Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I own a 2014 Cannondale Scalpel 2 Carbon. The bike has a 73 mm BB30 botom bracket, and came with adapters to 24 mm spindle and a shimano XT with two chainrings, 10 speed.

I am considering removing the original crankset, and installing a crankset with a single chain ring, keeping the 10 speed rear gears. I have identified a couple of particular sellers that offer used Cannondale Hollowgram crank sets, but I am not sure of how to make sure they would fit my scalpel. The two crancksets that I am considering have the following codes on the spindle:

A3009-137L-J20
A3009-137L-L19

Can someone help me understand the meaning of the above codes? How would I check that one of the above spindle-cranksets would fit my BB30 73 mm bottom bracket and my scalpel carbon 2?

Many thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you can find the ho

I would strongly suggest you contact Cannondale about compatibility as there are differences with the introduction of BB30A that convolutes things even more.

I think you need a 137 mm width spindle and a Hollowgram SI gen 1 (bonded arms) or a Hollowgram SL set of crank arms. Do not use the Cannondale Hollowgram carbon crank arms the aluminum ones are superior and lighter.

Refer to this document for latest gen crank parts for Cannondale Hollowgram.
https://www.cannondale-parts.de/Web...99CB/51A4/5CB9/1941/C0A8/2ABB/631D/SI2016.pdf

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can find the ho

I would strongly suggest you contact Cannondale about compatibility as there are differences with the introduction of BB30A that convolutes things even more.

I think you need a 137 mm width spindle and a Hollowgram SI gen 1 (bonded arms) or a Hollowgram SL set of crank arms. Do not use the Cannondale Hollowgram carbon crank arms the aluminum ones are superior and lighter.

Refer to this document for latest gen crank parts for Cannondale Hollowgram.
https://www.cannondale-parts.de/Web...99CB/51A4/5CB9/1941/C0A8/2ABB/631D/SI2016.pdf
Many thanks Cleaner!!!!! Indeed, I have been looking and studying specs and I am not 100% sure of whether the used crack sets that I am finding would work out. I will see if any other member has further advice, and will contact cannondale also, I do lo find any other way……. Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Many thanks Cleaner!!!!! Indeed, I have been looking and studying specs and I am not 100% sure of whether the used crack sets that I am finding would work out. I will see if any other member has further advice....
AFAIK, the 137mm spindle with the appropriate spacers (as noted in @Cleaner 's pdf link above) are what you need. Any C'dale mtb or road crankarm set should work. Forged (non SI), SI, SISL, or SISL2,

I've always found it more cost effective to buy the crankarms used, and get the spindle new.

I'm personally a fan of the Wolftooth Camo system since it's so much easier to change the chainrings

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AFAIK, the 137mm spindle with the appropriate spacers (as noted in @Cleaner 's pdf link above) are what you need. Any C'dale mtb or road crankarm set should work. Forged (non SI), SI, SISL, or SISL2,

I've always found it more cost effective to buy the crankarms used, and get the spindle new.

I'm personally a fan of the Wolftooth Camo system since it's so much easier to change the chainrings

Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thank you very much!!!
No worries. Here's an old post that might help.

Also, my arm types list was a little off:

Forged Si (now called ONE) -- forged with pocket on the inside face
Hollowgram SI (now called just Hollowgram) - hollow inside (presumably forged around a sand core then emptied of sand)
Hollowgram SISL2 (milled two piece clam shell glued together)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries. Here's an old post that might help.

Also, my arm types list was a little off:

Forged Si (now called ONE) -- forged with pocket on the inside face
Hollowgram SI (now called just Hollowgram) - hollow inside (presumably forged around a sand core then emptied of sand)
Hollowgram SISL2 (milled two piece clam shell glued together)
MANY THANKS!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.