Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow Arizona cyclists!

The Welcome to America project is hosting a meeting this August 22nd, to help gather used bikes, repair them so they are ready to be given to refugees arriving in Phoenix.

You can read more about the organization here - https://www.wtap.org/

Here is the basic information I have regarding this opportunity.

August 22nd, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Tempe, AZ 85281

Notes from the organizer:
Please join us at our warehouse to clean and repair bicycles that will be shared with newly arrived refugees. Bikes Mean greater freedom to the newly freed. Prior bike repair experience not required. We will have tools ready and instructors available.

I plan on attending, and I hope to see many of my cycling friends there.
Daniel

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's show him what's up by being kind and helpful to our fellow man. Refugees are people too, and couldn't we all afford to give something, time, old parts, or even new items.

See you in a few weeks!

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this post too political for this forum?

I just received some negative props - the first negative props I've received. So, now I'm curious if I've over stepped my boundaries as a Mountain Biker, and user for this site.

If this post was for helping our fellow man, and didn't use the word refugee would that have changed people's mindset to then help?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,224 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that I could guess the username of at least one person who gave you negative rep.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be willing to bet that I could guess the username of at least one person who gave you negative rep.
It wasn't from anyone who previously posted in this column, which is what surprised me.

Hopefully a number of people join me that evening.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Don't worry about the negative reoccurring thing...jackarses will just be jackarses...let them wallow in their misery.
Thank you for putting the effort in to help people out.
DC

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lol...I have no idea how the 'reoccurring' part got put in that last post...

....just don't worry about the negative rep....they're just insecure.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
Nice one Dan! I already donated my used bits and pieces and an older bike to BICAS here in Tucson. Another worthy cause, but centered more on helping the homeless here.

If there's anyone in the Old Pueblo looking for somewhere to help out, google BICAS. They are a very cool group and also do some very good work.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
The easy thing to do with this thread would be to close it and consign it to the re-cycle bin.

However, it is promoting an event that is trying to bring community together to help less fortunate people.

It would be counter to the purpose of these boards to NOT continue to allow the spread of positive information that helps others.

Therefore a lot of posts have been deleted and the thread remains open. If personal attacks re-start then suspensions until after 22nd August will be handed out.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
Thanks to the mods for keeping this alive. At last some light at the end of the tunnel. Humanity and kindness to those less fortunate can never be a bad thing.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your positive support!

I've got 3 or 4 friends joining me. Let me know if you decide to come help. You can also just drop off goods and donations at this time.

I hope to see you next Thursday.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Daniel. I signed up to work on bikes on the 22nd. Name is Mike - I'll see you there! Thanks for posting this.
Thanks Mike!

I'll be the bald guy with a beard, and a PIVOT T-Shirt on.

·
Paterfamilias
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi. Our schedules changed and my wife and I will be attending. See you Tonight. Keep up the good work.
Awesome! I believe there will be multiple events in the future too, so hopefully we can all continue to help where we can.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts