Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
See Spot bike
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who owns a Spot 29er SS (or can give some help), What rear brakes are you running?

I have been using an older version of the Hope Mini’s for several years without any problems; until lately the rear caliper has been sticking, even after a rebuild. So if I can’t get them fixed I will have to get something else to use on a permanent basis.

Here is my problem… Currently I have a spare set of Juicy 7’s which are fine, but, you have to remove the caliper in order to change the rear tire, wheel, ECT. (Which I never had to do with the Mini’s) I use the bike for racing and can’t be doing all of that if I get a flat tire.

I just want to know what other riders are using on there bikes and what kind of results they have had, in order to narrow my search down for possible candidates for new brakes.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I had the same problem with my xtr's and a pair of juicy 7's.
Picked up a pair of Formula k-24's. Problem solved!!!

There is a shop out of colorado that are selling tons of take off brakes on ebay.
Lot's of good deals to be had

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like cbrock, I'm running XTR's, and yes, I've got to loosen the rear caliper to remove the wheel. Nice to know the Formulas clear - might have to poach some off my wife's bike :D

You've probably thought of this, but if not, suggest you run tubeless. I've rarely had to fix a flat on the trail after you Stan's 'em up. Just a thought...

Good luck,

E

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
just to be clear, the k24s clear the rotor for wheel removal???

i have been running juicy ultimates on my ride (steel desalvo with paul horz dropous and a pacenti slotted disc mount). i recently bought a set of formula megas....but those are on another bike....thinking i need to switch!

for what it's worth., though my juicy ultimates have been great, the megas are just amazing in terms of feel and power!!!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I was referring to caliper not sticking to the brake pad not the other issue mentioned above.

I don't have the k24's on the spot

Kam said:
just to be clear, the k24s clear the rotor for wheel removal???

i have been running juicy ultimates on my ride (steel desalvo with paul horz dropous and a pacenti slotted disc mount). i recently bought a set of formula megas....but those are on another bike....thinking i need to switch!

for what it's worth., though my juicy ultimates have been great, the megas are just amazing in terms of feel and power!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used the Formula 18's (same as 24's) on my spot. When the rear wheel was toward the back of the sliders, I had to use small washers to raise up the caliper about 2mm. No problems with wheel removal. With the wheel further forward in the sliders, they worked great without the washers.

·
See Spot bike
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theycallmeE said:
You've probably thought of this, but if not, suggest you run tubeless.

E
Yes I do run tubless wheels, which I have had very little trouble with. But if I have to change out my brakes anyway, why not change them out for a set that will do what I want;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.