Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girl and I have been out here in prescott looking at houses this week and I am wondering about the riding possibilites for two specific areas:

1. out Copper Basin road - there is a house we like that is about 1 mi from the point where the pavement ends. I am wondering what the trails are like out that way. Any good connections to make large loops? It looks like there might be a lot of OHV traffic in there - true? In addition to being a good MTB spot, it needs to be a good place for the girl to go tral running with the dogs. The only signed trail I could find out there is 391 which looks like it connects to a decent network of trails: 51, 332, 730, 321, 9401j, etc... - is this good riding?

2. Nathan Ln off Senator Highway - it looks like it would be easy to get to Turley Tr which connects to 126, 62, 9854, 299, etc...

What are your thoughts on the riding in these two areas? Which would you prefer to live right next to?

All input greatly appreciated - especially from Jm, the king of Prescott info

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Kind of a toss-up. The copper basin area has some decent trails, and you can actually ride a trial that is on the side of the road for a while, up to the trail 48 (aspen creek) trailhead. From here you can do a pretty good loop on single track (1700 vert descent) and come back up. Unfortunatly, that is about the highlight of the Thumb Butte area, there are a few cool singletracks within it, BUT they are very short and not "linked". There's a plethora of dirt roads back there, but for mountain biking I do not think it's that great (still, it's not "bad" and you'll be able to ride a cool trial from your house).

There will be OHV traffic. IMO not a lot, but you'll see them. It's not like they are comming and going all the time or anything. There are some better "specific" OHV areas out off of Iron Springs Road and Senator Highway.

Off of Senator Highway you will have some good options as well. You will be able to link up with Turley trail by either going up 299 or wherever "Nathan" is. There are some pretty big loops you can do from here, by going up turley trail and then hooking up with trail 62, 299, 297 and 305 and just making a big loop. There's also some great descents(plural) around 7 mile gulch. You could also go up 299 from Spruce Mtn Road and do much the same loop. There is also Groom Creek trail which while short, is a pretty darn good climb up to 7700 feet in about 3.5 miles, and then there's a cool 5.5 mile roller-coaster downhill on the other side. This could be included with the other trails for a "mega-loop". There are also more possibilities as you go out on Senator Highway, Yankee Doodle, Potato Patch, and others.

The reason that it's a Toss-up is that copper-basin will be closer to the city, while not being "urban" or anything. There's also the winter, and while any snow does not hang around (especially in the city and granite-basin areas), up there on Senator Highway it "can" pile up from time to time. It's not unusual for most of Thumb Butte to be clear and Granite Basin to be 100% clear, but the upper reaches of Spruce Mtn may have too much snow and ice that can hang around from a few weeks to a few months. Above all, we do not get a lot of snow or anything, but the riding that IS affected by what little we get is off of Spruce Mtn Road. It's also not a big deal to drive to any other trailheads within prescott if you live near another, it's like a 15 minute drive at the most, and we have so many options that it's not really a big deal where you live IMO.

I really wouldn't be judging so much on the trails and riding, they are both good. I think Senator Highway gets the edge. I'd probably prefer Senator Highway myself, but I like hte solitude and even though it's a little further from the city, it's really not that far compared to how far outside of a city I lived in california. It was much more "rural" and just a crap-load of driving to get to a city. A 4x4 is a lot more usefull up Senator Highway, but it would probably be my choice. There's quite a few trails up there.

It sucks today because it was a cool 70 degrees untill about 1pm, then we got a break from the clouds and it shot up to about 80, then the thunderstorms took over again and it's back down to around 70.....It's hell I tell you :D

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jm. I really want to thank you. I have been looking for the perfect place to land in my move back west and through the input of both you and Paul B, we put prescott into the consider list. My girl and I are so sold on this place (and we are a hard sell). Hopefully, we will be making an offer on a house next week! When I get settled, I owe you some serious beer on me. Thanks again for all your help...

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Well, I wasn't very decisive on the issue, but the way that I'd really look at it is that; both are great in terms of riding, choose the better house/other issues that are important to you. Better riding edge definitely goes to Senator Highway, but Copper Basin (the thumb butte area) doesn't "suck" at all, it's got singletrack and riding too.

Once you get here, you must not tell anyone how great it is...although I can't help myself :D

Prescott, Sedona, Cottownood, Flagstaff, Phoenix....

So much to ride....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jm makes some good points. I would give some thought to how often you will be coming to town. Copper Basin will be a little more convenient for those trips to town. For us the access to downtown was a benefit that we didn't give much thought to. We fell into a great neighborhood within walking distance to downtown are glad we did. It seems there is always something going on down there.

I like to look at Prescott area riding as three different areas. Granite Mountain, Thumb Butte, and Spruce Mountain. These are the hubs of areas that all have good riding. The Spruce Mountain area has some great riding but is the southern end of the Prescott area. The Copper Basin area is the most central in the riding scheme of things. All these areas can be linked through trails and dirt roads if you are not afraid to do some miles. I was thinking about trying some grand loop linking all three areas when the heat mellows a bit.

I'm sure you will be happy with your decision regardless of where you end up. This is a great little town that is rapidly being discovered. I like to hear about new riders coming to town. If our town is going to grow, we may as well fill it up with riders.

Shu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.