Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
bmallen11 said:
what does XC, allmoutian, and mountian cross really mean?
I would say, XC is more of an endurance type of riding, more pedaling, longer distance, cute little spandex....where as all mountain is a little more freeride-ish. Some drops, jumps....maybe mild DH. Also...I thought mtn cross was a race down the mtn, where you dice with other riders...kind of like DH...only like the other guy said, on a track like course, wide enough for passing.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,281 Posts
I think that now there's a lot of different names for riding styles, and sometimes the line between them is very vague.

As Shiggy said, mountaincross is a short but intensive race with 4 riders. It's also refered to (as far as I know) as 4X.

XC tends to be more long distances and, not that difficult sections, but very much endurance oriented.

AllMountain (aka trails, enduro) is supposed to be harder terrain, lots of climbing and descents, varied terrain.

But it's not black and white.

Usually, a XC bike would be lighter, faster, while an All Mountain bike will have more travel (the amount of distance that the wheel absorbs hits, in All Mountain the most common travel is 4" to 6"). 4X would be more sturdier frames, different geometry.

Well, JMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.