Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a new fatbike that will see time as a winter commuter, snow trail use, resort snow use, hopefully some snow races, and occasional rocky use. I am 160-170lbs or 75kg. I have never broken a rim that didn't deserve it and have only broken 1 spoke in years and years of riding.

So I am torn between building up a pair of HED Big Deal laced to DT 350 Big Ride because they will be about 1700g.

Or I could build up a pair of Nextie Xiphias with DT 350 or Onyx hubs.
DT will weigh about 1850g and cost $400 less than the HED build.
The Onyx will weigh in at 2100g and cost $250 less than the HED build and $150 more than the Nextie DT build.

Are the the HED Big Deal rims still having issues breaking and has HED's CS gotten any better than the horror stories on here from the past?

How do the Nexties compare as they are also single wall but with about 80g more carbon on them?

Should I just stick with DT as they are light and reliable or go for the heavy sex appeal?

Please help as I am frozen with indecisionitus

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was exactly in the same situation. originally I was between the LB and BHD but instead ordered the Nexties with DT swiss hubs. I'm also in the 165 lb neighborhood but my trails are mostly rooted and filled with chunks of side walk. definitely not worth $400 more (TO ME) for few grams. unfortunately cant speak for the Nexties yet since I just ordered them and I will likely have them in about 6 weeks.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,427 Posts
I'd avoid HED like they'd done unspeakable things to your favorite pet. Every single pair I've built (at least a dozen in the last year or two) has been an exercise in WTF. Soooo not worth the money.

Haven't worked with Nextie, but would assume similarly reliable results as other Chinese consumer direct brands. I've been quite happy with Light Bicycles stuff, FWIW.

DT vs Onyx, both have performed wonderfully for my customers, can't knock either one. I'd say go with whatever you can actually get, cause, Covid and all....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,000 Posts
I know many people that like the HEDs and they work just fine. I would not recommend them for your use. Snow only. Nexties and Light Bicycle make great fat rims, some of them are lighter, but not as crazy light as the HEDs.

·
This place needs an enema
17,684 Posts
I might ride a set of the HED's if they were free, and if there was a backup set thrown in (also free) so that when the original set immediately died I could nurse the second set along for awhile before HED denied the warranty claim...

I have two fat wheelsets. One has Onyx and one has DT. They're both awesome, for different reasons.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have Nexties on my bike for about 3-4 years now. They've been reliable my rear one has damage from a rock strike but that's not on them so I'd say you should be fine with them.
I run mine tubeless, yes you need tape to cover the spoke holes. I use 3M 8896 tape with Orange Seal Endurance sealant with no problems.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have 3 sets of HEDs, run them year round, also weigh about 160 and have had no issues. one set has DT350s, they are a nice hub, esp with the 54T upgrade. I would like to try Onyx sometime, and may in the future, I wish they were lighter though. HED/Berd/Tune is a nice combo too, and only 1500g for the set.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,000 Posts
Any issues with running Nexties tubeless? Do they require tape?
Almost all tubeless rims require tape, unless they are the type built with no spoke holes on the rim, which requires a very complicated/time consuming building process. I would never build a wheel this way, it's not worth the trouble at the time or down the road IMO.

So yes, Nexties require tape. In my experience, the carbon rims from Light Bicycle and Nextie work better with tubeless than aluminum rims on average. The "shape" of the carbon rim is generally better than the extruded shape of the aluminum. Both can and do work for tubeless, but the carbon rim profile (made on a mold) is better IME. I'm using Tyvek tape, which is kind of a PITA to remove when it comes time, but each pass only weighs 2g, so for the two strips required for my 90mm rims, it's only 4g of rim strip. There are better rim strip options for less experienced tubeless users though, so I would recommend starting there. Lots of information and knowledge on these threads if you do a few searches and spend some time reading.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,000 Posts
Doublewall, yes. Singlewall, good luck getting it to stick.
Yes, singlewall is the same issue as HED. But for his use, it sounds like double-wall are probably what he wants, as he mentioned occasional rocky use, etc.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
FWIW, I have single-wall Nexties (built by Mike) that are sealed with a little dab of something at each spoke.

No tape.

They reliably held air all winter, last year (with help from Orange Sub-Zero Sealant).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.