Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, hopefully someone here knows the deal-this is my first build in a while so I apologize for any dumb questions-
so short story is I'm worries about clearance between the chainstay and rings, I'll attach a photo too.
Details are : Sram x7 double with GXP bb (threaded). Spacers installed as shown for 68 mm one on each side. Ive got about 1/8 inch betwwen the ring and chainstay, seems like if there's any flex it will chew up the frame...or does this seem about right?
Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
As long as your chain line is correct, the crank arms clear the stays, etc. you should be okay. My personal preference is for a little more clearance. But as long as nothing makes contact while riding you should be good to go. But I would check the chain line just to be sure.

Good Dirt

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
OK, GXP bottom brackets don't care about spacers on the drive side.. the chain line is controlled by the non drive side. Add spacers to the non drive side pulls the rings in, taking out spacers on the non drive side pushes the rings out.. the drive side bearing float on the spindle.. adding the spacers there are just to get a wider stance on the spindle to frame..

as to chain line.. with a 2x front on a 10 speed cassette if you are on the grannie gear, and the 4th ring from largest, the chain should be in a straight line with out any flex in or out,.. some people who use the larger ring 90% of the time like to shift it in a bit and line it up so the large ring front the chain line is straight back to the 5th ring instead of the 6th as it give the chain a better range to use the whole cassette..

honestly, I'd guess you'll be using the grannie very little? if so I'd leave it alone.. it's going to give you the best drive train life but running the chain as straight as possible during 80% of your riding. If you use the grannie a lot , then ya, pull the spacer on the non drive side and shift the cranks out on the drive side..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.