Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Jackass Trail in Henry Coe State Park; there is still a lot of debris from the Lick Fire (Sept 2007):

Jackass Trail will be the target of next Saturday's trail work day:

We'll be meeting up with Ranger Eric Griggs in front of the maintenance barn at HQ at 9:00am for work on the Jackass Trail. Transportation to and from the work site, with your bike if you want to ride back afterwards, will be provided courtesy of Eric and his State Parks vehicle.

Jackass Trail was heavily impacted by the fire. The trail is severely damaged. We will repair tread, and brush as needed. Most of the heavy logs and brush have been removed already by our crew a couple of months ago, however there are some things still in the way.

The bottom of Jackass Trail, a large meadow, right above where it meets Poverty Flat Rd will be considered for a proposed realignment to improve the trail flow, and take it away from the current fall-line alignment that bisects the meadow. We will create a proposal for realignment with the idea of getting the Sweco to build this at a later date.

Many sections of the Jackass Trail have been severely burned, leaving virtually no trace of the original trail. In places volunteer trail is now well developed. The incinerated soil is actually workable. Benching is needed in many areas.

I plan to ride out to the trailwork, starting at 8:00am up at HQ, and ride back (maybe doing Rock House Ridge) afterwards. Carpool with me if you are interested in doing an epic and a trail-day at the same time.

People are welcome to show up just to do trailwork too; there are 5 seats available on the ranger truck. The trail work will end by 1:30 pm, and passengers can expect to be back at HQ by 2:30 pm.

Please RSVP.

-Paul
email: [email protected]
Ranger Eric Griggs will probably have a chainsaw which will slice through those fallen trees. :thumbsup:

I will be at Coe Headquarters at 8am for the "mountain bike in - trailwork - mountain bike out" option.

Directions to Coe HQ.

NOAA Weather pinpointed to Coe HQ.

///Charlie

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Does the bike in route include Flat Frog and Middle Ridge?
I'm currently a maybe for this. The bike is in pieces at the moment.

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
how far is the ride to the site? what time exactly?

derek

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan - I intend to get to the work site via Flat Frog and Middle Ridge. Please know that the climb up Poverty Flat Road is—not to pull any punches—very, very ugly.

Bullet71 - I will answer your mileage question tonight. If you want to bike to the work site, meet us at 8am @ HQ. If you want to ride in the Ranger's truck to the work site, meet him at 9am @ HQ (in front of the maintenance barn). He can carry your bike so that you can ride after the work ends (~1:30pm).

///Charlie

·
Medium?
6,726 Posts
Skyline35 said:
Please know that the climb up Poverty Flat Road is—not to pull any punches—very, very ugly.
Only if it's going to be hot. Oh wait...

I'd love to join, but I've got to help our scouts get ready for a big trip. And it would violate my don't-go-to-Henry-Coe-if-it's-going-to-be-over-85-degrees policy.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
That Link

That weather link looks a bit conservative. I've heard elsewhere that it's going to be in the 90's and 100's in other parts of the bay area. Not to scare anyone off but plan for heat in a big way. Bring plenty o' food and a water filter (I will bring mine anyway). Electrolytes are a good idea also. It's a different world there when it gets hot.

Roy.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
it would violate my don't-go-to-Henry-Coe-if-it's-going-to-be-over-85-degrees policy.

Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 65. Northwest wind between 5 and 8 mph.

and a nearly Full Moon on one of the shortest nights of the year ;)

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Ride At Night

There is a planned ride to Mustang Peak. The Nightriders are going out there. Jeff, you might want to check out when they are starting.

Roy.

·
Medium?
6,726 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 65. Northwest wind between 5 and 8 mph.

and a nearly Full Moon on one of the shortest nights of the year ;)
Very tempting. I'd be way more interested in singletrack than Mustang Peak, but I might be persuaded.

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bullit71 said:
how far is the ride to the site?
It is about 9 - 10 miles and 1,000' - 1,500 climb.

Plymmer is right about the temperature; Gilroy's prediction is about 10 degrees higher that Coe HQ. Blue Ridge, where we'll be working, usually has a somewhat cool marine breeze which must account for the 10° temperature difference.

