Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It was a great event, and they need help. I was glad to meet Mike and Phil from this thread. I hope to meet more of you as this opportunity grows.

Most of the maintenance done was cleaning up bikes, fixing flat tires, and general maintenance. As you can see from the photos, they could use some donations for bike stands, tools, and other equipment. They had 1 bike stand, luckily my coworker and I brought ours from home.

One of the coolest things happening was all the students and NICA kids at the event. One kid was doing a service project for the national honor society, another kid doing it for his eagle project, and another student doing the same from Brophy. One of the main volunteers, Dean, is a NICA coach for his High School. It's so cool to see people like Dean, who really care about the cycling community - many of the bicycle repairs for this organization come from his pocketbook.

I learned that the people they are helping are true refugees, some of the people were just pulled from the rubble and sent here. Many of them have only ever lived in refugee camps, moving from place to place, trying to survive. These people are given the gift of a lifetime, flown to the US, and into different cities that have agreed to help them. They don’t know the language, and are given 90 to 120 days to assimilate into society, find jobs, and establish themselves and their families. Mike Sullivan the agency director told us a story of them setting up a family in their apartment, giving them the basic appliances, fridge, coffee maker, microwave and TV (TV is important for them to learn the language). They gave the family bicycles, and the oldest son was talking with the dad, who initially refused to accept the bikes, the son was negotiating with the dad about something. Eventually the dad agreed to let his son of the bike, turns out, the son was convincing this dad that he would learn to ride the bike. Mike went out and help teach this teenager how to ride. A few weeks later when Mike went back to set up another family, that same kid came riding by like a pro, and speaking English thanking Mike for helping them.

There are countless other stories like this one, hopefully we can help spread some cheer and help these people establish themselves and get back on their feet.

Here is a list of things they need to help repair bikes.
Bike Repair stands
Bike related tools
Helmets
Locks
Cleaning supplies and equipment
Spare tubes
Patch kits
Tires
Brake cables and housing
Shifter cables and housing
Brake pads
Seats
Grips
Used old bikes

Mechanics willing to help fix the bikes.
People willing to help deliver the bikes.
Wtap.org website can help you find things you can help with.

I plan on attending as many of these events as I can. They will be held once a month.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Next three events are scheduled. I've signed up for all 3.

September 12 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm

October 10 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm

November 14 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is your weekly reminder. Next Thursday Sept 12th is the next event.
If you have any used bikes, or parts to donate, or your time, WTAP needs the help.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Last nights activity was great. We repaired 25 bikes!

Mike was there, and a couple people joined me from PIVOT. It was awesome, some of my coworkers donated bikes, so I was able to help deliver 4 bikes, and a bunch of helmets and tools. It was a great event.

You can follow WTAP.org on their Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/welcometoamericaproject/

I'm happy I found this place, and it feels good to give back to the community.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Howdy everyone.

Just a friendly reminder that this Thursday - October 10th, is the next service opportunity.

Come help us clean up some bikes, and have a good time.

I hope to see you there!

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Last month we had a good number show up to help repair bikes! We will need some extra help this coming week, as they have plenty of bikes in need of repair.

If you have a used bike that you want to donate, please join us Thursday November 11th.
If you have basic to advanced mechanic skills, we need your help!

Tempe, AZ 85281

Time: 6:30 to 8, sometimes 8:30 pm

Some of us meet at Boulders on Broadway for some dinner before heading over there. Come by and say hello there if you'd like.
Thanks!
Daniel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I'll miss the wrenching event this week. I looked over some of the bikes on Friday, and you should stay busy! It is so awesome that the bike community is getting out to help at WTAP - a worthy cause. Hope to catch you next month!

Mike

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry I'll miss the wrenching event this week. I looked over some of the bikes on Friday, and you should stay busy! It is so awesome that the bike community is getting out to help at WTAP - a worthy cause. Hope to catch you next month!

Mike
Thanks Mike!

We were busy. It was also the first time I dismantled bikes to salvage the parts, as the frames were toast.

If anyone is interested in helping they could use some donation of parts. The main thing needed is bulk shift and brake cables - the associated housing, with cable ends and ferrules. Lubricants like Tri-Flow, and others would be welcomed as well.

The program director told me he was so happy last month he had a couple of individuals ask for bikes. He said they called saying, if they could get them a bike, then they could accept a job offer. That made me happy that one of the bikes we worked on, helped someone find a job!

Next month we should be busy as well. Next event is December 12th.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Sorry I didn't post an earlier heads up!

Today is the day for the next service project at WTAP.org

It looks like the second Thursday of every month this activity will be happening so, if you want to do something good for others, sign up.

I hope to see you there!

Daniel

·
4,462 Posts
Going to leave this one open until the Corona threat passes. if the opie want's it closed or unstickied just shoot me a message in my inbox.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Going to leave this one open until the Corona threat passes. if the opie want's it closed or unstickied just shoot me a message in my inbox.
Thanks! This is on pause until the outbreak clears up. I believe the plan is back in June, and I'll update once I get confirmation.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just a quick update. https://wtap.org/ is still open and looking for help and donations. I recently went and picked up 12 bikes to repair. We held a repair night for the employees where I work, and we fixed all 12 bikes and dropped them off today.

You can contact them and do the same, they are looking for donations for bike parts if you have them too. They need 26" Schrader Tubes, and tires. If you have a working old bike collecting dusts, this is the place to donate them to. It will change the life for those who receive them, giving them new freedoms to find jobs, and go shopping.

If you have questions about this let me know by commenting here, or sending me a PM.
Daniel

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Howdy all.

If you happen to have extra brake housing - cable brake housing, WTAP could use that donated to them.

Also, any 26" tire and tube would be appreciated by them.

Thanks!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts