Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Henry Coe Ride now on Thursday 10am

Menso and I are doing this ride on Thursday at of Coe HQ at 10am:
Flat Frog, Middle Ride, Poverty Flat and then finally making it up Jackass Trails and biking on to Hat Rock. It's a big loop, so we'll need to keep the pace up, but there are the usual bail-out options (Creek side trail, Shafers, Blue Ridge down, etc)

- J.L.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
JL de Jong said:
It's short notice, but anyone up for a big Henry Coe ride out of headquarters tomorrow?
10am at Coe Headquarters maybe?
I was thinking of Flat Frog, Middle Ride, Poverty Flat and then finally making it up Jackass Trails and biking on to Hat Rock. It's a big loop, so we'll need to keep the pace up, but there are the usual bail-out options (Creek side trail, Shafers, Blue Ridge down, etc)

- J.L.
I'll be there but out at South Coe with a couple buddies. probably going to do a short loop, climb up Coit Rd to Dexter or something and drop in. We'll be out there around 11:45

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did go yet. I'll do it with Menso some day this week. I hope I can even find Black Oak Spring junction with Blue Ridge. Anyone know if and how it's marked?

I was in Coe last week and the creeks were flowing, but didn't have much water yet. It'll need some more heavy rain first.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The top of Black Oak Spring trail is a bit hard to spot, we were out there last year and 2 of us rode right by (including Roy) - luckily Charlie spotted it (and I sprinted ahead and yelled for the 2 fast guys to come back).

I remember that it takes off at the end of a flat section with a big oak tree on the left, just as the road angles left for a short sort-of-steep climb (so the trail is kind of going straight/right, not a sharp right). I think there was a tiny cairn, but I don't remember a sign. Maybe Charlie has a picture of the intersection (he didn't post it, here's the thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=472423 ). The trail itself may have more downed trees (we cleared one but couldn't move a big one, but you could ride around it), and a bit of route finding (there was flagging to help). I don't know if Roy or others went back to work on that tree.

When you hit the canyon bottom, the trail goes up and right, but there's also an old road cut over to the left. Climbing that for about fifty yards then jogging sharply left (again up the old road cut) leads to a jeep/fire road that has traffic, so it's in good shape from there up. Roy said that that climb is not as steep as the original trail. Just make sure to go right when you hit the crest, to the left is the duck hunting club land.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Black Oak Spring Trail

locoyokel said:
The top of Black Oak Spring trail is a bit hard to spot, we were out there last year and 2 of us rode right by (including Roy) - luckily Charlie spotted it (and I sprinted ahead and yelled for the 2 fast guys to come back).

I remember that it takes off at the end of a flat section with a big oak tree on the left, just as the road angles left for a short sort-of-steep climb (so the trail is kind of going straight/right, not a sharp right). I think there was a tiny cairn, but I don't remember a sign. Maybe Charlie has a picture of the intersection (he didn't post it, here's the thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=472423 ). The trail itself may have more downed trees (we cleared one but couldn't move a big one, but you could ride around it), and a bit of route finding (there was flagging to help). I don't know if Roy or others went back to work on that tree.

When you hit the canyon bottom, the trail goes up and right, but there's also an old road cut over to the left. Climbing that for about fifty yards then jogging sharply left (again up the old road cut) leads to a jeep/fire road that has traffic, so it's in good shape from there up. Roy said that that climb is not as steep as the original trail. Just make sure to go right when you hit the crest, to the left is the duck hunting club land.
All good information. We have since worked on this trail. Paul Nam, Chris Voci-Nam and I (along with a couple of people from the springs committee of Coe) went there after trail work on Willow Ridge Trail on June 13th (or whenever that Saturday was) and we cleared many downed trees and made it passable. It should be in pretty good shape. I was last there with Jeff (TahoeBC) and Paul (Bryant, who was with Jeff as I decided to join their ride) on a warm fall outing. As a matter of fact, that was the Henry Coe Fall Circus earlier this year that you, JL, lead. The trail is well marked at the beginning at that point. There are blue flags and it is well carved. The map says it is 1.3 miles from the Jack Ass Trail off of Blue Ridge Road so you might want to take note of your mileage at that point and search for the trail head of the Black Oak Spring Trail at 1.3 miles from Jack Ass Trail.