///Charlie

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Skyline35 said:
Dan - I intend to get to the work site via Flat Frog and Middle Ridge. Please know that the climb up Poverty Flat Road is—not to pull any punches—very, very ugly.

Bullet71 - I will answer your mileage question tonight. If you want to bike to the work site, meet us at 8am @ HQ. If you want to ride in the Ranger's truck to the work site, meet him at 9am @ HQ (in front of the maintenance barn). He can carry your bike so that you can ride after the work ends (~1:30pm).

///Charlie
I've been up that Poverty Flat climb twice. I remember hating it when it was 60 degrees. Climbing it in 90+ will suck. You going back via China Hole? That climb will suck too, since it's largely exposed. I may have just talked myself out of this.... Plus Shiloh is in Japan with the camera, so I won't even be able to take any pics :(

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dan51 said:
I've been up that Poverty Flat climb twice. I remember hating it when it was 60 degrees. Climbing it in 90+ will suck. You going back via China Hole? That climb will suck too, since it's largely exposed. I may have just talked myself out of this.... Plus Shiloh is in Japan with the camera, so I won't even be able to take any pics :(
The first climb up Poverty Flat Road will be early in the morning so it will be cool. But this road gets a lot of traffic from the in-holders which has made a deep layer of power sapping moon-dust.

The ride back will be during the hot part of the day. The quickest way back would: Jackass Trail > Poverty Flat Road > Creekside Trail > China Hole Trail > Manzanita Point Road to HQ

If we're feeling it, the return ride would be something like: Jackass Trail > Blue Ridge Road > Black Oak Spring Trail > Rock House Ridge Trail > Narrows Trail > Mahoney Meadows Road > Lost Spring Trail or Poverty Flat Road/Creekside > China Hole Trail > Manzanita Point Road to HQ

///Charlie, obviously not in Sales

I was out in this area of the Park last Saturday (6/7/2008); a few pictures:

Some squiggly burnt trees on the Jackass Trail (I posted a picture of these in the fog once):

This is Poverty Flat Road just above the Jackass Trail; steep and dusty:

Black Oak Spring Trail; if we get here, maybe we'll clear the trail of these fallen branches with hand saws:

Black Oak Springs; the water was flowing nicely:

A couple pictures of how China Hole is looking these days:

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Law said:
Konnichiwa!

Charlie, you should get Dan to go. He loves Coe in the heat.

Shiloh
You are saying that from a very safe distance!

And I suppose you want me to make sure that while Dan is at HQ, he buys that Coe wildflower book you've be wanting...

///Charlie

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Skyline35 said:
You are saying that from a very safe distance!

And I suppose you want me to make sure that while Dan is at HQ, he buys that Coe wildflower book you've be wanting...

///Charlie
Oh yeah, the flower book. I'm currently planning on being there, but there's a huge chance of me not showing up. It's hot.

I just keep thinking of the China Hole climb out. Maybe I'll take a swim before starting the climb, if I go.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes, if everyone going could please remind Dan to buy me one of the flower guides. It's kind of home-made looking.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Really enjoyed the day - well, except for the bit when my front rim broke on the descent down Jackass (making the first tracks on our new trail too :(

Glad we got to ride with Ranger John Verhoeven (and especially glad he was there to haul me and my newly converted unicycle back to HQ).

Oh.. and it was only about 85 with a nice breeze in places!

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
8AM at Coe HQ? That's just too early! But Erik said since we had so much fun on our last ride (note: my only Coe ride), we should give something back. That makes sense.

It was an impressive turnout -- nine volunteers showed up for the trail work. Paul, the organizer from ROMP, per protocal, read the rights that we don't have from a piece of paper and gave a speech, "Blah blah blah... You don't have to work harder than you feel like to. Blah blah blah..." Equipped with the new knowledge, we got on our bikes and headed out.

