> Manzanita ->Flat frog -> Hobbs -> Middle Ridge -> Poverty Flat -> Mahoney -> Lost Spring -> China Hole -> Manzanita ->Coe HQ.

Great! Let me know if you want to catch a ride and we could just shuttle on over.

How would you compare this ride to Alum Rock's 5,000 feet of climbing? I'm sure it's much more difficult but mileage and vertical feet seem similar. Just trying to feel it out...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks JL. I was supposed to be traveling to out of town during the holidays but as of now it looks like it may not happen. Count me in if I'm in town. I don't have an accurate time up to the real MP but my best time from inside the gate to the Y is 34:32 and up Mangler in 4:17. Hopefully there will be others so different groups could be formed.

Any chance of getting anyone out there this Friday?
OK you're definitely fast enough to start with the fast group. (My best time from inside the gate to the Y is 32:37). I'm working on Friday. Have fun with Marco. The Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, China Hole loop is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Still down?

OK you're definitely fast enough to start with the fast group. (My best time from inside the gate to the Y is 32:37). I'm working on Friday. Have fun with Marco. The Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, China Hole loop is a lot of fun.
Nice time up MP! You're name is always towards the top of the list...:thumbsup:.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
I would love to be involved with this ride, however, I am stuck going up to dreadfully beautiful Mendocino count(r)y for the extended holiday weekend. :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd love to ride Coe this time of year. If am am up early enough I may try to meet up.
My preference would be a more social pace but would be up for anything.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm out on this one. I'll be leaving for LA later tonight....:mad:. Good thing I got a nice ride in with Marco at Coe, otherwise I would be really sad.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, Marco, it'll be you and me, it seems. That'll be a nice pace! If you want we can car pool, do you want to meet at my house at 8:45am?

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, Marco, it'll be you and me, it seems. That'll be a nice pace! If you want we can car pool, do you want to meet at my house at 8:45am?
It sounds like a tight group. I didn't hear any more calls for a social pace so I guess I'm out. Enjoy the ride!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts