Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are pleased to announce, in cooperation with California State Parks, Henry W. Coe volunteer trail work will take place this Saturday, January 30th, 2010, to continue the activity on the Jackson Trail.

This is the mtbr thread about it from the 2nd Saturday Trail day.

The Gilroy Hotsprings Road is now open. It was closed for a number of days just past the intersection of Canada Road due to storm damage. It will be interesting to view the damages.

RSVPs to this thread or directly to me are helpful.

At our last trail work day on the Jackson Trail a couple of weeks ago, we were not able to address serious drainage and guttering problems on the upper-most sections of the jackson Trail. Because of the incredible precipitation since then, we can expect to find severe damage.

We will evaluate the quality of work already performed, and make repairs and modifications as we are able.

The more hands we have, the better. Please join in!

Wear appropriate clothing, work gloves, and eye protection. Bring food and water. It looks like we will be short on transpo this day, so everyone needs to plan on riding in. It is a nice ride anyway. We will be able to work until at least 3pm.

Due to the ravages of winter storms, trails everywhere are in need of attention, but Jackson Trail is where our focus is right now. Reports on trail conditions and fallen trees anywhere in Coe are most welcome here in this thread.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos of Gilroy Hotsprings Rd Repair and creeks

There was a PRA board meeting this evening, and I got out of work early enough to get to the Coyote Creek entrance and hike up to the beginiing of the Jackson Trail and back with a shovel.

I stopped and took some shots of the Gilroy Hotsprings Road repair on te way. It looks temporary, yet it represents a lot of incredible work and materials.

Here's a look at the fallen Sycamore(s).

This is the view up Hunting Hollow Creek from the bridge on Gilroy Hot Springs Road.

This is a view up the Grizzly Gulch Creek at the Coit Rd ford just past the ramada (below Spike Jones).

I spoke with Supervising Ranger Stuart Organo, and he said that the creek was 7 feet higher than it was today, when it was going full blast during the rains.

It was too dark to take photos on my trail work hike. Mostly I used the shovel to flick and heave off fallen debris. I also cut out and mucked out some drains. The Anza Trail fared very well, and is all rideable right now. The last minute drainage work done by Diesel at the end of the last trail work day really paid off. Anza Falls was going off pretty good, and was a nice sight to see.

It was dark when I left, and I put on the lights on the Sorceress.

The trail work day this weekend will be really great. The trail will be rideable and readily worked. I hope some more people besides Ratpick can come.

·
More pie please
2,012 Posts
ratpick said:
Clearing my schedule so I can be there. My bike is in the shop but I have an old spare.

My fitness is seasonally degraded but if you can't find any more capable mules, I'll give it a go :)

9am, right?
"Seasonally degraded" - ha, great term for that...yeah, that's what's happening to me :)

9am at Hunting Hollow should be correct. Parking passes for the day to participants too. I will be there.

Paul - thanks for the updates on GHS Road. Great news

///Charlie

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Major bummer - one of our cars is in the shop and will remain so over the weekend. My wife needs the other car tomorrow morning (she always wins this contest :) so I'm unable to make the 90 min trek from Redwood Shores down to Hunting Hollow.

I think you all live south of me, but if someone is passing by and can fit me and a bike, please PM me!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rain or Shine trail Work is Fine

Just a last minute update to say that we do this rain or shine.

There is a tool trailer at the bottom of Anza Trail. The route to that is like a mile of dirt road that is okay to ride on if it rains. So in the worst case scenario you can ride thatfar and then hike to the trail work. Or I can shuttle people in my truck as needed, form the Coyote Creek gate, where it is okay to park.

Just remember we meet at Hunting Hollow at 9:00 am, and then that we are working on the Jackson Trail. You can drop in late, bit there are a couple things about that. One is we need tools for everyone, so if you do plan to arrive late, let me know in advance of 8:30 am Saturday by email or this thread (I have a BB so I do get messages), so I can get tools in the BOB trailer for you. Thye other thing is that you need to sign the volunteer record and waiver before doing any work. I carry that on me, so I can sign you up and give you an assignment.

I expect conditions will permit riding, and I am preparing for that. However, I will also be prepared to hike up with tools that I can carry.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
How did the trail work go?

Couldn't make this one - and probably won't be able to make any Saturdays this spring. Any trail work days planned for Sundays?

How wet is it out there - would a mostly-ridges ride be a dumb idea for tomorrow?

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
locoyokel said:
How did the trail work go?
How wet is it out there - would a mostly-ridges ride be a dumb idea for tomorrow?
Not a dumb idea.

I rode on a section of Coit Road and Wasno Road after the trail work, the roads are fine. There's a few puddles, but nothin to stop you. Also rode some single track, of note: Grapevine is in good condition, despite a fallen tree. Cattle Duster has some wetness and channels, needs some repair. Anza up to the Jackson intersection is in good shape, don't know the status between there and Grapevine. Jackson is good, although our trail work sections are a bit gooey, which would be a minor reason to avoid it for now.

Have a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Jan. 30 Jackson Trail Coe review

After all the wet weather since the last time we went out Coe, the sunshine and big white fluffy clouds, were most agreeable to the nature-loving souls out in Coe today. It will be good riding on Sunday Jan. 31.

In all there were just eight of us volunteering to do trail work on the Jackson Trail. In contrast there were 30 people working on Coastal View trail in Marin today (Team Hamana about half of them, and the Forest Knoll Freewheelers running things). But big or small we take them all. And I like small groups anyway. We get it done.

As is often the case, we used BOB trailers to transport tools to the work area. Just Drew and I pulled them up to the bottom of the "Jackson Wall", and it was tougher than last time due to the softer, but not too bad, conditions. We have the park tool trailer situated at the bottom of the Anza Trail right now. And because it is there, I am thinking we should up Cattle Duster next time (try to get a ranger to chainsaw tree down on Grapevine at that time), and then move it to the bottom of Spike Jones after that, to work on known issues on Grizzly Gulch (but a seriously tough pull for BOBs (we're gonna be in good shape this spring if we can take it)).

Jackson is a hard climb without a trailer. But it is not about trailers. It's the people. That's Special O below in the CCMB jersey.

We rode up to the base of the Jackson Wall and staged from there. The last time we were here on Jan. 9th, we built a really good long term reversal here. It was good to see it all high and dry and hardened. It does a trail worker good to see this. It was difficult to build. It has a heart of stone, and is like a buried coffee table. What I pledged to do different this season was to build more long lasting stuff like that, on not just little nicks and gutters. Okay, so we still do little knicks and gutters, so sorry, but we have to, furthermore I don't approve. I want stuff that stays and works and becomes the trail, not just little temporary doo-dads, that smack your suspension or force you to bunny hop, nagging on the edge of the trail.

To me these big grassy waves of Coe hills are a fine thing to have a close look at. Can you see the next set rolling in? There's a peak out there.

Some things don't seem to change. Here you see yellow pin flags marking some of the old drains which were all silted in. You can clearly see that water just travels down the single-track, excavating more tread. I didn't get an after shot, but most of the old silted-up drains were mucked out and reformed. This section, would benefit from RGDs, but they are so hard to build by hand, so we just cut drains again.

I took four of us up to the top right away, and went to the first gulch crossing on the Elderberry Trail. I figured that if we didn't get there right away, with fresh energy, we would not get to it this year, while conditions were so right. The gutter was out of control.

It took four of the team to fix this. Diskus and Bailout as bookends.

This turn came out pretty good. However on the left, the tread needs to be carved out more so that the outer edge of the trail follows the same trajectory of the radius projected from below and described by the red flag. I shall have to stop there on a ride and correct it later, and cut the tread wider at the spot.

By the way there is a tree trip shin basher that has rolled into the trail that we need to cut. My saw was broken at this time, lost the wing-nut to the Sven saw, so it will have to wait. Watch out for this on Elderberry as it is a bit dangerous. There are going to be a ot of odd trees down here there in the park (and slides etc.).

There's a big Oak down on Grapevine on the newer section.
This is a sketch by Knobs posted as a PSA. I like it for some reason!

Here's 3/4's of the Elderberry crew on Elderberry with the Pine Ridge in the distant background. The views to the north here are really great, and have that cherishable viewshed largely unblemished by human contrivances.

Dan51 and Knobs confabulate on the steps to take. Skyline35 and SpecialO were putting their sweat into the trail as well. I hope Skyline will post some of his photos soon.

That's about it from me for now. Here's a section of Anza Falls from today (just a tease), some Milk Maids, and finally today's sunset to end things off with. Pretty good day. The photos do not show how much was accomplished and how beautiful it was. Thanks everyone!

Next volunteer trail work day on Coe is Febuary 13th, Hunting Hollow at 9:00am. I am looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lokoyokel, I was thinking already that I would like to do at least one or two of the bonus trail days on a Sunday. Maybe we could do one in Febuary? What days work for you?

·
More pie please
2,012 Posts
Thank you knobs, special O, Diskus, Bailout, and Chris...plus I heard dan51 and The Law were there too. Big thanks to Sorcerer for doing all the organizing. Turned out that the rain that came through Friday afternoon was a perfect moisturizer for the soil.

Yesterday, without having seen it, I was mocking alarm at the elimination of the Gully of Terror but that little reroute looks excellent.

///Charlie

Staging area:

A couple of Sorcerer pulling the tool trailer:

special O test riding Jackson Trail:

knobs riding the skinny on Gilroy Hot Springs bridge:

He made it to here:

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Commendable

Thanks for working on these trails. It is my main entry point for most of my rides (a good way to start a 10K with it's 1400 feet alt. gain) so much needed. Sorry I couldn't make it. I was doing septic work at the family cabin. That's a story in itself. Thanks for working on Elderberry also. That gully reroute looks pretty nice. It got very scary with the rains this year. Looking forward to February 13th!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks all... so sorry I couldn't be there to help.

I took my old REI hardtail out there today to sample your work (Stumpy is getting its annual physical at PTB). Really nice job on Jackson and it's going to hold up well with further rain this winter. Rob, from PRA (with the red truck), was parking at the bottom of Anza as I started climbing; I guessed he was doing some work on lower Anza although it was mostly in good condition. The Elderberry Springs reroute is also well done (I couldn't find the down tree).

This is winter?

Feeling brave, I continued on down Cross Canyon over Coit Rd. There are a lot of trees down on this trail. I cleared a couple but without a saw could only break branches to make most of them passable; only this last one by the creek needs a chainsaw.

As you would expect, where the trail runs at creek level, it is often washed out or underwater. The creek crossings are deep (some rideable, though).

The Cross Canyon wall is (probably) unclimbable at the moment - very rutted and messed up. Cursing that I missed my opportunity late in Spring when it was at its best!

Bowl out of Wilson Camp is the muddiest trail I was on all day - I think the equestrians using it aren't helping but in some places, it's just not draining at all. Saw a couple of California Poppies at Wilson Camp which topped off my day!

I saw several Coe newts - what's up with these critters? They don't seem at all afraid - I'm surprised there aren't many of them squished on the trails where they seem to like hanging out (presumably worshiping the Sun).

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Wish I could have stayed longer, but my hand is screwed after my crash last weekend. It got to the point where I could barely hold a tool.

Thanks for all the work. The dirt is prime for working now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Managed to get a short ride in this afternoon, and I got the tree on Elderberry - but not until almost dusk so it's odd that you didn't see the tree(s) ratpick, unless you came through there after 4:50 pm! I got one of Diesel's red hand saws a few weeks back and this was it's first trip - it's a bit big and heavy for the longer rides, where I use my old smaller one, but it was perfect for getting the two trees (one at head height right near the nasty one):

Checked out a few other trails - nothing all that bad except Serpentine, which got really trashed - lots of deep rutting:

Also checked out the Kelly Lake trail, which (as many of us noticed at HCFC) suffered a lot of damage in the early October rain storm. Surprisingly it seemed little changed from all the recent rain, other than a few more rocks down (I cleared the big ones) - I think the loose rutting in the rocky area is down to the rocks and not likely to get too much worse anytime soon, although it's not exactly in good shape.

Spike Jones is in great shape because someone's been maintaining hordes of drains - thanks whoever you are!

Sorcerer, actually Feb is really busy for me (moving a few miles to a bigger apartment at the end of the month), so the only Sunday that would work is next weekend, the 7th. And March isn't much better, so don't schedule around me. I might be able to sneak a Saturday afternoon sometime too - not the 13th unfortunately, baby sitting all 3 days while Karin does her WFR recert class.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
locoyokel said:
Checked out a few other trails - nothing all that bad except Serpentine, which got really trashed - lots of deep rutting:
I think Serpentine needs to be rerouted. All that steep stuff needs to go, since it only causes huge ruts and leg pain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.