Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
six foot sloth said:
Is it ok for me to shave down the read drop out so that I can create a chain tensioner. Then replace is with a bolt in stead of a skewer. I am converting my 29r into a single speed
If it were me and my bike, I wouldn't do it. Running a tensioner like the Surly Singleator is not the end of the world. A better alternative if you're willing to spring for a new wheel is a rear wheel built around a White Industries Eno eccentric hub. There are also eccentric bottom brackets like forward component's makes, although I don't have any first hand experience of them I still think I would go with the ENO hub, it's a dandy product.

·
Shirtless Singlespeeder
506 Posts
six foot sloth said:
Is it ok for me to shave down the read drop out so that I can create a chain tensioner. Then replace is with a bolt in stead of a skewer. I am converting my 29r into a single speed
Just run a slightly smaller bolt through the dérailleur hangar hole (from the inside), and secure your homebrew tensioner on the hangar instead. You may have to shave the head of the bolt down to clear the sprocket, but mine worked fine..pm me if you want a better picture than this from the inside of the hangar
View attachment 512223

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.