Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any one can help with this one would much appreciate?.My sram X9 Front deraillers trigger shifter is only 2 months old(mated with shimano xt front derailleur)Anyway working perfectly for the last 2 months until the last ride when the gear indicator on the front derailler trigger shifter went slightly out of alignment(instead of on gear 2 it aligned half way between 1 and 2 and instead of gear 3 it would sit between 2 and 3?The front derailleur worked fine changing gears just the gear indicator didn't line up?Now the gear indicator is stuck on gear 1 and won't move while it changes gears normally at the front derailler down below.Is this problem easy to fix and how do you fix it or will i have to send it back under warranty?Any one else have this problem?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Shift into the middle chainring. There are 3 or 4 (depending on year) small (like 3mm) allen bolts holding the shifter pod to the handlebar clam-shell perch. Carefully remove these and lower the black pod away from the upper silver portion. On top of the pod's guts you will see a toothed sprocket. Look up into the silver clamshell portion and you will see a white plastic ribbon with teeth on one side. These two are supposed to mesh and move the white ribbon, but yours is slipping. You need to carefully slide the ribbon until the gear indicator shows "2" and then reassemble. It may take a few tries. Be careful not to shift while you have the bits apart. You do NOT want stuff to go flying.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had the same problem with a x.9 rear trigger shifter on my titus. I took the time to do tscheezy's recommendation a couple times, but it only lasted for about 5 minutes into a ride before the indicator would stop working again. It seemed that once the indicator "ribbon" was bent it would just work it's way bent again. I didn't bother to try and get a replacement indicator from sram or anything, but it is kind of annoying.

I'm not sure how the teeth of that ribbon get bent unless it was done when it was assembled, but the shifter still shifts fine, and I don't really miss the it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.