Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I messed up my hub in a race on Sunday worse than I thought. The axle somehow is pushed further towards the non drive side than it should be so that the der. hanger nut rubs on the cassette. I know its the wheel because I stuck another wheel in the frame and it wasn't even close to rubbing. I can't find any info on the hub on how to move the axle back, does anyone know how?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It may not be a problem

Burger said:
So I messed up my hub in a race on Sunday worse than I thought. The axle somehow is pushed further towards the non drive side than it should be so that the der. hanger nut rubs on the cassette. I know its the wheel because I stuck another wheel in the frame and it wasn't even close to rubbing. I can't find any info on the hub on how to move the axle back, does anyone know how?
I had a set built with WTB laserdiscs from oddsandendos. The problem I encountered is identical. The soln was to remove the axle cap on the drive side and put a small spacer in to essentially extend the axle length.

I at first thought it was a bent deraileur hanger. Then I tried my old wheelset and it was fine. Worth a try. :rolleyes:

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Are you talking about the new "American Classic" wtb laserdisc lite hubs, or the old wtb laserdisc? Just wondering- I was looking at buying a wheelset with those new hubs from oddsandendos, but I have not recieved a reply to my emails yet. Would you recommend some other hubs(otyher than CK), or are you satisfied?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
Are you talking about the new "American Classic" wtb laserdisc lite hubs, or the old wtb laserdisc? Just wondering- I was looking at buying a wheelset with those new hubs from oddsandendos, but I have not recieved a reply to my emails yet. Would you recommend some other hubs(otyher than CK), or are you satisfied?
Mike is a great guy, but you will have more succes by calling him as he doesn't get much free time to email:)
Hope makes nice durable hubs, but they aren't light like the WTB's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It worked fine until Sunday...

This wheel worked fine until Sunday where a muddy race tore my der. hanger in half so I thought maybe I pushed the axle out a little on the non drive side. How do you get the axle cap off of the drive side? Is it under that rubber cover inside the freehub body? It looks like I could unscrew the non drive side with a cone wrench and thread the axle further in... but I have to get the cone wrenches today so I'm not sure if this will work. I also had this wheel build by odds and endos and I'm probably going to have to send it back since when the axle moved it cause my chain to go into the drive side spokes mangling them and throwing the wheel way out of true. I trued it but the spokes are going to need replacing.

sircrashalot said:
I had a set built with WTB laserdiscs from oddsandendos. The problem I encountered is identical. The soln was to remove the axle cap on the drive side and put a small spacer in to essentially extend the axle length.

I at first thought it was a bent deraileur hanger. Then I tried my old wheelset and it was fine. Worth a try. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Which hubs...

Burger said:
This wheel worked fine until Sunday where a muddy race tore my der. hanger in half so I thought maybe I pushed the axle out a little on the non drive side. How do you get the axle cap off of the drive side? Is it under that rubber cover inside the freehub body? It looks like I could unscrew the non drive side with a cone wrench and thread the axle further in... but I have to get the cone wrenches today so I'm not sure if this will work. I also had this wheel build by odds and endos and I'm probably going to have to send it back since when the axle moved it cause my chain to go into the drive side spokes mangling them and throwing the wheel way out of true. I trued it but the spokes are going to need replacing.
If you have the laserdisc lites, they are the American Classic hubs You can go to that website and download the entire overhaul instructions there.

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Crash guarantee...

Burger said:
Mike has a crash guarantee. If you ruin the wheels , he rebuilds them at parts cost. Good deal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they are laserdics lites...

They are the LD lites but it looks a little different then the hub they have in the picture. I think I'll just try pulling it apart and screwing the axle further in, I can see the threads sticking out right now so I'll give it a try. I'll probably send the wheel back to Mike at the end of this month to get it fixed

sircrashalot said:
If you have the laserdisc lites, they are the American Classic hubs You can go to that website and download the entire overhaul instructions there.

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What size?

Is there any special type of washer you have to use to space the axle out or can you just use anything that fits around the axle and inside the hubshell? What type of washer did you use?

sircrashalot said:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Talk to Mike Garcia...

Burger said:
Is there any special type of washer you have to use to space the axle out or can you just use anything that fits around the axle and inside the hubshell? What type of washer did you use?
I asked Mike about the problem and he sent me two different sizes to try. I don't remember the exact size, but they were not that thick (.5 mm?). The inside diameter was just big enough to fit around the axle. The outside dia was small enough not to interfere with the cassette or hub.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried that,

Yep, spoke to Mike and he was going to send me a couple but it's been a week and I haven't gotten anything and I can't get ahold of him today. Just was hoping to get the bike back together as soon as possible.

sircrashalot said:
I asked Mike about the problem and he sent me two different sizes to try. I don't remember the exact size, but they were not that thick (.5 mm?). The inside diameter was just big enough to fit around the axle. The outside dia was small enough not to interfere with the cassette or hub.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Burger said:
Yep, spoke to Mike and he was going to send me a couple but it's been a week and I haven't gotten anything and I can't get ahold of him today. Just was hoping to get the bike back together as soon as possible.
Now that I am at home, I looked at the paperwork he sent. He gave me two washers, one 0.25mm and one 0.5mm. Just ensure it is big enough to get around the axle .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.