Normally, with a group of this size, I could always find someone of my riding ability, but not on this ride -- everyone was a much better rider than me. They disappeared on Flat Frog Trail within the first couple of minutes. Some sort of competition must have been going on. Charlie, Skyline35, who I later found out is an impressively strong and fluid rider, chose to sweep. I felt bad while going down Middle Ridge knowing that he could have gone much faster if not for me, but in the mean time, his company gave me a sense of security that there would be someone there to pick up the deadbody if called for.

It was my first time going up the notorious Poverty Flat Road. It lived up to its reputation -- I had to push on two occasions. But Charlie cleared it without any problem. Dam, I need to get stronger and better!

We all met up at the top of Jackass Trail. The ranger Eric was there with his truck. It was hot, but the breeze made it tolerable. The guys worked hard at it and the achievements were notable --two major obstacles (downed trees) were cleared from the trail, some sections were rerouted for a better flow, and many unfriendly dead/live branches were pruned.

After the trail work, two small groups set out for two different rides. Chris, Roy, and Paul went to do a longer ride (ended up ~25 miles) that involved more climbing; Patrick, Charlie, Jordan, Erik, I, and ranger John who later joined us took another route: Jackass down -> Poverty Flat back up -> Shafer Corral Trail -> Narrows Trail -> Mahoney Meadows Road -> Lost Sprint Trail -> Chinal Hole Trail -> Mananita Point Road -> HQ. Our ride turned out to be around 21 miles with around 5000' of ascent. (Source: Motionbased and MTBGuru).

As Patrick already reported above, his 3 month old rim suddenly snapped mysteriously that resulted in a spectacular endo while going down Jackass Trail, so he had to take the VIP seat in ranger John's truck back to HQ. I'm almost certain that this unexpected episode will be talked about by everyone on the ride for the years to come -- it does make perfect conversation material among mountain bikers, doesn't it?

Jordan, aka climb_for_fun, impressed everyone when he cleared all the tough climbs including "Mahoney Wall", but he ran out of juice later on China Hole and suffered cramps. He didn't run out of water though because he carried 7 liters of water with him (this is his first time to Coe). On the other hand, I had a different problem -- I ran out of water 3 miles from the HQ. Although I knew Jordan had offered water to everyone, I decided to keep my Coe experience real -- what's riding Coe without having run out of water? So, I just slowly but surely ground my way up China Hole and the fire road. I was definitely not going at a speed to drop a fat fly that started following me while dancing around my head. But when a spider started building her web around my helmet and glasses, now, that was just plain annoying! "I know I'm slow, but would you leave me alone, Miss Spider?" (I'm not very good at taking either hand off the bar, so I had to blow air upward to get rid of her.)

When we got back to HQ, we all took our time cleaning up and chatting to each other (and later the other group also returned). It was a lot of talking -- I think we all got some endorphin rush going. Everyone had a big smile on his face. Oh, that was a great day!

Group shots:
============

Before the ride from HQ. Everyone looked fresh.

Everyone except Chris taking a little break -- the sun just sucks the energy out of you even though you are not riding. From left: Mike, Roy, Erik, Paul, ranger Eric, Charlie, Patrick, Jordan. (I'm no longer sure about everyone's MTBR handle.)

Here is Chris who's missing in the above group shot. That might be the only time he sat down.

Action shots:
==============

Misc:
=====

I'm posting this picture just to show how good Charlie's picture looks (see the top).

Now listen up, these trees have been photographed by Charlie (both horiztonal and vertical)! Nobody should take more pictures of these trees any more. I'm making this annoucement because to my knowledge, it was Charlie who started the trend of photographing puffballs, but it was Dan who got the most praises for his cute puffball picture. Charlie has been out-puffballed! Unfair.

For all the pictures from my camera, visit my gallery.

Oh, I've gotta press the Post button now. I see Charlie is also reading this thread. Maybe he is ready to post his pictures. Gotta beat him to it. :D

·
More pie please
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mudworm said:
I see Charlie is also reading this thread.
Shhhhhhh, I'm at work!

Thanks everyone for coming out!!! Great write-up mw, I'll add more pictures later.

///Charlie

1 - 20 of 43 Posts