Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
these poster profiles are great

LandonVega said:
I was planing build some skinnies and i was wondering the best way to build them strong and lasting.
I was gonna cut you some slack and not bother replying to your ineptly worded barely intelligible post, figuring that you might be posting from some foreign country, and so the fact that you can speak any english at all is to be lauded, not criticized. But since you're from Nevada, I went ahead and posted. What kind of plane are you using on your skinnies? Be careful not to plane off too much.
Anybody got a clue what's he yammering on about?

·
Mmm... Tasty
700 Posts
bulC said:
Anybody got a clue what's he yammering on about?
Ummm.... yeah.... skinnies are the narrow elevated (usually) structures that frequent the North Shore of Vancouver, BC. Originally designed to prevent mountain bikers from damaging fragile sections of trail, they have become a trail riding obstacle and challenge in their own right. I don't know why you would *need* a set of skinnies down in Nevada, but hey, whatever floats your desert-surrounded boat.

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/structures/structuresgood.htm

I hope you aren't this judgemental all the time...

-Damon

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to clarify some things. I am building these for fun and for a challenge. There is also not a lot of trails around Nevada. And the last thing I have to say is that i am not a scholar. I probally even spelt that wrong.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
LandonVega said:
I probally even spelt that wrong.
Classic :D

Assuming you are talking wooden skinnies (not road wheels), I just want to say use Cedar or treated lumber, do not use regular pine if you want it to last.

A good cheap way is to get 1 or more 2x6's and then a 6x6 cut into short sections (like 8"). Cut enough blocks to put one down every 4 feet or so, and use this as your base for the boards. It is only 6" off the ground, so it won't eat yoru rear D if you fall off, and it is ALL under the boards, so if you go off you wont hang a wheel and endo. You just use wood screws to attached the boards to the blocks and it is very stable. (We use this in NC to go over some perpetually muddy spots on otherwise dry trails...)

It is not that exciting to be only 6" off the ground, but it is a good, safe, cheap way to make a 30' or 40' or 100' long skinny and learn the skill, so when you DO get on elevated Skinnies, you won't break your neck.

If you are talking about elevated skinnies (or road wheels) I apologize for wasting your time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
here in VA

here in Virginia we just have fun on skinnies, its a great way to learn your bike and your body, I have good luck with the "lader style" and the "log ride" you should really buld a teter-toter!!! those never get old. mine is a regular pine log, with a hole drilled in it, through the hole is an axle form an old trailer, the axle is welded to an A frame. its kinda like a log ride T-tot of DOOM its really cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.