Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
spanish mtb'er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, friends!
Firstly say: my english is dangerous... it's so poor... Sorry for that.

Well, i recently buy an Z150 drop off fork in my country (i'm spanish) and i put it on my XC-all mountain Marin East Peak. The question is that:
The head tube lengt was 17cm (sorry i don't know how inches..) and my bike needs 19cm for the stem. Wich i'm so :madman: i'd put on my bike using a DH stem:

But i had a problem. The stem has only one bolt (the stem it's for an 888 double crown), also is most powerful than my other rally stem and had no flex. People say thats dangerous for make All Mountain. The bolts was previously changed for 10.4 type, more harder than a often used on a mtb...
What do you think about?

Some photos of my bike:

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
I cant comment, I'm not a freerider (althougfh it looks fun and I love the bikes) ...and thats looks sorta like a lite AM/FR bike, you might want to get some more opinions - personally, I'm not sure I would be doing anything more then 5 foot drops on that stem. If your just doing XC though you prolly be ok.

·
spanish mtb'er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jejeje, freerider..... I'm not freerider, only does enduro.... but enduro light... almost i have doing enduro /all mountain for 9 months... i'm so bad. The problem i has theres the probably broke of the stem... only that. Sorry i don't jump any drop... it's to early for this. I'm 31and i need more time to learn...

·
spanish mtb'er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jajajaja! i'm from spain, in the east cost, at mediterranean zone. We've 18º Celsius media at year... nicely site to mtbiking.
Jeff, sorry, i'm so old to learn jumping... i've house, wife, children... i need to maintenance my job and i can't crash my body. Perhaps in the future i will do DH, but lightly..
Thedon, i write this post for the same. Some people say it's dangerous for my life this stem. It's make to a 888 fork... but the problem was my head tube so sorther...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
hsbikes said:
Jajajaja! i'm from spain, in the east cost, at mediterranean zone. We've 18º Celsius media at year... nicely site to mtbiking.
Jeff, sorry, i'm so old to learn jumping... i've house, wife, children... i need to maintenance my job and i can't crash my body. Perhaps in the future i will do DH, but lightly..
Thedon, i write this post for the same. Some people say it's dangerous for my life this stem. It's make to a 888 fork... but the problem was my head tube so sorther...
Pense que eras latino... pidele a Marzocchi un Steerer Tube nuevo no creo que cueste mucho.

·
spanish mtb'er
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grazie Luigi. I think there's a problem with the steerer tube. Marzo let it onto the head heating the head to insert the tubes (steerer and stanchions, isn't it?) Then freeze all and it's all ok. Well, if i try to replace the steerer tube, i do it with heavy pressing machine and put the new tube with the same system. I hope my expressions are correctly... sorry if not. I haven't got the same system to heat the head for this, and also i think i should broke something...
The new tube it's around 25€ (near 35$) but it's so dangerous trying to replace the tube... you sould broke the head....

·
Why not?
124 Posts
Look man like everyone here has said you should be fine as long as you dont go over the top. as long as your not dirtjumping or crazy DH youll be fine. hell look at some of the stock stems on any of the big three bike makers and youll see they have less bolts then yours. So Dont Worry, RIDE ON BROTHER!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Make sure it's not a loose stem rotating on the tube. The one you have does not look like it has much clamping area.

If the steerer tube is loose, replace the complete crown assembly.

don't worry about jumping, I ride all mountain and don't huck or do anything to dangereouse. I have neck/back injuries from prior crashes. I want to enjoy life riding and not from a wheel chair. I

·
Registered
702 Posts
short steerer tube

I read an older thread that said Marzocchi will replace your steerer once.Also Danger Boy makes some low profile stems.I think the one I saw was 28.6mm stack height.So if you got just 28.3mm of steerer that would work.Honestly,I wouldn't feel safe with your current setup.

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
hsbikes said:
Hi, friends!
Firstly say: my english is dangerous... it's so poor... Sorry for that.

Well, i recently buy an Z150 drop off fork in my country (i'm spanish) and i put it on my XC-all mountain Marin East Peak. The question is that:
The head tube lengt was 17cm (sorry i don't know how inches..) and my bike needs 19cm for the stem. Wich i'm so :madman: i'd put on my bike using a DH stem:

But i had a problem. The stem has only one bolt (the stem it's for an 888 double crown), also is most powerful than my other rally stem and had no flex. People say thats dangerous for make All Mountain. The bolts was previously changed for 10.4 type, more harder than a often used on a mtb...
What do you think about?

Some photos of my bike:

So long as you have good spacers to keep it from developing play, I thing it would be fine for AM riding. Just don't get too crazy on it. I'd trust that stem more than I'd trust a 100mm Thompson.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.