As for the Jack Ass Trail, there are a lot of trees down there. If your intentions are to clean this brutal trail, you might be disappointed. I was.

Please bring a camera. I love the Coe shots. And, have a fine ride. There is nothing quite like the Rock House Ridge descent. And, finish off with Middle Steer Ridge Trail. You know its worth it.

Roy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I might be tempted to ride with you guys if you can bring the heckler and the ride goes off on Tuesday. Otherwise I am out of town to visit family and everything. Either way have a great ride and a great Christmas if I do not get to see you guys.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yea with the flags it's not to hard to find the trail, now riding up to hat rock is a different matter you will probably lose the trail , just push up the trail when you see hat rock, head right of it and you will intersect the trail on top.

Got down to Coe today after being off the bike for awhile, due to skiing, sickness and the usual short cold day blues I get this time of year. Ended up being a pretty nice day for a ride, rode for a bit with Coe institution Jay. Less than 20 mile ride, but more than enough for me today with fun shots down Tule Pond and Middle Steer.

The Big rain event back in October is still rearing it's ugly face with lots of trail damage thoughtout the park, Kelly Lake Trail is in really bad shape.

Anyway good to be back out again, prolly be spring before I'm back.

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Yea with the flags it's not to hard to find the trail, now riding up to hat rock is a different matter you will probably lose the trail , just push up the trail when you see hat rock, head right of it and you will intersect the trail on top.

Got down to Coe today after being off the bike for awhile, due to skiing, sickness and the usual short cold day blues I get this time of year. Ended up being a pretty nice day for a ride, rode for a bit with Coe institution Jay. Less than 20 mile ride, but more than enough for me today with fun shots down Tule Pond and Middle Steer.

The Big rain event back in October is still rearing it's ugly face with lots of trail damage thoughtout the park, Kelly Lake Trail is in really bad shape.

Anyway good to be back out again, prolly be spring before I'm back.
Last time I was at Hat Rock I noticed a peculiar imitation of Hat Rock in the foreground. I was lucky enough to photograph it but I was so scared the picture came out a bit blurry.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
This is indeed a frighting photo Roy, appears the spandex has caused some shrinkage.

So whatcha driving these days Roy? Jay was bummed to hear your car was no more.

Did you by chance get a photo of the bones someone arranged on the road between Tule and Serpentine?

Also whoever left that little card at the top of Anza Jackson, don't you know what happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas?

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
The Car & The Bones

TahoeBC said:
So whatcha driving these days Roy? Jay was bummed to hear your car was no more.
Did you by chance get a photo of the bones someone arranged on the road between Tule and Serpentine?
Also whoever left that little card at the top of Anza Jackson, don't you know what happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas?
I'm driving a Chevy Cobalt. It is only temporary as it is the rental I was loaned by the insurance company. Very distasteful. Plus, it kills a pretty cool word: cobalt.

I will be getting a settlement soon as the paperwork is on their end and within a week a check will be coming my way. I am pretty happy with what I got as it is closer to what Fast Eddie suggested the car might be worth. Thanks going out to Eddie with his suggestion, "don't let them low-ball you". I had sent them a ton of receipts I had collected over the period of time I owned it. I was very meticulous in my record keeping with that car and saved almost all the receipts. I only just recently closed the book on it, entering the last page of 1963 Plymouth Valiant Convertible history. I will be on the look-out for another slant 6 convertible in the years of 1963 to 1966, Dodge Dart or Plymouth Valiant. If anyone sees one, let me know where it is. I feel I should be able to get a pretty nice one with my settlement.

As for the bones, that was from the artistic mind of mudworm. You can find the story here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=574760. Who knows how long the bone artwork will be there? I once spelled out my name in rocks at the junction of County Line Road and Turkey Pond Trail. It remained there for 6 months! I have a series of pictures.

Roy.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Glad to hear your getting treated fairly Roy, are they paying you more than the original sticker price of $2,340. ;)

Check out this original print ad for the car.
http://www.adclassix.com/ads/63plymouthvaliantconv.htm

Not sure how I missed Mudworm's post, nice work girl, I like it.

Sorry for the thread drift J.L, may I offer you up a view of Rock House Ridge, one of the top descents in Coe, have fun!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.