Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Purchased some spare skewers that were on sale on the advice of some people that basically told me it is handy to have an extra set floating around. Ended up getting a pack of Halo Porkies XL Skewers. The concern I have is that I ordered the 100mm Front and 135mm rear required for my back, but when I received the package they say 8.5mm thick. The specs for my bike off the website say 100x9mm and 135x9mm spacing. However, I looked for skewers after I saw the package online and I could not find any that gave those exact matches. Are the skewers I bought fine to run if I ever need them? Thank you! P.S. The Specs for my front and rear hub are below.

Front Hub: Formula 6-Bolt, disc, 100x9mm spacing, quick-release, 32H
Rear Hub: Formula SP-2125, 6-Bolt freehub, disc, 135x9mm spacing, quick-release

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
9mm (front) and 10mm (rear) skewers absolutely are a thing, but they've become MUCH less common since thru axles have become a thing. They were a sort of stopgap to help stiffen up the hub/frame and hub/fork interfaces on xc bikes with qr dropouts. DT Swiss RWS is one type of these. They require specific hubs to use (or the correct endcaps for hubs that use those). These hubs either have a larger axle to begin with, or the swappable endcaps allow them to be interchangeable with thru axle or quick release. They're often referred to as thru-bolts to distinguish them from thru-axles. A thru-axle threads into the frame or one side of the fork, whereas a thru-bolt has a nut on one side.

Regular skewers fit the hole through the axles of qr hubs. Hub specs that say 100x9 refer to the AXLE spec, not the qr spec. 135x9 is incorrect, it's actually 135x10. Someone was lazy with their product spec writing. Regardless, they both use skewers that are 5mm to pass through the hollow axle.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A quick release wheel has a hollow axle, 9mm in diameter at the front and 10mm at the rear drop-outs, with a 5mm diameter skewer that passes through it. Your porkies will fit fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank ya'll. Makes more sense now, glad to know those porkies will work if I ever need them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts