Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Homegrown Tomato......
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a perfect fit 2000 Schwinn Homegrown. It is just like new. It is not a Yetti, but it is the tomato red made in USA. It has the Manatou SXr fork, XTR rear/XT front derailers, XT shifters, Avid V brakes(something 5), XT hubs, LX Hollowtech cranks, intense tires, kore post and stem, and race face bars. He has all the receipts from July 2000 for $1300.00...... He just said give him whatever.He says it has less than 50 miles on it and I believe him. What is it worth and what would you offer?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd buy it, ask him what his lowest price would be and go with that. It has nice components at least. If the frame is trash you can always take the xtr, etc. and put them on a nice frame. I'd pay personally $800-$1200 because it's 8 years old. Honestly not sure what it's worth.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I'd pay personally $800-$1200 because it's 8 years old.
It was purchased for $1300 brand new and you'd pay up to $1200 used...REALLY?

$650 would be fair for a bike that has a good (for its time) but not very serviceable fork (limited availability of parts and zero support from the manufacturer) and obsolete disc brake tabs. But the rest of the parts are pretty much compatible with current standards and it looks to be in fantastic condition.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I agree with mtnbiker72, though I'd probably just offer $600. The fork on there is a bit flexy, but has a very good damping system.

The frame itself is a bit of a mystery to me, since the stickers aren't what would come stock. It's either been re-stickered, or that frame has a history of some kind. Either way, it's a good find, and those Homegrowns still ride great today.

·
Homegrown Tomato......
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You guys made my day:)

I bought it after I posted. I added the pic of the whole frame after the original post. The Schwinn decal was added by me.( just had it made at a local sign shop .... I can't find any originals???)
He said the original started to come off when he was cleaning it up to sell. (which I read was common)

I paid $225.00 :thumbsup:

This thing climbs like a beast. I had a Moab disc many years ago, but it didn't seem the same.
I was a little hesitant on another mountain bike. I am 42 with a not so good lower back. I was going to switch to the dark side of riding....(road)..... Then I figured, for this price I could always do some kind of trade for a road bike if needed.........

Thanks

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
kevntri said:
I paid $225.00 :thumbsup:
:eekster:

Seriously? That is an absolute hell of a deal.

My Homegrown is still my go to bike, and it's nice having a frame which is worthwhile hanging good parts on.

Is the material sticker on it stock?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Any chance you could post a closer picture of the head tube?

It looks like it has the ICBM headset setup which the 2000-2001 Homegrowns used, but it has the full forged chainstay yoke which the 1999 and prior Homegrowns had. It makes me wonder if this frame wasn't a racing prototype. What's the serial number under the bottom bracket shell?

·
Homegrown Tomato......
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure will as soon as I get home..... about 4 hours or so.
I know the serial number starts 2K and it is the full forged yoke.
I have the original receipt from the bike shop in Chicago. I wouldn't think they would sell a prototype by mistake?
I appreciate all the info you are providing...... Thanks

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
kevntri said:
Yea ... It is the mystery alloy
It's the N'Lightened alloy - that was the first year they were using it, and they had a contest going for a customer to name it for them.

2001 it was N'lightened, and 2001.5 they were bankrupt.

·
Homegrown Tomato......
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here are the pics of the head tube and yoke. The serial is 2KBCA00114

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
That's fascinating to me. Your bike has some characteristics of a '99, and some of a '00. It's like a 1999.5 model. Even if it's not a prototype, it's still a very interesting specimen.

If I remember right, N'Lightened tubing was either scandium or a metal matrix like Specialized's M3 alloy. I think it was scandium.

It still makes me angry that Schwinn went under. They produced some really cool stuff that really rode very well.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
forkboy said:
It's the N'Lightened alloy - that was the first year they were using it, and they had a contest going for a customer to name it for them.

2001 it was N'lightened, and 2001.5 they were bankrupt.
They had models that weren't n'lightned and they had 2-3 different grades. This alloy was not Scandium, as stated above. They revealed it later in the last legs of Schwinn to be like 6063 or something like that. The "?????" leads me to believe it wasn't n'lightened, since their marketing campaign (even having magazine readers create the name before the introduction of the new line) focused on putting a brand on this tubing.

The N'lightend frames also had different construction, especiallty with the head tube and the "ram air" sear stay connector in the back. They had different "Labels", such as gold, for instance, to differentiate between the grades, though I think the differences were more in the lengths they went to for weight savings than alloy.

However, that and the 22mm disc mount on the back does point to being something from the era between 2000-2002. Even after they were bought, for one year, they were posing what was likely the remaining stock of the top end mtb and road model for 1 year. I even saw them at a bike show, but I was very doubtful it was the absolute top line model for the mtb, but the road model looked like it. 15 pounds, if I'm not mistaken. It's likely a Moab or something from that era, but in no way close to what the owner thinks its worth.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Hell of a deal at $225...ride it like you stole it because you did!

Schwinn made some simply awesome product in the mid 90's to early 00's. There product was not the reason they went under...GT was. More specifically purchasing GT and trying to absorb $80 million in debt from GT and Riteway.

Had Schwinn not purchased GT, I believe they would still be pumping out fantastic product today instead of the low end stuff (at least MTB...they have some pretty bad a$$ road stuff) we see now. I had a 2001 Rocket 88 and it was a fine riding full suspension, its too bad they dropped that design because its a good (vs the 2000 which wasn't so good) multi-link design that is all the rage now (VPP, DW-Link, Maestro).

Anyone ever see their Project Underground Homegrown frame...it was the baddest a$$ed hardtail frame of its time. It was only available to shop owners and employees...was either carbon fiber or thermoplastic and has a killer paint job!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
They had models that weren't n'lightned and they had 2-3 different grades. This alloy was not Scandium, as stated above. They revealed it later in the last legs of Schwinn to be like 6063 or something like that. The "?????" leads me to believe it wasn't n'lightened, since their marketing campaign (even having magazine readers create the name before the introduction of the new line) focused on putting a brand on this tubing.

The N'lightend frames also had different construction, especiallty with the head tube and the "ram air" sear stay connector in the back.

However, that and the 22mm disc mount on the back does point to being something from the era between 2000-2002. Even after they were bought, for one year, they were posing what was likely the remaining stock of the top end mtb and road model for 1 year. I even saw them at a bike show, but I was very doubtful it was the absolute top line model for the mtb, but the road model looked like it. 15 pounds, if I'm not mistaken. It's likely a Moab or something from that era, but in no way close to what the owner thinks its worth.
I need to dig up the thread which was discussing N'Lightened tubing.

The Moabs didn't have the forged chainstay yoke though. It really looks like a 99 and prior rear triangle and the 00-01 front triangle.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Anyone ever see their Project Underground Homegrown frame...it was the baddest a$$ed hardtail frame of its time. It was only available to shop owners and employees...was either carbon fiber or thermoplastic and has a killer paint job!
You mean one of these? :D

I'm not positive, but I think it was thermoplastic. What kills me is I look at the PU frame, and see the DNA for a great riding high end road bike. If would have pulled that over into their road bike line, they could have capitalized when Lance started winning, and we starting seeing the resurgence of road riding.

I remember seeing that Schwinn bought GT and not being able to figure out why. I agree, if would have just kept doing what they were doing, they'd still be around today. It's ironic that now Schwinn is being whored out in department stores, while GT is still a high end brand.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts