Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son volunteered with his Boy Scout troop to help with parking control for the Henry Coe SP Backcountry Weekend

Our shift was on Sunday afternoon, so we were left with nothing to do but ride, fish and eat on Saturday. Good times ensued. The park is most beautiful at this time of year. We climbed west up County Line Road from Oristemba Corral to Mississippi lake before the throngs of fishermen and backpackers for a few hours alone with Nick, myself, the lake, the flowers and the elusive fish.

Kudos to Nick (10yo) for the 1500' vertical, 10-12 mile ride over a period of about 7 hours including fishing.

Nick on Mississippi Lake Trail

Flower on Mississippi Lake Trail

Evil Screaming Flower

We waited out one short squall under some trees, trying in vain to catch fish.

Bear Mountain Road actually has a "good side"; looking North from near Mississippi Lake.

On the way back down Co. Line Rd, looking East

A zoomed close-up of our camp down at Oristemba Corral barely visible in the pano above

Plim and Larry rode in to meet up with their gear that I hauled in my truck, then rode out on Sunday.

The view from our tent site was only so-so, looking North into Oristemba Wilderness.​

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm bummed I missed it this year, last year was perfect weather though. We rode out to Pacheco Falls and camped there so we could relax in the rock pools during the day while it was hot as heck. I love Coe, I have been riding out there for the better part of 15-years and just barely scratched the surface. It looks like you guys had a great time!

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Thanks again for hauling my gear around, Fast Eddy. The weekend was great. Perhaps the best part was the sandwich waiting in my refrigerator for me to eat when I got home.

(That sandwich was going to be my dinner Saturday night. But I forgot to pack it. I'm a dumbass. Luckily we were able to scrape enough food together for a pretty good dinner.)

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Great Time!

Nice Pics, Fast Eddy. Nick is a great kid - just like the son I'd love to have.

You were a great host. Thanks for the wonderful offer on the camping gear portage. It was a rare treat. I'm surprised more riders didn't take you up on this great offer. So many people just don't get the beauty and way out wilderness spirit of Henry Coe.

I had a wonderful time on this trip and it will go down as one of my favorite and more memorable rides. The rain cleared up by late Saturday and made for a great trip. The flowers were in full bloom and the streams were rideable.

I've got a lot of great pictures from Plim's and my 45 mile Tour de Henry Coe epic, via what seems now like the hardest possible route, and will be posting them later when I get some time to sort through them all. Here's a couple pictures at the Orestimba Corral camp ground for now.

1. Didn't I see this bike before? And why is it always rubber side up?
2. Fast Eddy on my Heckler

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
NICE....very nice. Can hardly wait till this Friday...will be making a "mini" excursion into the lakes there myself. I'll see if I can "excercise" a few of those fish you missed ;)

Fast Eddy said:
My son volunteered with his Boy Scout troop to help with parking control for the Henry Coe SP Backcountry Weekend

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.