Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My goal this summer is to become comfortable doing drops. Right now I'm getting pretty good at doing high speed drops as show in this video:
http://www.declinemagazine.com/visuals/fluidride/fluidride_vol1.htm

The problem i am having is that there are lots of very technical trails around here where its tough to carry that kind of speed into the drop, sometimes barely even moving. I'm working on the wheelie drop. But when watching some videos of riders on North Shore type stunts it seems like some guys can just fling their bikes into the air from a near standstill. What is the trick to this stuff? How does everyone handle these very slow, technical drops?

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Video says it all

I have that video from FluidRide and it covers the topic in detail. The video is loaded with slow motion shots and diagrams and arrows. I guess the only point to reiterate is that the slower you go, the further back you must push your weight in order to get the front wheel to hang long enough. The key is creating the pressure with the palms of your hands and getting the weight off the front wheel at the right time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, but I am wondering if there is another technque that some guys are using. It almost seems like a lot of people "jump" off the drop rather than just roll of like the technique in the video shows.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It almost seems like a lot of people "jump" off the drop rather than just roll of like the technique in the video shows.
My friend does that from a stand still drives me mad I can't do it, he also does street and dirt jumping , he seems to pull the front up and kick the pedal forward lifting and pushing and bunny hop in one, like patting your head while rubbing your stomach :)

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
dascro said:
Right, but I am wondering if there is another technque that some guys are using. It almost seems like a lot of people "jump" off the drop rather than just roll of like the technique in the video shows.
A sharp kick of your forward pedal (enough to do a wheelie-drop) can get you off a drop from a standstill. If you end up stalling out with your back wheel on the lip, you do have to kick again to jump the bike forward to keep your balance. I can't reliably wheelie-drop off anything much higher than a few feet, but some guys can do insane stuff this way.

JMH

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
jeffus said:
My friend does that from a stand still drives me mad I can't do it, he also does street and dirt jumping , he seems to pull the front up and kick the pedal forward lifting and pushing and bunny hop in one, like patting your head while rubbing your stomach :)
yea only diffrence is if you mess up your gonna faceplant. Yea i have a friend like that also and it drives me mad also that i cant do what we can.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
if you like riding logs, you figure out how to do it pretty quick. Do a little pedal kick, lean back a bit, and finish with a bunny hop. I have a hard time doing it off the ends of logs sometimes, but off the sides it feels natural- it's all in your head. I think thinking about it makes it harder, your body knows how to do it already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you should do what everone else is saying and you should start on something small so if you mess up, you wont go over the bars, if your going to do bigger stuff you should wear a fullface helmet because faceplants hurt quite alot and they make you look like you have been beaten up, which is embarrassing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.