Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new neighbor from Tennessee dropped in Saturday to ask about a first bike purchase. By Sunday, he had his first good bike ever and we set him up with alll the goodies. Much stoke and fitness is here to come.
Said Trailhead and Calabazas didn't really help him. Summit and Mikes Bikes were good to him and he ended up buying this Trek at Summit in Los Gatos.
Be the neighborhood bike expert in your block. Many people want to get in to it but do not know how to even start.

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was riding every day this week. Then today he sent me this. He hit his goal 1 month ahead of schedule. bike to work!! Yellow Green Text Atmosphere White

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice.

I took a guy on his first mtb ride last Sunday. Didn’t know him but he asked for help for his first ride in an online meetup group and got not response. So I said ok, I’ll help.

His post said he used to ride road “forever”. I was prepared to get totally dropped (I am slow af, and fear roadies and xc runners).

We start on the trail and he seems a bit out of shape, esp for roadie. That’s ok.

but I ask him why he wants to mtb instead of road.

Him: Road biking has too many uphills, so thought I’d try mtbing.

Me: 😶

Made me look up later “forever” in the dictionary to make sure I hadn’t been using the word wrong all these years.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
All this text in quotes, ugh. I don't know. It seems awfully complicated for "reply with quote."

Awesome news, but I'm curious about one thing.

Said Trailhead and Calabazas didn't really help him. Summit and Mikes Bikes were good to him
Many people want to get in to it but do not know how to even start.
What were his experience in terms of what help he wanted? What did Trailhead and Calabazas offer that was not helpful. What did Summit and Mike's Bikes offer that was helpful? Did one go "above and beyond" or something else? I'm genuinely curious. I wouldn't know what to offer a newbie, other than from my own experiences. It, however, may not be what they are looking for.

Why'd you hook him up with that bike? It seems limited. It looks like a hybrid bike, why that choice?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this text in quotes, ugh. I don't know. It seems awfully complicated for "reply with quote."

Awesome news, but I'm curious about one thing.

What were his experience in terms of what help he wanted? What did Trailhead and Calabazas offer that was not helpful. What did Summit and Mike's Bikes offer that was helpful? Did one go "above and beyond" or something else? I'm genuinely curious. I wouldn't know what to offer a newbie, other than from my own experiences. It, however, may not be what they are looking for.

Why'd you hook him up with that bike? It seems limited. It looks like a hybrid bike, why that choice?
You have a lot of questions huh? :) I'll make you sorry you asked with a long read.

So the guy moved in next door a month ago, solo young dude with 3 dogs, from Tennessee. I talked to him right away and asked, "You must be some kind of genius to move in to the Bay Area and $5k/month rent for this **** house." His mom who helped him move said he was a rocket scientist and that made sense.

So he said he wanted to ride to work and had $500 to spend. So we talked for an hour and settled on a $500-$700 mountain bike or hybrid bike so he could do some light trail riding.

He went to four bike shops. First shop, the Trailhead guy he said didn't seem interested in talking to him and showed him a $1600 mountain bike. I think they don't have a lot in this his price arena. Calabazas was not too accommodating too and showed him a decent KHS bike. Those are the shops I recommended.

He then went Summit and Mikes Bikes in Los Gatos. They said they were very helpful and they showed him bikes in his target, now under $800. He wanted a Trek Dual-Sport and some Specialized Bike. The Dual Sport https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ual-sport/dual-sport-2/p/23067/?colorCode=red had a crappy fork that I told him would not do much.

He ended up with this bike and he is so stoked. I gave $300 worth of **** with full LED lights and a Mips helmet. All the tools. And he got a $100 lock. Anyway, that's the story.

This is in my FB and Lars is fully aware and said he'll fix the issue. (but itwasn't a great fit since they're very enthusiast driven). At Mikes Bikes, a pro level racer, Ben Villafane helped him and my neighbor said he was so patient and humble.

Anyway, that is the scoop. Guy is super nerdy, super stoked, has three amazing dogs and I know we will trail ride this year! He said he absolutely loves the area and his asthma and allergies disappeared. He is exploring every park in the hills.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
You have a lot of questions huh? :) I'll make you sorry you asked with a long read.
I read fast. :) A few seconds to read all this.

So the guy moved in next door a month ago, solo young dude with 3 dogs, from Tennessee. I talked to him right away and asked, "You must be some kind of genius to move in to the Bay Area and $5k/month rent for this **** house." His mom who helped him move said he was a rocket scientist and that made sense.

So he said he wanted to ride to work and had $500 to spend. So we talked for an hour and settled on a $500-$700 mountain bike or hybrid bike so he could do some light trail riding.

He went to four bike shops. First shop, the Trailhead guy he said didn't seem interested in talking to him and showed him a $1600 mountain bike. I think they don't have a lot in this his price arena. Calabazas was not too accommodating too and showed him a decent KHS bike. Those are the shops I recommended.

He then went Summit and Mikes Bikes in Los Gatos. They said they were very helpful and they showed him bikes in his target, now under $800. He wanted a Trek Dual-Sport and some Specialized Bike. The Dual Sport https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ual-sport/dual-sport-2/p/23067/?colorCode=red had a crappy fork that I told him would not do much.

He ended up with this bike and he is so stoked. I gave $300 worth of **** with full LED lights and a Mips helmet. All the tools. And he got a $100 lock. Anyway, that's the story.

This is in my FB and Lars is fully aware and said he'll fix the issue. (but itwasn't a great fit since they're very enthusiast driven). At Mikes Bikes, a pro level racer, Ben Villafane helped him and my neighbor said he was so patient and humble.

Anyway, that is the scoop. Guy is super nerdy, super stoked, has three amazing dogs and I know we will trail ride this year! He said he absolutely loves the area and his asthma and allergies disappeared. He is exploring every park in the hills.
Great story! I can see that about Trailhead, some of the sales folks are not all that experienced as well. Ben Villafane, bonus points there. It sounds like Summit did something better, and will get a next level sale next year when he upgrades. It sounds like he has a healthy income and can spend money in your neighborhood.

My only advice would've been to make sure the bike takes at least 45c tires. Too bad he's 8-speed though, with Altus stuff. I do have a crapton of 9-speed stuff, if he needs something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.