Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went riding this weekend at Raccoon Mtn. in Chattanooga, TN and on the last 2 miles section I got a flat on the front. I carry a tire patch kit but no pump or no spare tubes (they're on my "things to get" list, which grows faster than my paycheck). I started my hike back on the road nearby and a few seconds later a guy pulled over and asked if I needed help. I explained and he got his pump and we patched the tube up. After we pumped up the tire we noticed it was still leaking. In a slight rush (I had to be in Atlanta for a wedding that evening), he gave me his spare tube and we parted ways.

This has happened to me before close to the same spot. Last time about 10 people with mountain bikes passed me and no one stopped to help. Leaving out all the stuff like "well they probably didn't have room or time," or "well if it happened once you should've been prepared for the next time," it sucks when no one stops to help you. The sad part about this is that half an hour earlier I had passed a guy working on his bike. I didn't stop and ask if he needed help. I looked the other way and passed him.

My point in all this is that we all need help at some, on the trail or off, and it absolutely sucks when no will give us a hand. Hopefully, when we do get helped, even by complete strangers, it'll open our eyes enough that when we see someone in need of help we will stop and lend a hand, or a spare tube.

Peace,

Cordell

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
I've stopped to help people before and actually had them act rather rude towards me. "I don't need your help!"

I guess everyone is different. Give a little and hopefully someday down the road you'll get yours in return. Good karma.. On our bikes we need it.

·
EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
520 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I've stopped to help people before and actually had them act rather rude towards me. "I don't need your help!"... Good karma.. On our bikes we need it.
when I see a rider doing a repair I will generally offer assistance only if certain criteria is met:
- rider may be injured
- rider is alone
- rider is more than 3 miles from trailhead
- daylight is fading

otherwise, I try not to insert myself into other people's space - if they're less than a few miles from the trailhead I figure they can walk, next time maybe they'll remember to bring a tube

·
Registered
118 Posts
i generally will always stop for someone, at least just to make sure they're fine. if they need a tube and i've got more than one extra i'm good to loan it out assuming I have no patch, 4 bucks isn't a difference if I stay home from lunch but it can definitely help out their day.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Ask if people need help if you desire, but don't ever expect people to offer it.

Bring what you need to support your own ride. That is the bottom line. No excuses. No apologies.
"

Took the words right out of my mouth, although I'd add that one shouldn't be offended if somebody turns down an offer of assistance, even if they are rude. Just ride on and get over it...

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
prsman27 said:
I went riding this weekend at Raccoon Mtn. in Chattanooga, TN and on the last 2 miles section I got a flat on the front. I carry a tire patch kit but no pump or no spare tubes (they're on my "things to get" list, which grows faster than my paycheck). I started my hike back on the road nearby and a few seconds later a guy pulled over and asked if I needed help. I explained and he got his pump and we patched the tube up. After we pumped up the tire we noticed it was still leaking. In a slight rush (I had to be in Atlanta for a wedding that evening), he gave me his spare tube and we parted ways.

This has happened to me before close to the same spot. Last time about 10 people with mountain bikes passed me and no one stopped to help. Leaving out all the stuff like "well they probably didn't have room or time," or "well if it happened once you should've been prepared for the next time," it sucks when no one stops to help you. The sad part about this is that half an hour earlier I had passed a guy working on his bike. I didn't stop and ask if he needed help. I looked the other way and passed him.

My point in all this is that we all need help at some, on the trail or off, and it absolutely sucks when no will give us a hand. Hopefully, when we do get helped, even by complete strangers, it'll open our eyes enough that when we see someone in need of help we will stop and lend a hand, or a spare tube.

Peace,

Cordell
You better get a little hand pump or something. It's kinda funny that you carry a patch kit with you but no kind of inflation tool haha. Anyways, I agree, it's nice to help people but I only generally do it if it looks like they actually need it.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
prsman27 said:
This has happened to me before close to the same spot.
Your story brings some points to mind...

1) Maybe you should buy a pump and a tube. If you can afford gas to the trailhead, you can afford a pump and a tube.

2) Why do you carry a patch kit if you have no way to pump your tire up once it's patched?

3) What kind of help would you have offered this other guy, when you are totally unprepared yourself? You could have stopped and asked him if he needed moral support, I guess.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Elno Lewis said:
To me its like the ship on the sea thang. You always ask. If they want it, fine. if not, fine.

What you put out there always seems to come back to you.
I agree. Though, I always ask "Is everything OK?" instead of "Need help?", as offering help may sound patronizing. If the other rider(hiker, motorcyclist - it happened too) does need help, I stop for as long as it takes.
Ability to help others make me feel strong - what may be more pleasant for an old person? :)
So I carry tools, first aid kit and more water than I need for myself - that is, am well prepared for emergency situation on a trail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.